• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Cough syrup and hydrocodone

trolling123

Bluelighter
I have had bronchitis recently and need to use some cough meds, it says though that it has 10% alcohol. I know youre not suppose to mix alcohol with tylenol, so should i not take them together or close to each other? I am not sure if the alcohol in the cough syrup will effect my body compared to normal liquor or if it has a difference.

Acetaminophen and alcohol is a really toxic combination for your liver. It would be best if you did a cold water extraction on your pill (I'm assuming you have a vicoden or something else with acetaminophen). There is tons of information how to do this online but I will give you the basics. Crush your pills up into a fine powder. Mix well into warm water. Cool the water down... by putting it in the freezer or in a bowl of ice. Once its cold, run it through a coffee filter. Drink the liquid and throw away the coffee filter and any particles it has collected. This will remove most of the tylenol from your pills.

Last edited:
Acetaminophen and alcohol is a really toxic combination for your liver. It would be best if you did a cold water extraction on your pill (I'm assuming you have a vicoden or something else with acetaminophen). There is tons of information how to do this online but I will give you the basics. Crush your pills up into a fine powder. Mix well into warm water. Cool the water down... by putting it in the freezer or in a bowl of ice. Once its cold, run it through a coffee filter. Drink the liquid and throw away the coffee filter and any particles it has collection. This will remove most of the tylenol from your pills.
I normally am not on the vicodin, just that way for this month only. Dont really want to go through the trouble of doing a CWE. I just am not sure if this alcohol is the same as normal alcohol that you'd be drinking. Is it like actual alcohol that would get you drunk and go into your liver? Or does it even matter?

No you don't have to do a CWE... you will survive without it, but it is a good habit to get in to.

Pretty sure the alcohol in cough syrup is ethanol, same as in beer/wine/spirits.

How much are you taking? Just a few teaspoons?

At recommended dosages, I shouldn't think you'd be taking in enough alcohol to be much concern, assuming you're not eating Vicodin like Skittles, and this is purely while you're sick.

But why the Vicodin for "this month only"?

No you don't have to do a CWE... you will survive without it, but it is a good habit to get in to.

Pretty sure the alcohol in cough syrup is ethanol, same as in beer/wine/spirits.

How much are you taking? Just a few teaspoons?
Ive tried CWE before and it never ended up that successful. Id always have liquid going down the side of the cup/onto the table and not going down the filter. But either way i'd only ever be taking the recommended dose of 30ML once or tops twixe daily. Most likely just a regular dose.

At recommended dosages, I shouldn't think you'd be taking in enough alcohol to be much concern, assuming you're not eating Vicodin like Skittles, and this is purely while you're sick.

But why the Vicodin for "this month only"?
I don't want to list all my alignments, but i basically am seemingly going to need opiates the rest of my life for my issues (lets hope not). I normally am on oxys, but this month me and my doc had me go on the vicodin just to "break things up" and "switch up" what medicine i was taking . I can end up taking 6 a day at my worst.

Any ideas? Coughing my ass off and don't want to take anything stupidly.. If i have to i'll see if my local store has cough gels, but once they ran out like months ago i havent seen them re stock ><. I know the local riteaid doesnt have them either

Last edited by a moderator:
How many Vicodin are you eating, exactly? What all is in this "cough syrup"? Hopefully you're taking the syrup as directed, as in, probably less than an ounce.

APAP is bad for your liver anyway, that tiny amount of alcohol isn't going to make a difference.

And if you're only taking your Vicodin as prescribed, you've got nothing to worry about.

How many Vicodin are you eating, exactly? What all is in this "cough syrup"? Hopefully you're taking the syrup as directed, as in, probably less than an ounce.

APAP is bad for your liver anyway, that tiny amount of alcohol isn't going to make a difference.

And if you're only taking your Vicodin as prescribed, you've got nothing to worry about.
Usually up to 6 a day and its a dextromethorphan , doxylamine, and Guaifenesin mix... 30ML is a single dose and i wouldnt take more than a dose a day , max 2 if i need it in the morning and night while im sick with the bronchitis. So i am probably taking 2000MG apap a day. So if i take a normal 30ML dose tonight a couple hours (2-3 maybe?) after taking my night time pain med i should be safe and it not matter?

I really wouldn't be worrying about the alcohol. Hopefully you've looked through our threads on withdrawal, if you're more dopesick than bronchitis sick.

Cause if you just wanted to suppress cough, all the that hydrocodone should do it by itself. If you just wanted to potentiate the opiates, the anti-histamine is all you need.

Dextromethorphan (and guaifenesin) get people confused, between helping with withdrawal (by suppressing cough maybe) and causing general calm spaciness; and potentiating, which there's no reason to believe they'd do; or preventing tolerance, which has to do with NMDA receptors and probably won't happen with a little cough syrup.

I really wouldn't be worrying about the alcohol. Hopefully you've looked through our threads on withdrawal, if you're more dopesick than bronchitis sick.

Cause if you just wanted to suppress cough, all the that hydrocodone should do it by itself. If you just wanted to potentiate the opiates, the anti-histamine is all you need.

Dextromethorphan (and guaifenesin) get people confused, between helping with withdrawal (by suppressing cough maybe) and causing general calm spaciness; and potentiating, which there's no reason to believe they'd do; or preventing tolerance, which has to do with NMDA receptors and probably won't happen with a little cough syrup.
Well im not in WD or anything like that lol , but its more so an excuse to drink the cough syrup while i have bronchitis. More so to potentiate i guess... Im sure that little amount won't hurt me much im sure, its like taking 30ML of wine i guess with the dxm and etc . Just worried if im up to 2600MG of apap in 24 hours if it matter but that little im sure wont do much damage