• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cotton fever

Edaw'Naflagn

Bluelighter
Had horrible cotton fever for 24+ hours... I was boiling hot, legit I felt like I was laced with PCP and wanted to die. It wasn't right after the injection, so odd is that the shot was clean as I felt very nice for about 3 hours than bam; it hit HARD and I slowly started burning from the inside out. I felt like I was sick or in WD but the worst was the fever like effect. This effect lasted for 24+ hours... I had no way in fixing this and felt so bad it was one of the worst feelings ever... How could I NOT have this happen the next time I feel like shooting up? I'm stopping IV use for a while and I didn't start but a few weeks ago. I suppose this is good but I feel like WD is going to be a bitch even if I snort my oxy's. Also how in the fuck did I get cotton fever? I use fresh clean cotton from cotton balls and rip of a small pice an roll it up to work with the amount of water I have. Was it due to dirty hands? The cotton was 100% fresh and new so idk how this even happened unless I had something on my fingers when I rolled it up and when I pressed to roll it must have containmanited it? I'm not sure if anyone can help with how to not get cotton fever please post something for me.

Likely from a small piece of cotton getting stuck in syringe and then in your veins . Isn't it just the worst pain ? I had it so badly from stupidly using old cottons from my garbage that I passed out in my bathroom and hit my head on the granite floor .

I find IV strong opiates , a hot bath , and vasodilators like cayenne to help a lot . The hot bath especially .

It's because you have something foreign in the blood that needs to get out so your body freaks out while it fights it . It wants dilation and heat .

-lenses

I had it so bad once too. I was delerious and in and out of sleep for about 6-8 hours. my fever was really high and when it was breaking it caused me to sweat so bad that i actually had sweat pools in my eye sockets. My headache was unbearable. It sucked! From what i have read its a bacteria that actually grows on the cotton.

How're you now? Any more bouts of CF? I got CF once, and once was enough for life!

Sterile, sterile, sterile. Hand washing, purified water, clean needle, draw correctly, etc. I allowed a friend to draw me and I believe he used water bottle, not my sterile water. (wasn't paying attention) I use a particular type of cotton I didnt have that day either, he used cig filter. Haven't experienced CF again.

Cotton Fever isn't caused from cotton in your veins. It's actually caused from bacteria on your skin, or in old cottons. A Dr told me this. It is hell, so like someone said, sterilization is your friend.

Cotton fever is a condition that is often associated with intravenous drug use, specifically with the use of cotton to filter drugs like heroin. It has been established that the condition derives from an endotoxin released by the bacteria Pantoea agglomerans which colonizes cotton plants, not from the cotton itself

The best thing to do would be to boil your cottons before use. Another precaution is to just never re-use any cottons, because the bacteria has had more time and chances to develop as it sits there after you've drawn up your solution. It's an unavoidable risk to any IV user (because cotton is the only realistic and practical filter for that ROA, and you should never not use a filter), so if you are concerned about getting it those are the steps you can take to at least decrease the likelihood of getting it.

It's strange how little is known about cotton fever by the general population, but from what I've read it affects the workers in cotton processing farms/plants because they end up breathing in a whole bunch of that bacteria into their lungs and it causes them to go through the same symptoms as people suffering because of their IV use. I have had cotton fever three times and it is one of the most unpleasant things I've ever felt. One time when I had it I even considered going to an emergency room but I knew if I did all my efforts to conceal and protect my status as an IV user would turn to shit, so I lay in bed puking my guts out for about four to six hours(not sure how I vomited that much, it was kiddie pool sized amount) with back spasms, headache, and extreme shits. If that sounds nasty, it was.

Yeah. Definitely not from cotton going into your veins lol. It is usually characterized by extreme throbbing pain in the kidneys, feeling really cold, maybe some seizing and nausea. I have had it a few times before and it scared the shit out of me. I have a feeling that the bacteria from the cotton plant may be able to grow when cottons get wet and are reused, it could potentially be from other bacteria injected straight into the veins and attacking the kidneys. It is a fucking horrible experience and the last time I had it I didn't understand that it was from the cotton and I shot up again (sleep deprivation derp) and it hit me twice as hard, I was curled up in a ball crying and shaking uncontrollably for a few hours.

Fuck intravenous drug use.