• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cost of Certified Reference Materials (Chemicals)

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Is there a material (huge) difference between the cost of certified reference materials (chemicals) and other? And if so: what would you estimate the difference to be (possibly expressed as a percentage)? By "other" I don't mean of the cost of the (possibly questionable) Chinese variety i.e. I'm referring to the registered, regulated. and reputable chemical manufacturers and suppliers that supply certified reference materials (chemicals).

I realize it's possibly a moot point i.e. depending on the reference material (chemical) said manufacturers and suppliers seem to, usually anyway, only supply certified reference materials (chemicals) i.e. there's no lower grade alternates.

This isn't rocket science to the experienced I'm sure. Neither is it sourcing. Nor is it price discussion. Matter of fact it ties in with two threads and one of which being the UK/Cocaine/MDMA thread.

For the UK/Cocaine/MDMA thread anyway: I'm trying to figure out something for the sake of argument.

Take a look at the pricing of Cocaine and/or ecgonine related products below for example. And note that the quantities sold are in micrograms or milligrams. But all are certified reference materials (chemicals).

Point being: even at a fraction of these prices there is no way that Cocaine could be synthesized and still be affordable to the UK government and/or proposed end users and/or proposed programs. But that's the question i.e. are these astronomical prices simply because said materials (chemicals) are certified reference materials (chemicals) whereas "lesser forms" would be a L-O-T cheaper.

And these prices don't vary much from supplier to supplier just by the way. And some may have to change the country/language codes on some sites in order for pricing and availability to be shown (if you look for other suppliers to compare with that is e.g. the price and availability of -(-)methylecgonine may or may not show up on some sites if the country/language code is set to USA).

Too lazy to do this myself (sorry) but you could look at something more common on sigma/tocris and then compare it to getting the commodity version of the chemical (say any amino acid or something else sold freely).

You would want a handful of different comparisons (to see if the markup is consistent), but this would by my way to answer the question without any prior knowledge.

Too lazy to do this myself (sorry) but you could look at something more common on sigma/tocris and then compare it to getting the commodity version of the chemical (say any amino acid or something else sold freely).

You would want a handful of different comparisons (to see if the markup is consistent), but this would by my way to answer the question without any prior knowledge.
Thank you kind Sir. Good thinking there. :)

using anything that is super pure for hplc standards is alot more expensive. Infact when i did my undergrad our uni was so fucking poor i could not get pure enough amines for my research project so my reactions never worked out lol.

using anything that is super pure for hplc standards is alot more expensive. Infact when i did my undergrad our uni was so fucking poor i could not get pure enough amines for my research project so my reactions never worked out lol.
Hey. Thanks to you too. Interesting. Will continue my research. Although I think that I just, inadvertently, solved the UK/Cocaine/MDMA issue. Well: a part thereof anyway i.e. the Cocaine cost (no 100% synthesis would be necessary). Feel like a bit of a dumb shit i.e. dunno why it never occurred to me before (it's not like it's something I didn't know about).

certified reference materials are almost always prohibitively expensive, they are meant for use a chromatographic standards and not for synthesis etc.
expect several hundred $ for less than 1 gram

certified reference materials are almost always prohibitively expensive, they are meant for use a chromatographic standards and not for synthesis etc.
expect several hundred $ for less than 1 gram
Yeah well. The said chemicals which were of interest are not sold as anything other than certified reference materials i.e. there's no super-saver-bulk-discount-family-packs available. Not from reputable suppliers anyway. China for sure. But not risking limited resources on the off chance it's legit.

Anyway. Moot points. I believe the synthesis route has been ruled out (for various reasons including, but not limited to, the above). Exhaustively so and then some.