Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cory Booker Looks Forward to Working on Drug Policy Reform With Rand Paul

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Cory Booker Looks Forward to Working on Drug Policy Reform With Rand Paul
Jacob Sullum|Oct. 23, 2013 6:44 pm

" Newark Mayor Cory Booker, freshly elected to fill the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Frank Lautenberg's death last June, says he looks forward to working with Republicans as well as Democrats on drug policy reforms such as eliminating mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent offenders. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal yesterday, Booker mentioned Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) in particular, saying, "I want to work with him. I take everybody in the Senate as sincere people who want to make a difference." Paul is co-sponsoring legislation that would effectively make the minimum sentences set by federal statute advisory rather than mandatory. "The injustice of mandatory minimums is impossible to ignore when you hear the stories of the victims," he told the Senate Judiciary Committee last month. "I am here to ask that we begin today the end of mandatory minimum sentencing." "

http://reason.com/blog/2013/10/23/cory-booker-looks-forward-to-working-on

RAND PAUL for president.=D

Senator Rand Paul’s testimony before Senate Judiciary Committee on “Reevaluating the Effectiveness of Mandatory Minimum Sentences.”
Published on 18 September 2013 by admin in Press Releases
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sen. Rand Paul today testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on “Reevaluating the Effectiveness of Mandatory Minimum Sentences.” Below is the video and text of his testimony.

TRANSCRIPT:
Good morning. Thank you for allowing me to testify about mandatory minimums.

If I told you that one out of three African-American males is forbidden by law from voting, you might think I was talking about Jim Crow 50 years ago.

Yet today, a third of African-American males are still prevented from voting because of the War on Drugs.

The War on Drugs has disproportionately affected young black males.

The ACLU reports that blacks are four to five times more likely to be convicted for drug possession although surveys indicate that blacks and whites use drugs at similar rates. The majority of illegal drug users and dealers nationwide are white, but three-fourths of all people in prison for drug offenses are African American or Latino.

Why are the arrest rates so lopsided? Because it is easier to go into urban areas and make arrests than suburban areas.

Arrest statistics matter when applying for federal grants. It doesn’t take much imagination to understand that it’s easier to round up, arrest and convict poor kids than it is to convict rich kids.

The San Jose Mercury News reviewed 700,000 criminal cases that were matched by crime and criminal history of the defendant.

The analysis revealed that similarly situated whites were far more successful than African Americans and Latinos in the plea bargaining process;

In fact, “at virtually every stage of pretrial negotiation, whites are more successful than non-whites.”

I know a guy about my age in Kentucky, who grew marijuana plants in his apartment closet in college.

Thirty years later, he still can’t vote, can’t own a gun, and when he looks for work he must check the box, the box that basically says: “I’m a convicted felon and I guess I’ll always be one.”

He hasn’t been arrested or convicted for 30 years—but still can’t vote or have his Second Amendment rights. Getting a job is nearly impossible for him.

Today, I’m here to ask you to create a safety valve for all federal mandatory minimums.

Mandatory sentencing automatically imposes a minimum number of years in prison for specific crimes — usually related to drugs.

By design, mandatory sentencing laws take discretion away from judges so as to impose harsh sentences, regardless of circumstances.

Since mandatory sentencing began, America’s prison population has quadrupled, to 2.4 million.

America now jails a higher percentage of its citizens than any other country, at the staggering cost of $80 billion a year.

Recently, Chairman Leahy and I introduced the Justice Safety Valve Act.

The legislation is short and simple. It amends current law to provide “authority to impose a sentence below a statutory mandatory minimum.”

In other words, we are not repealing mandatory minimums on the books – we are merely allowing a judge to sentence below a mandatory minimum if certain requirements are met.

There is an existing safety valve in current law, yet it is very limited. It has a strict five-part test and only about 23 percent of all drug offenders qualified for the safety valve.

The injustice of mandatory minimum sentences is impossible to ignore when you hear the stories of the victims. John Horner was a 46-year-old father of three when he sold some of his prescription painkillers to a friend.

His friend turned out to be a police informant, and he was charged with dealing drugs. Horner pleaded guilty, and was later sentenced to the mandatory minimum of 25 years in jail.

Edward Clay was an 18 year old and first time offender when he was caught with less than 2 ounces of cocaine. He received 10 years in jail from a mandatory minimum sentence.

Weldon Angelos was a 24-year-old who was sentenced to 55 years in prison for three marijuana sales.

Federal Judge Timothy Lewis recalls a case where he had to send a 19-year-old to prison for 10 years for conspiracy. What was the “conspiracy?”

This young man had been in a car where drugs were found. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sure one of us might have been in a car in our youth where someone might’ve had drugs.

Before the arrest, this young man was going to be the first in his family to go to college.

Each case should be judged on its own merits. Mandatory minimums prevent this from happening.

Mandatory minimum sentencing has done little to address the very real problem of drug abuse while also doing great damage by destroying so many lives.

I’m here today to ask you to let judges start doing their jobs.

I’m here to ask that we begin the end of mandatory minimum sentencing.

http://www.randpaul2016.com/2013/09...ng-effectiveness-mandatory-minimum-sentences/

Good to see Rand Paul championing the rights of a demographic that will probably never vote for him because of the R next to his name.

Yet today, a third of African-American males are still prevented from voting because of the War on Drugs.

Is this stat accurate? That's pretty amazing. That's like 15 million people.

I dont understand that R either.. his dad was a Libertarian and he was a Libertarian... allot if not all of his policy views are still Libertarian.. I think he is just sick and tired of getting the independent party exclusion treatment and wants in on all the debates etc.. plus look as the clowns the republicans keep and keep and keep coming up with for president. Being a Libertarian myself I am under the impression that he joined the republicans not because he is a republican but because he needs to have a chance and with all the bullshit about throwing your vote away he needed to do something.. who knows maybe he can make libertarian policy republican policy?

EDIT: if he can do this we may actually have the choice between two different parties instead of two parties that agree on 90% of everything and just make a big to do about the other 10% of issues.

Also Cory Booker is a Democrat

Last edited:
I dont understand that R either.. his dad was a Libertarian and he was a Libertarian... allot if not all of his policy views are still Libertarian.. I think he is just sick and tired of getting the independent party exclusion treatment and wants in on all the debates etc.. plus look as the clowns the republicans keep and keep and keep coming up with for president. Being a Libertarian myself I am under the impression that he joined the republicans not because he is a republican but because he needs to have a chance and with all the bullshit about throwing your vote away he needed to do something.. who knows maybe he can make libertarian policy republican policy?

I don't know much about the Pauls, but it seems to me that they identify as republicans so they can be viable presidential candidates. The US hasn't had anything but a Republican or Democrat in the White House since Millard Fillmore (1850).

Like I said before, get rid of primaries and you'll get rid of parties. Just have everyone vote for everyone at once, then have the top two vote-getters go to a runoff.

Rand Paul is a Republican so he has a chance at the Prez office in 2016. If he was Libertarian he would just not have the funding and connections to the republican party that could let him get to the prez office. Unfortunately its politics. WE need a Paul in the White House, Ron is just too old now and he has been denied by the Mainstream media. Unless we get someone like Rand Paul in the white house we are gonna have someone like Hilary Clinton which basically means the USA will become a feminist-fascist-corporatetocracy. Yea its a word.

^ yeah, because a "free market economy" has worked so well for us. We certainly need to lift more restrictions so we can have another, bigger, better financial collapse. The libertarians may have some good ideas but their economic approach is flat out stupid.