• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Coricidin & Adderall tolerance

Coolgirl2014

Bluelighter
I've read that DXM can possible help reduce tolerance? I have coricidin. I've read this is very dangerous mixed with adderall or in high doses alone. But I'm planning on going on a week break or more from adderall. I've been taking adderall for only a month and a half every day. Normally one 15mg xr capsule sometimes 2 a day. Would taking a normal safe dose of the coricidin at night help lower tolerance. Again I will NOT be taking any adderall with it and I'm not trying to get high off the coricidin.

DXM reduces tolerances to opioids/opiates and not to Amphetamines as far as I know so the Coricidin is not necessary at all. Taking a week long break should be enough to lower your tolerance.

So yeah, take your break and start with a lower Adderal dose after that.

€: But generally Coricidin should always be avoided because DXM only products are cheap and easily available, so no need to take these nasty Coricidin products with their fucking ingredients.

Thank you for replying! I've tried doing as much research as I can on this through the site. I wouldn't say my tolerance is even that bad. The first two or three times were definitely a lot stronger but honestly I didn't like it. I found it too strong. The more subtle euphoria was good for me. And of this past month and a half its only been in the last week I've noticed that not necessarily fading but just not lasting as long. I'm thinking it may be because I haven't been sleeping and I have not been eating properly or taking any vitamins. I've read on different threads that lack of sleep and malnutrition can cause adderall tolerance. So maybe instead of DXM I was going to try and build my health back up during my week off. I'm going to pick up magnesium with calcium and start taking that every day. Also I have b vitamins, vitamin c and multi vitamins. I also read that I-tyrosine helps repair the neurotransmitters adderall can effect. So I was planning on eating very healthy, lots of almonds other nuts, eggs, leafy greens and vegetables and lean meats. And of course getting plenty of sleep which will be no problem while not taking adderall. Should these steps be beneficial?

There are a few reports of people resetting their tolerance by taking NMDA antagonists, but one small dose of DXM is not enough, I think.
Taking a week long break should be enough to lower your tolerance.

So yeah, take your break and start with a lower Adderal dose after that.

€: But generally Coricidin should always be avoided because DXM only products are cheap and easily available, so no need to take these nasty Coricidin products with their fucking ingredients.
Really good advice

All of the things you are planning to do sound pretty good.

Yea I saw a couple different threads on this site where DXM was used to lower tolerance. But after rereading it sounds like a lot of people say you have to take the DXM with the adderall or as your coming down and I just don't like mixing stuff so if that's the only way it works I'm not going to do it.

Yea I saw a couple different threads on this site where DXM was used to lower tolerance. But after rereading it sounds like a lot of people say you have to take the DXM with the adderall or as your coming down and I just don't like mixing stuff so if that's the only way it works I'm not going to do it.

That's a good decision, Adderall and DXM can be harsh on your heart, maybe not in the dosages you take but better be safe than sorry :)

Coricidin should really be avoided. I've used it and I'm sure a lot of others have in our more naive days, but the Chlorpheniramine that's in it can be a real bitch.

You should do a little bit of research OP. I'm not going to source here, but most pharmacies in my area stock a couple of different Dextromethorphan products with no other active ingredients; pills and syrups. You can probably get some store brand for cheap.

Yea I know I could buy something else for pretty cheap at the pharmacy. But like I said above if the only way it will work is taking it alongside the adds I'm probably going to pass. Even if other dxm brands are less dangerous I just have a thing about mixing stuff. I don't like to do it. I was under the impression before that taking dxm while on a adderrall break could be beneficial. And I'm talking a normal dose as directed. I'm not into taking high doses of cough syrup. I personally don't see how it could be enjoyable as I hate the feeling even a normal dose gives me. But then again I really don't do a lot of drugs. Besides adderall of which I've taken 30mg at the most. I don't really like downers at all. I don't like smoking weed. And I do like painkillers but they don't chill me out. Probably because I only ever take 5mg at a time. I don't like dosing until your nodding off. I hate not being able to function well. I don't even like drinking in excess. Ha I'm a weird drug user I guess.

^That's a great attitude.
You could try taking normal doses of pure DXM whilst you are taking the break, maybe it'll help.
Have fun, stay safe

^Thanks kleinerkiffer. As contradictory as it sounds I try to be responsible whenever taking drugs. Which sounds completely stupid since taking drugs you don't need is irresponsible in itself ha. Ironically I have my HS cross country coach to thank for this attitude in a way. I ran all four years. And anyone who has done long distance running knows it's an extremely mental sport. I was in varsity and really think I got a lot of willpower from that sport. The mind is a very powerful thing. My coach strongly enforced overcoming the mentality you get during a race around mile 2 when you literally feel like there's no way you can keep going. I know it's a very weird comparison, comparing something healthy to drug use, but anytime I have a lot of adderall or pain killers on hand and just want to use day after day, and sometimes those urges do hit me if I'm having a bad or very stressful week of some sort, i find myself thinking about that mental state in the middle of a race and forcing myself not to use instead of giving in much like I would force myself not to stop and keep going during s race.

^Thanks kleinerkiffer. As contradictory as it sounds I try to be responsible whenever taking drugs. Which sounds completely stupid since taking drugs you don't need is irresponsible in itself ha. Ironically I have my HS cross country coach to thank for this attitude in a way. I ran all four years. And anyone who has done long distance running knows it's an extremely mental sport. I was in varsity and really think I got a lot of willpower from that sport. The mind is a very powerful thing. My coach strongly enforced overcoming the mentality you get during a race around mile 2 when you literally feel like there's no way you can keep going. I know it's a very weird comparison, comparing something healthy to drug use, but anytime I have a lot of adderall or pain killers on hand and just want to use day after day, and sometimes those urges do hit me if I'm having a bad or very stressful week of some sort, i find myself thinking about that mental state in the middle of a race and forcing myself not to use instead of giving in much like I would force myself not to stop and keep going during s race.

I can totally relate to this, I'm more or less a hypochondriac when it comes to drugs, so I always take as little as possible, don't binge and I'm sure this is what safe me from addiction.

I'm glad to see someone can relate to this. Most people don't often get how or why I use. I kind of compare it to other people liking to go out and drink and wind down. I don't really like drinking besides a glass of wine out to dinner. From time to time I'd rather pop a Percocet or have an adderall high for 5-6 hours while doing something fun. I think the reason most people don't believe in this is because for the average person getting high now and then isn't an option. It normally will turn into an addiction regardless of determination not to at the beginning. But I know that if I want to get high I have to exercise willpower. I took my first painkiller back in high school. Between then and now which is like 6 years I've done pain killers numerous times and adderrall here and there for a couple months on and off. I don't consider myself ever to have been addicted. I've never had a problem stopping or gone through any withdrawal. I've never panicked because I ran out and won't be able to get high the next day or resorted to stealing or selling stuff or gone into debt to afford drugs. I see some of the posts on here. Like people panicking because they ran out of pain pills and have to withdraw from over 100mg daily of whatever pain pill. Or people taking up to 300mg of adderall a day suffering through horrible comedowns of heart palpitations and psychosis because they are chasing that high. It just makes me never want to get that deep into it. It ruins the fun of getting high.

I'm glad to see someone can relate to this. Most people don't often get how or why I use. I kind of compare it to other people liking to go out and drink and wind down. I don't really like drinking besides a glass of wine out to dinner. From time to time I'd rather pop a Percocet or have an adderall high for 5-6 hours while doing something fun. I think the reason most people don't believe in this is because for the average person getting high now and then isn't an option. It normally will turn into an addiction regardless of determination not to at the beginning. But I know that if I want to get high I have to exercise willpower. I took my first painkiller back in high school. Between then and now which is like 6 years I've done pain killers numerous times and adderrall here and there for a couple months on and off. I don't consider myself ever to have been addicted. I've never had a problem stopping or gone through any withdrawal. I've never panicked because I ran out and won't be able to get high the next day or resorted to stealing or selling stuff or gone into debt to afford drugs. I see some of the posts on here. Like people panicking because they ran out of pain pills and have to withdraw from over 100mg daily of whatever pain pill. Or people taking up to 300mg of adderall a day suffering through horrible comedowns of heart palpitations and psychosis because they are chasing that high. It just makes me never want to get that deep into it. It ruins the fun of getting high.
That's exactly what I'm thinking too :D

Hey, if you don't like enjoy drinking a bunch of cough syrup like me, I suggest Robitussin or generic pharmacy brand (CVS, Walgreens, Assured brand) cough gels. Smooth and easy to swallow. Not as much DXM content as Coricidin, but provides for a safer and cleaner trip. Just a tip :)

Thanks for the tip :) but I'm not really interested in tripping off Dxm. I was asking solely for the purpose of lowering tolerance. But honestly I think a good week or two off adderall while loading my body with good vitamins food and water coupled with exercise and sleep is a better way to go anyway. It's been two days and I already feel ten times better. I didn't have any withdrawal but my body was definitely malnourished and sleep deprived from using and not making an effort to keep myself healthy.

Oops, I must of missed the last part where you mentioned you weren't trying to get high. My apologies! I tend to read pretty fast..

Anyways, the cough gels are still a better alternative.

You have the right mindset. Keep hydrated and just don't dose any Adderall for the next week or two and see where it gets you. DXM is good for lowering opiate tolerance, but with stimulants I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the link. There doesn't seem to be much information anywhere on simply taking the dxm while on a adderall break. It seems everyone is only concerned with using it alongside the adderall to prevent tolerance. I guess it's more for people who don't want breaks from the drug. I'm on my third day without so far and feel fine. I have no problem taking breaks. Just wish there was more info on helpful things do to while on my break. Also the magnesium confuses me. I went to cvs rite aid and Walmart and hair ended up buying magnesium with calcium and zinc. I couldn't figure out how to determine if it was chelate or what.