Copper Injection

Swim15

Bluelighter
I don’t think this is against the rules but not entirely sure. Can try to amend if so.

This is a long story but basically I’m copper deficient. Why is a question that has yet to be determined but I’m guessing my ulcerative colitis is behind it.

Copper levels in November were 27 (range 80-175).

Copper levels in January after supplementing copper chelate for 3 months were 61 (80-175).

Copper levels last week (without as much supplementation) were 47 (80-175).

Clearly oral supplementation isn’t doing it and I’ve had a hell of a time getting any doctor to address this so I’m trying to figure out how to compound an injection.

Any thoughts?

Part of me wants to just dissolve and filter copper bisglycinate in water with some BA but I’m not sure if there’s any issue with that. Have never done minerals before. Most medical places use cupric chloride but not sure if there was a specific reason or if glycinate would work fine.

Any apparent reason why that would be an issue?

I'd look into the already prepared veterinary solutions. They're already made accurately dosed with dosing guidelines. I wouldn't overdo it though

I'd look into the already prepared veterinary solutions. They're already made accurately dosed with dosing guidelines. I wouldn't overdo it though

That’s what I was thinking as well because i used to use a lot of them but all the sites that don’t require an rx that I used to use are gone. If you have any, definitely down to look

Guess this also semi applies to a Myers cocktail.

if it’s .2 micron filtered, do you guys think/know if it would be fine to put a vitamin mix into an IV saline bag and do an at-home infusion?

why can't you use oral supplements? I recall that even use of copper cookware is enough to boost dietary Cu levels.

IV administration of metals seems inherently risky, giving yourself copper poisoning doesn't sound fun.

why can't you use oral supplements? I recall that even use of copper cookware is enough to boost dietary Cu levels.

IV administration of metals seems inherently risky, giving yourself copper poisoning doesn't sound fun.
In the OP he says oral isn't working and posted his blood work values. Idk the safety of eating more and more pills if the absorption of the copper isn't happening

Oral admin isn’t working as serotonin pointed out.

I’ve got a couple theories as to why but it would be a lot to post up on here - I’ve run them by a functional medicine physician and he thinks I’m probably correct as he didn’t have any better ideas but the end result is that it’s still very low unfortunately.

I am very hesitant to go to an IV infusion although I would like to find a way to do some at home Myers cocktails if 0.2 micron filtering is enough sterilization for IV.

My preference for now would probably just be IM injection of chelated copper in moderate doses (don’t want toxicity as you pointed out) with additional blood work checks to make sure I don’t overshoot things.

All my blood work is free through insurance so not a huge deal there. Just wondered if anyone had a guess on whether glycinate would work alright for an application like that. Guessing it would but wanted to see if there were any second opinions

Obviously there's a relationship between metallothionein (ie zinc intake) and serum copper, and maybe your underlying GI issues play a role if that's part of the problem. Then there's more scary stuff like Wilson's, which presents with low serum Cu but accumulates dangerously in organs. Then there's high levels of chelating compounds - eg NAC, which can affect serum levels of metals. Lots of possible variables here.

Do you know what the serum levels of any other metals are like atm - eg zinc, iron etc?

Obviously there's a relationship between metallothionein (ie zinc intake) and serum copper, and maybe your underlying GI issues play a role if that's part of the problem. Then there's more scary stuff like Wilson's, which presents with low serum Cu but accumulates dangerously in organs. Then there's high levels of chelating compounds - eg NAC, which can affect serum levels of metals. Lots of possible variables here.

Do you know what the serum levels of any other metals are like atm - eg zinc, iron etc?

Yep I’ve had everything pulled - got 43 panels drawn last week lol.

Zinc is middle range, totally fine. Iron is on the higher end of normal. Selenium is just a hair over range but I supplement occasionally so I’ll probably just drop that.

Already got checked for Wilson’s because I had low ceruloplasmin as well which is one of my theories - very low deficiency can create low ceruloplasmin which is required to transport copper from the GI tract. Low transport equals low absorption so it’s kind of cyclical. May not be that but it’s one theory.

Overall underlying GI issue and a history of prolonged inflammation the last two years (finally under control) is also likely to blame.

Every peptide seller has put a cu based peptide on the roster in the last couple of years. Have you looked at those? People are claiming they are better than collagen+biotin+hgh+hyalauronic acid for keeping skin youthful. OK maybe not all of them vs simply cu, but it has been a bit of a fad.
I bought some GHK-cu. Did nothing for me. Was the most painful peptide injection I've had, which is saying a bit.