• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cooking with oils

I usually use mostly olive with whatever others I think will taste good (coconut, almond, walnut, rice, grapeseed, whatever I have). I would use coconut oil more if it was not so damn expensive. I rarely use sesame oil, and that usually is put on after cooking.

Olive oil is rarely hydrogenated (and you'd know if it was, it would be solid instead of liquid).

Olive oil is great for salads and raw but is not safe to cook with.

actually, EVOO naturally solidifies in the fridge.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it but Avocado oil is the best <3 :)

Agreed! :) One of the better tasting oils out there...

Oh and toasted sesame oil is great too... Pretty sure the toasting isn't so healthy but I love the flavor more than the regular sesame oil. Get Eden Foods brand.

I use coconut oil for cooking and always eat a big spoonful when I open the jar.

Margarine is cack; I'd consider it a poison, basically, given the processing it goes through.

I prefer to use olive oil unheated when possible. I cook/fry almost exclusively with coconut oil; butter, sometimes. Lard from healthy pigs if I'm on a certain farm.

Speaking of butter, I had the pleasure of raw milk butter, handmade last year from healthy, organic, pasture-fed cows. Absolutely nothing compares after that.

I use olive oil for cooking all the time, obviously you can't get it as hot as other oils - but does it become unhealthy if you use it for cooking? I frequently saute things in olive oil.

Me too, as far as I know its much healthier than most other oils

Fairnymph is incorrect in her assertion that heated olive oil is "unhealthy". This is simply not the case.

I use coconut oil for cooking and always eat a big spoonful when I open the jar.

Real strange to hear, because coconut oil is never solid in our climate, unless it is in the refrigerator. :)

I hardly use coconut oil in the US, because all the ones I bring over come in bottles (not jars) and it takes extreme patience to get them out.

Fairnymph is incorrect in her assertion that heated olive oil is "unhealthy". This is simply not the case.

Slightly heated - you are correct.

Heated beyond smoking point - no oil is safe there.

Different oils have different smoking points. Olive oil comes in at a much lower smoking point than lard, butter ghee, coconut oil and others. Olive oil is not the best candidate for fried foods, because we tend to overdo it a bit with the temperature dial. We tend to fry our foods with the heat up way too high. Otherwise we wouldn't have to worry about smoking points of oils.

Use butter ghee for frying. It's the best. Olive oil is best unheated. Coconut oil is best on your face or eaten as is.

how do you eat coconut oil raw? It's solid. What kind of foods could you use it in?

It's not always solid. Like I said, in tropical environments, it hardly solidifies.

If you live in cold places, you can take out your specified amount, put it in a smaller jar, and put the jar in a larger bowl of hot water. This will melt the oil without cooking it, and you can drink it like this as a supplement.

An apple is different. An apple is a fruit. Coconut oil is an oil. I'm not gonna eat straight oil out of a spoon, sorry.

Olive oil is great and good for you, one of the best types of oils you can use. When cooking though, most of the time you should not use extra virgin since it has a much lower smoke point.