View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cooking shrooms

ewawoowaa

Bluelighter
Just a quick question on shroom edibles and shrooms. Does cooking magic mushrooms make them lose potency/ destroy Psilocybin? Im just wondering if i melted a chocolate magic mushroom edible whether it would be destroyed? Many thanks.

Perhaps if you were careful with heating it (do it in a bowl above a saucepan of hot water on the stove) you won't lose too much potency, though honestly I can't say anything for sure. I mean people make mushroom tea which obviously uses hot water, and I believe it slightly reduces potency.

Someone with experience making tea etc will likely be able to shed some more light on how much potency can be lost due to heat, but I'd say if you brought it up to melting temperature slowly and didn't let it get any hotter or stay hot too long, you wouldn't lose any more than you would making a tea.

Of course it's safe to cook with magic mushrooms. At least up to 100C in tea, I litre of boiling water which steeped until it was at room temperature and then filtered and fridged. Gotta figure it would be super easy to cook whatever you want with magic mushrooms in a sous vide oven - so that opens up a lot of possibilities for cooking.

Also, since chocolate melts at a temperature much less than boiling water (be very careful and slow when you're melting chocolate) you can melt your chocolate and get to your shrooms if you want. They'd be dirty with chocolate of course, but you can then repurpose the shrooms to your liking.

And in the unlikely event that you need a mushroom recipe -

Salmon with garlic lemon butter sauce 122F for 45 minutes
Fennel with mushrooms 1/3 cup beef stock 183F for 3-4 hours.

You can play around with the beef stock and I imagine you could make a stir fry type of sauce so that it thickens up as it cooks. Since I've cooking the salmon at a higher temperature you'd have to cook it for less than 45 minutes. :)

Tom

I have never enjoyed the taste of any type of mushroom , even the edible varieties , and especially so the psilocybian shrooms . I tried many techniques , but could never quite mask the disgusting taste .
Then I read of Stamet's vodka tek extraction and found it to be the best ingestion method for me , with the added bonus of rapid onset after a couple of small shots and minimal nausea .

Yo just stick your boomers in a coffee grinder, pulse untill they are powdered.
Get some good eating chocolate sweet is preferred to bittersweet (godiva, whatever as long as its not baking chocolates) melt in a double boiler measure out 2 gram or 1.5 gram doses of your pulverized boomers & use honey or somthing if you are having trouble forming a ball. Then just cover them in chocolate.
Bam magic chocolate truffles!!!!
And they taste great. Like eating a chocolate power bar but way better.

If you really don't wanna eat the mushrooms just grind them to a fine powder and capsulate them. Weigh how much one cap holds (usually about 0.35g for me), then take the appropriate number of caps to get the dose you want, e.g. 10 caps = 3.5g for me.

This way you never have to taste them or bother infusing them into something. Plus I find they come on more slowly and last longer with this method, more like when you take other drugs in caps or pills. I find making drinks out of shrooms (or putting any drug in liquid and drinking it) makes the come up way too fast and uncomfortable and is generally like the experience is running at 1.5x speed. Makes bad trips more likely IME.

Making a tea for some minutes may be fine but that doesn't mean you can also afford the losses by using shrooms in dishes like the salmon taking 45 minutes. Of course you don't have to cook the shrooms for that same entire time, but be aware of that if you want to get culinary and still trip.

Chocolate melts at much lower temperatures than water so it shouldn't hurt it to melt em no. Why would you melt though? You want to split a dose? Seems easier to just break off a piece or weigh a dose, crumble it then weigh a partial dose... it shouldn't be that uneven. I mean: shroom chocolates should be made with shroom dust probably, and not with chunks.

In any case: the answer to the question in the OP is that in part it may depend on exposure to oxygen acids and bases when heated, but generally these alkaloids are not considered to be the most stable and while even boiling temperatures don't destroy the alkaloids in a few minutes before cooling down again, you will want to limit the temperatures and/or time heating as much as possible.

Then again: scarce data apparently suggests that even steeping doesn't totally inactivate a dose if kept under an hour so you should be fine. Just don't make oven dishes ;)

Last edited: