• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cooking in the kitchen while tripping.....anyone else like to do this?

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
I find cooking while tripping quite easy as long as I'm following a specific set of instructions in a linear fashion. However I've found that trying to get 'creative' such as I did tonight creates an ungodly mess.

~2 hours after dropping 200 ug 1P-LSD and watching the latest episode of X-Files I decided to have something to eat and probably should just have ordered something or cooked a frozen pizza; but I really needed something to take my mind away from the X-files and started trying to make chicken parmesan, figuring if I lost myself in cooking I could forget about that nasty episode and all that happened was 2 cans of tomato sauce opened by magic and poured themselves on the counter. It looked like someone had tried to wipe up the mess and just kinda spread it around. I managed to cut up 3 chicken breasts into little pieces and sorta stir fried them with some vindaloo sauce and a couple of onions, but then got really grossed out about cutting flesh with scissors and just fed the whole thing to my dogs.

6 hours after dropping and I am now past the point of starving and the kitchen is a complete fucking mess. I'm still freaked out about the X-files and have pretty much abandoned the thought of trying to cook this Friday evening. I'm not terribly sure if I fed my dogs raw chicken or not?. At this point, it's probably good for me to keep away from the oven, count my losses and order a pizza and try not thinking about hospitals.

Tom

I once got killer acid munchies and fried up a bunch of chilli, tofu and coriander as i didn't have any snack foods on hand.
It was a fairly imrovised meal from what i had on hand.
The whole thing was very confusing - once the task was complete, i wasn't quite sure what to do with this stuff (it looked and smelled good, but my instincts were all scrambled!)

Eventually ate it, managed not to cut or seriously burn myself - then enjoyed the rest of the trip.
But it was a fucking chore - and obviously not safe. I did get a few spatters of hot oil on my arm from frying the tofu, which did my head in a bit...

Since then my trip plans always involve having food onhand. Psychedelic munchies are intense, when they happen - and drops in bloodsugar (etc) need to be managed.
Ordering pizza is a good idea!

Cutting up raw meat sounds like a psychedelic nightmare to me, but i've been vego for over 15 years, so make of that what you will.

Eating simple, flavoursome natural (ie not too processed or artificial) food whilst tripping is a real joy to me.

I would strongly recommend whatever seasonal fruit you can get your hands on. I particularly enjoy stone fruit (like nectarines and peaches) and pears. Oranges and bananas - whatever you can get your hands on really. I'm lucky to live in a region where a lot of fruit is grown, so finding something fresh and juicy is usually possible year-round.

The texture and flavour is so intensified by your heightened senses that it can be a totally euphoric experience :)

I can't think of much worse than the new x-files to watch while tripping. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it (the first episode), but I wouldn't fancy subjecting my mind to it in that kind of state!

Yeah the only thing i can really eat on acid is fruit or candy if i feel like chewing. I have been tripping and had access to food attempted to make some kind of food and then just not ate it because it looked weird, like meat, or it was hard to chew. On the comedown i can eat almost anything but if i am starving and tripping or just have the capacity to make eating work fruit is awesome. Its like a sweet self juicing awesome thing to eat and you can get away with barely chewing things like strawberries... the same doesnt apply to a sandwich.

I ended up eating a couple of apples, some rice with hot sauce and a few handfuls of jelly beans. Putting something in my stomach was important, or so I thought last night - but geez chewing was an awful chore.

spacejunk; I do like fruit and lots of it; my stupid for not thinking about food in advance of tripping :) I was vegan for several years, but slowly lapsed back into being an omnivore. I still get regularly grossed out by working with raw flesh and will routinely go on cheese/bread/fruit/veggie jags of about a week or so. Cooked meat is okay, but cooking it is what I find troublesome. Example; I love eggs, but am troubled by the idea of cooking embryos (that might sound stupid). I do get a lot of fruit from the Okanagan Valley.

And there was a bloody right mess to clean up. One of my dogs ended up being sick in the living room carpet and I ended up doing laundry before grabbing a few hours of sleep. The kitchen needed a good cleaning and I find it hard to believe that I actually was unable to manage cooking anything during the ~10 hours.

Coffee does taste mighty good this morning.

Tom

Oh hells yeah, I usually trip during the daytime and have cooked plenty of meals while at the end of the plateau or during the comedown. I have to, I live and trip alone, so if I don't cook or have something leftover in the fridge, and I'm out of granola or cereal, I ain't eatin' that night.... Cooking while tripping is also good mental exercise, it's like strength-training for your short-term memory and your ability to focus and stay on task.

Pasta is always easy to do, and you can do it in all in a single pot so you won't have much to clean up afterwards:

* First boil the water, wait for it to start boiling, you'll see little bubbles form on the bottom of the pot and then one-by-one they'll decide to float up to the top and pop. Don't worry about that adage "a watched pot never boils", thanks to your altered 5-ht2 receptors this process can be TOTALLY FASCINATING and amusing to watch. More and more bubbles will form, coalitions of them will form and then break apart to join new coalitions, and soon enough the entire surface of the water will be roiling and making lots of waves (also fascinating to watch). Now add about 1-2 tablespoons of salt, and marvel at the beauty of the chaotic fractal forms that appear as the salt dissolves. And you haven't even added the pasta yet! How exciting!

* Now add the pasta in it and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until you try a piece and it's a little chewy but not too hard. This usually takes about 8-12 minutes depending on the shape of the pasta you're using. The box will probably have a suggested "al-dente" cooking time, but these aren't always right, so it's best if you check yourself. Don't wander away at this point and get distracted by staring at your drywall or trying to convince your cat/dog/ferret/whatever that it's really an incarnation of Krishna or something, you need to stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on the pasta so it doesn't overcook it into mush. You're allowed to stare at the wood patterns on your cabinets, but don't get too caught up solving the mysteries of life and existence right now, always keep in the back of your mind that there is a pot full of boiling water and pasta on the stove on a hot burner cooking RIGHT NOW!!! The mysteries of life and existence will still be here after you're done cooking. Also don't try anything stupid, like dunking your hand in the boiling water just to have the experience of what it feels like or because you think you've been God all along and this is all just an illusion you're dreaming, and so nothing can really harm You. Maybe that's true, but that doesn't mean you're not still inhabiting a human body too, and getting third-degree burns won't be anywhere near as fun as you're imagining it to be. Keep your head straight and keep focused on your task, you silly druggie!

* Next get a measuring cup and save part of the water the pasta cooked in, then drain the pasta in a colander (DO NOT RINSE, it washes off the glutens which help thicken the sauce) and leave it in the sink.

* Put the pot back on the stove and turn the heat up to medium. Now you have a couple options, either you've got some jars of sauce in the cupboard, or you have some butter and garlic (I get little jars of prechopped garlic at the store, maybe that's just an American thing because those of you in the rest of the world know lazy we all are.....no wait it's not laziness, it's efficiency! ;) ) Third option is to have been cooking a sauce from scratch in a separate pot while the pasta was boiling, but this is only for advanced trippers who still retain enough short-term memory to keep track of TWO things cooking at the same time and can manage washing an entire other pot after the first one without getting yourself stuck in a time-loop.

* If you're using jar sauce, just pour some into the pot, then immediately add the pasta and a splash of the saved pasta water, and stir until the noodles are covered in the sauce. If it's too thick, thin it out some with a little more of the saved pasta water and stir. If it's too thin, just let it boil off some while stirring occasionally, though the pasta might end up getting a little mushier than you wanted, so it's better to err on the thick side. Let the pasta cook in the sauce for about 30-60 seconds, until it gets a velvety sheen from the glutens in the pasta water and the noodles (which you DID NOT rinse, right? Again, this is probably an American thing, if you're in a Mediterranean nation and have been cooking pasta since you could stand upright then please stop rolling yer eyes at us from over there and making rude/dramatic gestures while muttering things about our collective idiocy using words you'd never say in front of your grandmother, kthx)

* If you just want butter and garlic, then chop up a clove of garlic (not necessary if you're a lazy, I mean efficient, American like me and you already bought a jar of pre-chopped garlic), then add 2-4 tablespoons of butter, cutting them up in 1-tbsp pieces, and as it's melting add the garlic and let it sizzle for about 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Make sure not to burn the garlic, it will turn brown and gain a bitter taste, and it'll probably taste to you like Satan's ass because you're still tripping and all of your senses are heightened. Once the garlic's cooked, if you happen to have some spinach, you can add a handful of it along with some black or red pepper, and stir until it wilts, this will be another 30 seconds. Then dump the pasta into the pot and stir in a splash of the cooking water, and let this cook another 30-60 seconds, stirring occasionally. If you didn't use spinach before and haven't added any pepper yet, then do so now while the cooking water is boiling off. (If you're still tripping pretty heavily and 30 seconds seems like an infinity of lifetimes and universes to you, then a kitchen timer will come in quite handy - you've already proven your ability to turn knobs by turning the stovetop on, so you should have no problem operating it! Just be sure you can read the numbers well enough and they're not too melty)

* Now the pasta is cooked to the right texture and has absorbed some of the sauce. Turn off the stove and use a pasta fork to spoon the contents of the pot onto a plate. Don't just dump the pot over the plate, you'll likely miss and your cat/dog/ferret/whatever will come in and eat half your dinner from off the floor. (Ever notice how on every cooking show on TV the professional chef will always spoon food out of the pot one at a time onto the serving plate, instead of just inverting the pot over the plate and hoping for the best? This is why)

* Add as little or as much Parmesan cheese as you want, and sprinkle some parsely on top. You're done! And it looks just like what'd you'd get in that fancy-schmancy restaurant downtown that charges you 15 bucks a plate and is full of snobby foodie yuppies who want to order something that doesn't even exist on the menu, and detached smartphone-staring unshaven hipsters, and various other specimens of humanity that make your carotid arteries throb uncomfortably, doesn't it? The only real difference is, you can now eat your meal in peace at your own home, curled up on the couch in your pajamas, without having to be in the presence of all those special-snowflake yuppies making obscure demands to their waiter at a calculatedly high volume so everyone in the place knows how knowledgable they are about what's in season and can be sourced locally, and social media-obsessed unshaven hipsters who keep taking photos of their plate and each other to post to Instagram and then spend five minutes finding the perfect filter for their photo without taking another bite, letting their overpriced food go cold, and various other specimens of humanity that put you at risk for high blood pressure (whether this is an advantage to you or not is a matter of opinion of course). And you can take pride in having accomplished a moderately complex task all by yourself while under adverse mental conditions, without making a huge mess in the process or otherwise breaking reality and the space-time continuum! Yaaay for you!

Anyways, that was pretty detailed, but it's a lot easier than it looks. Just do a few trial run-throughs while sober so you have the process down and in your muscle memory before you try this while tripping and you end up forgetting what you're doing and start pontificating in your mind about how the soul-harvester aliens are controlling our society through the addition of high-fructose corn syrup in all of our prepared foods (oh wait, this is another Americanism, never mind about that the rest of you, and be glad you never had a President Richard Fucking Nixon massively subsidize the industrial production of corn throughout the agricultural areas of your country 45 years ago. Oh wait, you're not an American, so you probably call it "maize", not "corn", huh? Well whatever you call it, be glad the stuff's not being added to every last thing in your nation's food supply, it's really not meant to be refined into a sickeningly sticky mass of sugary goo and unknowingly ingested by humans in large quantities three meals a day. See, that's how the aliens are maintaining their secret control over us, they know the average American is too lazy, I mean efficient, to be bothered to read the ingredient list on everything they buy).

The main rule of thumb is, you can entertain yourself with your wacky thought-loops and imaginings while things are cooking, just don't get carried away with them, and stay on task and remember where you are in the process. This works best if you've already peaked and are on the plateau or coming down. Otherwise you might end up with a brilliant solution to the world's renewable energy crisis and a pot full of burned, stuck on pasta that won't even come off with a sander, and the one is not going to help you with the other, unfortunately. The other rule of thumb is, be careful not to overuse salt or spices as your cooking, because your tripping and your tastebuds are extra-sensitive right now and it can come out completely unplatable, in which case give it to your cat/dog/ferret/whatever, I'm sure they'd be overjoyed and will love you forever, or at least until next mealtime.

Good luck, and enjoy! :D <3

(tl;dr - it is possible to cook an entire pot of pasta all by yourself while tripping yer face off without killing yourself or destroying your kitchen or frightening your cat/dog/ferret/whatever too badly)

Last edited:
I like to cook breakfast food; it's simple, easy, and cooks up in minutes (eggs, bread things, fruit, etc.). You can't mess up scrambled eggs unless you just straight up walk off and leave them. :)

I made grilled cheese one time while tripping, far too much surface area to enjoy :p The whole thing was bubbling and moving.

You can't mess up scrambled eggs unless you just straight up walk off and leave them. :)

Gordon Ramsay would beg to differ with you:

(Though he also managed to burn the toast in that video 8) )

I'm sure Anthony Bourdain has cooked all kinds of things while drunk and on pot, LSD, cocaine, heroin, etc., but then he's a professional chef.

And yeah, despite how it may seem from my *very* long-winded post yesterday (I blame the 4-FA I was on at the time :! ), it's really not THAT hard to boil a pot of water and cook some spaghetti in it. But it's even easier to heat up a can of soup on the stove, you just have to not walk off and forget about it and let it start boiling. Add some crusty bread and there's a full meal.

Last edited:
^Jesus, he makes it so complicated. I just throw on a chunk of butter, crack and put in all the eggs, stir vigorously every minute or so, salt/pepper/cheese to taste, and voila. Takes like 5 minutes. Add some wheat/whole grain toast and a banana and you've got one healthy trip meal.

^ Well, like I said, he burnt his own fucking toast, fer chrissakes. Can you take anything seriously the guy says after he does that?

(And congrats on getting promoted to mod!)

It goes without saying, that you should be careful with fire. Ie. Oven or stovetop. Especially f you're doing anything that involves oil or grease. You really don't want to get distracted and start a great fire while tripping balls.

Also, depending on the drug, my appetite is often just not there at all, but sometimes the smells can still be heavenly. And you'll look at all the food you're preparing in a totally different, alien way.

All in all I wouldn't call it a bad idea--perfectly doable, and no reason to avoid it if you're hungry or looking for a new experience--but I wouldn't say it's really the best task to pick either: the concentration it demands may be stressful for you/it can turn into an "ordeal" where everything takes way longer than it should, you're constantly trying to remember what you were planning to do next, and generally making a mess of things in the process. The kind of thing you laugh about later, and hopefully (but depending on te character of your trip/whether you're with friends) enjoy in the moment as well, but which doesn't lend itself to much to appreciating the unique properties of the psychedelic experience--not much opportunity for introspection and, while you're obviously exposed to the visual stimuli you're working on creating, there's still generally less to look at as well.

I don't know. It seems like something that might be better on a microdose or threshold dose--just to make things seem a bit alien and maybe inspire some culinary creativity, but without going so far out that the task seems rote and/or pointless.

Hell yeah! I love cooking in general, and certainly also while tripping! One time stands out to me, I had taken DOC earlier in the day, and I was at my friends' house, and we had each taken 50mg of MXE (in 2 doses). I was quite dissociated, but DOC keeps me grounded on MXE. I was cooking dinner, a complex curry-based stir-fry (with homemade curry sauce). My friend was sitting in the kitchen with me, holing hard, and I was on autopilot, watching myself smoothly accomplishing various cooking tasks. I was amazed I was able to do it, and it turned out perfectly too. :)

Speaking of which, time to cook breakfast... not on psychedelics today though!

Sometimes the urge to eat is gone like on stimulants.

But if you're real hungry cooking and eating are incredibly interesting.

Usually best to plan ahead and stock up though.

Yeah some psychedelics remove my desire for food, not most of them though. On LSD I fucking love to eat.

I finally found some food that I cna cook without the worry of burning my house down while tripping.

1) Shortbread. Yeah, that's right. I have the dough premade and all I have to do is put it into pie plates and cook.

2) Sliders (mini hamburgers). Pre spiced, pre made meatballs that I squish into a disc and place into modified muffin tins and just bake in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes and then a loud alarm reminds me to to remove the burgers and place into dinner rolls.

Alll the prepping, chopping and dangerous stuff (for me) is done when I'm sober, and no working with raw meat when I'm tripping. Ground beef doesn't count because it doesn't look like anything. Bonus is we're only looking at 30 minutes cooking time (40 max).....and that's about in my skill range.

Tom

no working with raw meat when I'm tripping.
This has never been a problem for me, because i don't eat meat - but i do have a food-related tripping rule: no spaghetti.

The first time i ever had acid- in fact, the first time I ever tripped - i had to have a sit-down dinner with my very anti-drug parents, while peaking.

Nightmarish? Uh, yeah. Very.

But the worst bit? The plate full of spaghetti in front of me kept subtly - but unmistakably - moving, slithering around on the plate.

Fortunately, even at my young age (16) i had a fairly robust mental capacity for mindblowing experiences - so the awkward and confusing meal aside - i had a great trip.

But i've never eaten spaghetti on LSD since. Maybe someday i'll be up for trying it again =D

It's been quite a while, but in years past I took LSD many, many times and was never able to even consider eating during the entire extent of the trip from come-up to peak to come-down (even if I was objectively hungry beforehand - appetite would just simply go away and the thought of food would disgust me). It wasn't just the food itself - part of it was the idea of the food having originated from things that were once alive and now are dead, the textures, smells, etc all getting mixed up synaesthetically, the difficulty of organizing cooking or communicating with wait-staff, etc.

I remember once me and a few friends had dosed some particularly strong windowpane acid (gels, and only a single hit each) and walked into a fast food place like 20 minutes later. We were expecting to be able to eat well before it kicked in. The 'cid was so strong that it kicked in as we were placing our orders and I was the first to go, and as the order menu started moving around and melting and I couldn't get the words out about what I wanted to order, I looked at my comrades, they looked at me, and we all booked it right out the door without a single word to each other! Good times.

^I was on LSD once at mcdonalds and we were sitting in the corner seat by the window and it was covered in like sticker advertisements of a jungle scene and the trees and birds and grass and shit were coming out of the window into 3d space and floating around like I was sitting in a safari. Lol.

I know what you mean. I had a hard time ordering too. The lady looked at me like I was crazy. But we totally blended in and she didn't think much of it.