View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Continued Spasms 24 hours after an ayahusca ceremony

criswarrior

Greenlighter
my partner attended an ayahusca ceremony - she is emotionally feeling very at peace and happy, but she has been havings spasms for the last 24 hours (since the ceremony) at home.
The spasms occur every time she talks or feels something (uncontrolled movement of the arms and chest) touching her head, her heart, her belly, or outward moving of the hands.
She struggles holding a glass of water to drink it.
They are less intense now - 24 horus into it, that last night during the ceromony.
The ayahusca guide mentioned its a rare occurance - but can happen to 1 in a 1000 participants- but should turn back to normal within 72 horus.
I understand that mamals can heal trauma though spasms, and also there are theories around kunalini awaking.
She is at home now.
How long would you give it till you see a medical practitioner or neurologist? Any recommendations in the meantime?
Thanks so much

my partner attended an ayahusca ceremony - she is emotionally feeling very at peace and happy, but she has been havings spasms for the last 24 hours (since the ceremony) at home.
The spasms occur every time she talks or feels something (uncontrolled movement of the arms and chest) touching her head, her heart, her belly, or outward moving of the hands.
She struggles holding a glass of water to drink it.
They are less intense now - 24 horus into it, that last night during the ceromony.
The ayahusca guide mentioned its a rare occurance - but can happen to 1 in a 1000 participants- but should turn back to normal within 72 horus.
I understand that mamals can heal trauma though spasms, and also there are theories around kunalini awaking.
She is at home now.
How long would you give it till you see a medical practitioner or neurologist? Any recommendations in the meantime?
Thanks so much
That's a very dramatic after effect from a single dose of a physically innocuous substance. Are there uncontrolled movements of the head, neck, tongue, lips? Involuntary grimacing or pulling faces?

Is she on any medications? If so for how long?

I would stay away from Western doctors for now. Because there's nothing they can do besides make it worse.
And by your description you're open-minded enough to hold off judgment about whether it is bad thing to begin with.

Was the ceremony under the auspices of one of the Ayahuasca churches? You don't have to say which one just curious if it was in the context of a larger spiritual or religious context.

Last edited:
72 h seems reasonable. Don't fight the spasms - go with them. But do consider a medical exam if spasms don't seem to slowly recede. Similar reactions can, as you know, happen in trauma therapy and other intense therapies working with breath and body. So it can be the body healing itself getting rid of old, frozen, energies. But hard to really know without knowing and seeing the person as well as having a full medical history. If in doubt, it is probably wise to get a medical check up.

Are all ayahusca just dmt containing plants or do some have 5-meo-dmt?

I ask because in my understanding some are brewed differently and that 5-meo-dmt is more known for spasms or at least i think i have read more second hand reports on 5-meo-dmt having that effect.

Thansk so much -
So some answers to the above:
- She is in her early 30s, no previous medication or relevant medical history
- It was a pure ayahusca ceremony (not 5-meo added) done under a "guide"
- Been eating clean for a week prior
- No prior relevant psycological issues (just in general very sensitive to anything - alchool or similar, react quickly to low doses)
- Spasms seem to be receding very slowly - its now been just over 36 hours - but still there in a major way
- Oddly Spasms didnt happen when she sleeps, only during the day, and mostly when talking/listenting (seems like they increase when using more charged emotional words)
- Spasms affect mostly arms and chest (not tongue, neck etc..)
- might consider suggesting some vitmain d, magnesium, etc.. maybe massage, cold/hot water therapy, walks in nature, etc..)

Thansk so much -
So some answers to the above:
- She is in her early 30s, no previous medication or relevant medical history
- It was a pure ayahusca ceremony (not 5-meo added) done under a "guide"
- Been eating clean for a week prior
- No prior relevant psycological issues (just in general very sensitive to anything - alchool or similar, react quickly to low doses)
- Spasms seem to be receding very slowly - its now been just over 36 hours - but still there in a major way
- Oddly Spasms didnt happen when she sleeps, only during the day, and mostly when talking/listenting (seems like they increase when using more charged emotional words)
- Spasms affect mostly arms and chest (not tongue, neck etc..)
- might consider suggesting some vitmain d, magnesium, etc.. maybe massage, cold/hot water therapy, walks in nature, etc..)
This is psychological and spiritual and no allopathic doctor pushing the latest from Big Pharma could possibly comprehend it

Is she on medications? Or not taking prescribed medications? Not eating right or has low blood sugar? Were any plants or herbs mixed into the Ayahuasca such as Datura? Have her see a doctor or medical professional, and be honest about everything she will not get into legal trouble.

I assume she has made a full recovery at least i imagine he may have been back to let us know if things got worse/no better.

I really dnt feel comfortable going to these places. When taking a physchdelic i like to know exactly what im consuming and how much.

Can imagine it not being a great experience for most people

Is she on medications? Or not taking prescribed medications? Not eating right or has low blood sugar? Were any plants or herbs mixed into the Ayahuasca such as Datura? Have her see a doctor or medical professional, and be honest about everything she will not get into legal trouble.
Isn't premature for her to visit a croaker?

I assume she has made a full recovery at least i imagine he may have been back to let us know if things got worse/no better.

I really dnt feel comfortable going to these places. When taking a physchdelic i like to know exactly what im consuming and how much.

Can imagine it not being a great experience for most people
Agree. Tripping is not a team sport unless you do it with loved ones and fellow tribal members in upper Amazonia

No, it could be a medical condition or issue not related to the Ayahuasca or any other drugs she takes or has taken.
an abundance of caution is never a bad thing. Choose your croaker wisely + always get a 2nd opinion before any procedure more invasive than hangnail removal

an abundance of caution is never a bad thing. Choose your croaker wisely + always get a 2nd opinion before any procedure more invasive than hangnail removal
Yes she could have MS or Parkinson's. I know people who have taken Ayahuasca and DMT many times, they did not have spasms like this.

With immediate onset? The only other rational explanation would be some kind of physical poisoning. There are also irrational explanations, why I asked about context. It's highly unlikely that she was targeted for spiritual attack by any of the participants, esp any of them would possess that sort of knowledge of the dark arts to effectively use it. Perhaps Wizard cares to weigh in