• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Considering diphenhydramine trip. Thoughts?

ChipTrippyFox

Bluelighter
I've read mixed results of using dph recreationaly

I'm curious about it. I use it to potentiate my codiene, but I've never gone over 10mg.

Thoughts?

It's not worth using recreationally at all.

I come across that statement somewhat frequently and just when I start loosing interest, I come across those who describe what appears to me to be a pleasant experience.

Have you tried it before?

Honestly, I don't think someone could find a DPH intoxication "pleasant"..

Tried it 3 times with different dosage and everytime there wasn't even a hint of positive feelings. It's like you have a strong flu, where your body feels very heavy and weak (in a very uncomfortable way). Extreme drymouth which cannot be relieved by drinking. Short-term memory out of the window.

The only "interesting" effects were the delusions and hallucinations, but neither of them could be enjoyed due to the horrible bodyload.

Some accounts with reported positive sides to the experience shouldn't make you forget about the bad ones, be careful with wishful thinking.

Why do you want this to be a good idea? Is it one of the few only things available to you, or is it a morbid fascination with delirium?

I've done it once, and I wouldn't do it again. That being said, I'm glad I tried it, even though it was far from a pleasant experience.

The way I perceive deliriants; and the only way I can rationalise why people would willingly take them is if I liken it to an expedition - Like trekking to the arctic, or crossing the sahara. It's a gruelling unpleasant experience, but at the end there is the satisfaction of having endured through to complete a feat that so few will ever know.

If I could sum my diphenhydramine experience up in a few words, it would be - Having your body weighted down with concrete, frightened of the impending swarms of spiders. Plus the next day is not pleasant.

I would not go into the experience lightly, nor would I recommend it.

Some accounts with reported positive sides to the experience shouldn't make you forget about the bad ones, be careful with wishful thinking.

Why do you want this to be a good idea? Is it one of the few only things available to you, or is it a morbid fascination with delirium?

A little bit of both. Mostly the first one though. The only things I have at my disposal is alchohol, dxm, codiene and dph. Possibly ephedrin if I can find some???

If you can't tell already, these are all legal otc substances.

I've also been fascinated by any and all psychedelic experiences. I'm one of the few people who enjoy salvia. Not because it's particularly pleasant, but I love the psychedelia.

I would not consider dph to be psychedelic, however it is incredibly hallucinogenic. Ive taken it on several occasions with dosages ranging from light to extremely heavy. Every single time was out of desperation and every singe time I proclaimed that I would never do it again.

The one thing that sounded cool to me based on trip reports and other postings was that dph is said to have some of the most vivid OEVs around. I have to say that this is true, HOWEVER, these are not fun hallucinations. Typically they're of insects and creepy crawlies and scary stuff that you dont want to imagine crawling all over you.

Another hallucination that happened to me in spades is that I had conversations with people that arent there. I kept imaging that my mom was caling me from the other room, or that I was on the phone. It seems like you have a conversation for 10 kinutes with someone then look and it turns out theyre not there and what ypu were talking about the whole time made no sense. The entire ordeal is extremely aggrevating, especially because you feel "sober" the entire time. It feels like your mind is clear when iy is infact the complete opposite.

I think I saw someone mention earlier that DPH is like having a horrible flu. This is, IMO, a 100% spot-on comparison. The entire trip and for days after you will be in hell, seeing weird black dots and feeling your heart beat arythmically.

if its all you have around, stick to DXM and the other goodies until you have access to more conventional psychedelics. Dont let the cool hallucination aspect of it lure you in.

My $0.02

omg be careful using this chemical. SWIM used to take 10-20 of these and once wound up in jail because a cop found him wandering down the road in the middle of nowhere. He went out to use the bathroom at his friend's house and never came back. The key to it however is to STAY AWAKE. Itll knock you out but you have to stay awake and once that goes away you WILL need a trip sitter to watch you. SWIM had his friend sitting directly infront of him and he actually asked him "Wheres Ryan", he responded, "Im right here".. SWIM didnt even recognize him and forgot who he was. Bennys are fun but are very very dangerous if you dont have a sober friend to watch you. IMO itll make you look like a crazy person to anyone who doesnt understand what you're doing. Its a step above Dramamine (the worst drug SWIM's taken alot of) but its still down there in the gutter. Get drunk instead.

The thing that strongly turns me away from trying is that there seems to be a really steep dosage/strength

Like.. I can't just have a small experience, it's all or nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though.

Kinda, you can work your way up, at a certain level you just feel unpleaseant and very groggy seing stuff outta the corner of your eyes and wiggly shadows, but not smoking phantom cigs while talking to hallucinations. I use DPH as a sleep aid and for me that dose is about 150mg, so I take 125.
If you're looking for a good time though you have DXM and codine, either or both would be much nicer. You have the internet, you could teach yourself how to grow shrooms, or maybe find something else that doesn't feel quite so shitty....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna forget about dph :p

For the time being I'll stick to dxm for any trippy experiences.

I'd already be growing shrooms if my current partner wasn't such a stick when it comes to drugs..

No. Fuck no.

It's not a nice high, and you can just get stuff online if you're desperate...

Not really desperate so much as curious, cyberius ^^; besides I decided I think I'm just gonna forget about it.

Just chiming in to say that I think it's a good idea to forget about it all together. I have experimented with many drugs and I can say that DPH is the only drug I ever really, truly regret taking. I had nothing else at my disposal, the delirium sounded interesting, and I'm a big enough fan of psychedelics and dissociatives and altered mind states in general that I thought I was ready for whatever DPH had to throw at me. I was dead fucking wrong. DPH is horrible. It's like having Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, being trapped in a nightmare all at once, with the worst body load I have ever felt on ANY drug. Mouth dry as fuck, unable to drink water, the constant need to piss combined with the inability to piss, it made my legs start convulsing, tremors, confusion, severe memory loss, insanity, chaos, SPIDERS AND MAGGOTS EVERYWHERE, totally convincing hallucinations of having conversations with dead relatives and friends, and feeling of impending death and doom and gloom. Absolutely horrifying. Does any of that sound fun to you? If so, experiment away (keeping in mind that this shit is TERRIBLE for your health.) Nobody who I've talked to who has taken DPH has ever enjoyed it. If you have good sense, you'll just not touch it, and stick to the more fun OTC shit like DXM (which a lot of people do enjoy, myself included)

I echo the sentiment that delirium hallucinations are the worst kind of hallucinations. Not desirable or therapeutic at all compared to the alternatives.

I come across that statement somewhat frequently and just when I start loosing interest, I come across those who describe what appears to me to be a pleasant experience.

Have you tried it before?
Haha exactly my thought. While I haven't done it myself, I figure it's probably highly interesting, but a very risky undertaking considering the hallucinations you experience.

I will never understand why most people (especially here on bluelight) seem to think the only reason to take drugs is to feel awesome. It doesn't have to be pleasant to be worth it in my opinion. I would prefer having an intense nightmare that has me wake up covered in sweat over not dreaming at all. This discussion has taken place a hundred times and never has there been any understanding. There's always the knuckleheaded anti-delirium front who will not simply disadvise doing it, but who will also eventually call people who do it names.

If you have read up on this and have plenty of experience with other mind altering substances like psychedelics or dissociatives, I would say go for it. Be aware of the health risks, have a trip sitter present (!!!!) and enjoy the show (or endure it). Most importantly let us know how it went. It will most definitely not be the hedonistic/masturbatory type of drug experiences.

EDIT: I have experienced delirium hallucinations before, but only briefly and I had amnesia for most of the experience, so I can't comment on that. But getting scared over a million spiders storming my room sounds like something I would love to have been through. Just like I am glad for the hallucinations I had during all my psychotic breaks (the worst: being eaten by a fungus and seeing my body macerate away, before and while telling my family and friends goodbye). Some people won't even go near anything that scares or disgusts them, I seem oddly attracted to some (!) of it.

It's like having Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, being trapped in a nightmare all at once [...] confusion, severe memory loss, insanity, chaos, SPIDERS AND MAGGOTS EVERYWHERE, totally convincing hallucinations of having conversations with dead relatives and friends, and feeling of impending death and doom and gloom. Absolutely horrifying
I can't say this doesn't sound tempting. Simply for the novelty aspect of it, being able to remind myself of it, getting to know another state of consciousness, being able to feel empathy towards those who have to endure it involuntarily, there are plenty of reasons. Definitely not to have a good time though. And it's not like you won't get through it either.
with the worst body load I have ever felt on ANY drug. Mouth dry as fuck, unable to drink water, the constant need to piss combined with the inability to piss, it made my legs start convulsing, tremors
Is it possible you had a bit too much? I have definitely read reports of people who have taken some pleasure in it and who have not described the sides as severe as you do.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=32271
I proceeded in carefully crawling around the floor and capturing every single scorpion I could find in my basement so that I could be safe and able to go sleep at ease. In total I put down maybe 50-75 glasses around my entire basement.
Excellent report, sounds a lot like a major nightmare actually, but this guy isn't whining about it.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=76921
This guy actually "thoroughly enjoyed" the entire experience, probably because he also "likes dreaming so much".

I'm pretty sure that this can go well depending on lots of factor, but you should never decide to do it because you want it to go well. From all I've heard in the past the experience has a high chance to resemble a nightmare. There's potential for serious consequences on the social level, so a trip sitter is mandatory.

Regarding the claims that this never can be introspective and that the hallucinations are purely random (which many people ironically also say about their dreams, D'OH):

Brother’s wife: “I want him [me] out of this house!” Brother: “I know, me too, but he has nowhere else to go…” and they continued on in this way. Now, I was well aware that this was merely an auditory hallucination, but it still made me more susceptible to believe that they didn’t want me there. It seemed that the auditory hallucinations would play off anything that I was feeling insecure about.

Last edited:
A little bit of both. Mostly the first one though. The only things I have at my disposal is alchohol, dxm, codiene and dph. Possibly ephedrin if I can find some???

If you can't tell already, these are all legal otc substances.

I've also been fascinated by any and all psychedelic experiences. I'm one of the few people who enjoy salvia. Not because it's particularly pleasant, but I love the psychedelia.

Buy some RC's if you don't have access to illicit subs...They're legal...technically.

I didn't read that post you just quoted and wasn't aware he is doing it because there are no other drugs available. That most definitely sounds like a bad or insufficient motive to seek out a delirium type experience. If you go down that road, as I have stated multiple times, you should be aware that there is a good chance it will be very unpleasant. If you are prepared for that and willing to find out what a delirium can be like, I would consider it a viable option to intoxicate yourself with a deliriant like diphenhydramine. If you would prefer a more hedonistic approach to your experience, definitely avoid it like the plague. While there is a chance you will be among the few that do enjoy that state quite a bit, there's a much higher chance it will be hell on earth.

Buy some RC's if you don't have access to illicit subs...They're legal...technically.
Depends on where you are. In Germany anything that is meant for intoxicating yourself is illegal, whether it's scheduled or not. So technically they're all illegal, but technically they cannot really prove your intentions. Hence, bath salts etc.
But they are still as legal as it gets and ridiculously easy to acquire, so I would back you up 100% on that recommendation.

I'm even more curious about rc subs. Namely things like 2cb, 25i, and 4 aceo dmt (and many other variants I'm sure I'm forgetting or haven't even heared of)

i guess I'm just skeptical about finding a legit source all on my own and discretion of delivery.