• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Conservatives question methadone maintenance (UK)

I'm not a heroin addict, but I think there should be more rehab.
Funds should be made available for therapy for these individuals. Therapy to get to the root of why these people feel the need to escape life. This theray maybe tough, but if it gets to the root of the addictive behaviour then it will be better in the long run, so long as it culminates in people ridding themselves of the need to use again.

Then, there is the crack problem to deal with

Crack does not produce the same kind of long term or even life threatening WD syndrome. You just need help going through the detox period then psychological support for the cravings....its more like a tobacco addiction and less like a heroin addiction. Amphetamine addictions can be treated with something like Modafinil.

I guess Methadone is the only thing that works for some people, but I would use caution. Its way more addictive than heroin and much much harder to get off of. If you dont mind a permanent monkey on your back, and are ok with getting a less enjoyable opiate substitute by prescription for the rest of your life, it can help even you out so you can function.

I would not recommend it for someone who just wants to detox and kick the habit though. Methadone is just replacing one habit for another, one that is by prescription and easier to manage.

My experience with Methadone showed me that it was only beneficial in the sense that the dealer was always there and never dry...

Although you may have not explicitly stated that kratom is better than methadone treatment, the weight of the full body of your arguments is conducive to that conclusion, and that is thus what you are inherently standing by.

Also, you clearly don't know what a straw man argument is and I suggest that you look it up. Actually, at this point, my eyes are darting to your second paragraph and I think that you know very well what I'm about to say and I'm going to cease repeating myself and wasting space on this board.

This thread is about the position that methadone maintenance plays in improving social conditions. If you have something to add to that, feel free. I don't so I'm going to stop putting up the same arguments to your unfounded ideas. If you really want to keep it up, PM me and we can do this all day, but, once again, I'm not going to waste space.

WTF is wrong with you? You HAVE to be right, don't you?

Guy , the idea that you even suggested kratom treatment as some kind of maintenance is really extremely silly to begin with. you started it by suggestin a incredibly ridiculous thing, of course people is gonna write back to you and then when you reply they will reply back becuz you were defending the idea . and its straight up just one that should be dropped like "aight, that was kinda dumb i admit so lets forget i said it" instead of gettin involved postin back and forth with the folks who disagree tryin to explain how your post is right or w/ever. All i see in that post is him saying lets stop arguing, so that dont look like somebody who 'gotta be right' to me. Just sayin.

I take methadone for my chronic pain. I would be in a wheel chair right now if I didn't take it. I do not get any"highs" off it. I just know it has reduced my pain significantly.

A

^^+1....Same boat....Im in a lil bit of a different situation since I was a heroin addict for many yrs before I got on methadone...But i found a Dr. who instead of kickin me out the door said, well, ok....you a ex addict....but you got legitimate pain....so, how bouy we give you some less abusable pain meds that are less sketchy for a dr to script to a known addict? And thats how i ended up with a methadone script that makes my life bearable. On both sides...From the addiction side and the pain side....without it...I aint sure how good I would be able to move. Without it I walk with a noticeable limp that embarasses the hell out of me becuz even when i try hard to make myself walk normal i just cant do it. the nerves in my back pinch so bad sometimes and it goes all down my leg and makes it buckle when i try to walk normal without favorin it. some days i feel like there is just a knife plunged right into my lower back , and sometimes its just that kind of sharpass stabbing pain just shootin up and down my back makin me get all twitched out...

Nobody who knows me except my BF and my family even knows the extent of it....Nobody who knows me, none of my friend,s, etc, has seen me limpin like that...becuz im always on the done...Its somethin I feel mad ashamed of even tho I know thats stupid as hell and it aint my fault I just feel weak and pussy and dont want nobody to know my weakness and the metahdone lets me feel normal and not feel like a 60 yr old when i am only 23.

Even on it, i am only on 90mg a day which is a pretty low dose, but everyday I feel pain right thru the done...And lots of days its so bad it restrict how i can move esp. later on the day as it goes on and i get more tired out. the way that I feel ON methadone my family that sees me hurting be like DAMN, you hurt that bad...So i cant even imagine anymore how i would feel if i was off it....i honestly believe that my life quality would go down so much and i wouldnt barely be able to get thru the day...its a EXCELLENT painkiller....I dont know where Id be without it....But there will always be a stigma of bein on it, its associated with "junkies" etc...but for real, i aint one to say "miracle drug" cuz shit dont work for everyone and tons of people hate on methadone somethin awful...it aint as good for everybody as it been for me, but for ME PERSONALLY it been a 'miracle drug.' people questioning it, tryna put users down, etc just got their heads up their asses...

Wouldn't long-term darvocet have toxicity issues? I'm totally with you in terms of depot injections of opiates for maintenance, though. People would probably freak at the idea of full-agonist depot injections, though, and they'd be hard to properly dose.

Someone else might have mentioned this but the UK is looking at Dihydracodeine as a replacement drug, its cheap, safe-ish an the WDs though bad, aren't in the same league as Methadone.

Cameron can go fuck himself.

The cunt has no-idea of how methadone helps people like us.

The guys a fucking muppet - so is every stupid cunt that voted for him and his fucking looney mates.

Methadone has improved my life 1000%. I don't think about using, I don't talk to users and I'm very happy.

In the last 9 months, IU've stopped using opiates (or any drugs whatsoever), I'm working 2 jobs, I've met a beatuful girl (and we are now saving to get married).

Subutex resulted in none of this.

I just hope cameron gets fucking assasinated before methadone scripting stops.

I've already saved over a litre of meth, just so if it does get banned - I can wean myself of easier than the clinic/government thinks needed.

No swift way

No swift way on methadone. I did it for a year. Loved it so much that my dose got up to 165mg. Made a huge mistake by calling the clinic, saying "I'm not going to do this anymore". Got the response, "You're under medical treatment, don't stop your dosage." Stayed in a homeless shelter for many days without. Got off of it. Very difficult. Not easy. But should be done.

I hate it when ignorant people try and tell everyone else that going cold turkey is a legitimate way for most people to get off opioids like methadone.

No swift way on methadone. I did it for a year. Loved it so much that my dose got up to 165mg. Made a huge mistake by calling the clinic, saying "I'm not going to do this anymore". Got the response, "You're under medical treatment, don't stop your dosage." Stayed in a homeless shelter for many days without. Got off of it. Very difficult. Not easy. But should be done.

It should be done?

Why?

Give me one, good, decent, justified reason why a person who is on methadone treatment for heroin addiction, who aint abusing it and is takin it as prescribed, should get off it.

Well, think about it for just a second, and realize with yall ignorant, stupid asses that addiction has TERRIBLE recovery rates, and hardly anybody ever fully recovers,...

WTF8) about 3 to 4% of problematic users are unable to address their use within a year Evidence from cocaine population though alcohol has similar stats

Those very small numbers of people who can't sort themselves out are who we see in treatment.

re the subutex/methadone debate both work differently, bup leaves you clearer headed meaning emotions surface, some people find this uncomfortable or overwhelming and prefer the fuzzy blanket of methadone.

methadone does provide a stable state where the underlying reasons for choosing to do drugs to the detriment of other aspects of your life can be addressed, although due to the effects exploring this shit will take longer than with a clear head, the higher the dose the more it will impact on your abilty to learn.

depending on how resourcfull you are learning to mange life without artifical aid can take anything from a few weeks to a lifetime, rehab and detox is simply too intense for some people and they need longer term approaches. Also after rehab social networking with non-drug users is an important skill which for someone immersed in misuse for decades may prove difficult, agression dosen't work so well in non-drug enviroments.

re the proposal it will never happen, they would be taken to court under human rights law and get their arse's kicked.

^ i dont think you understood my point . i was sayin that the recovery rates of addiction are terrible, and that the majority of people who succeed and have long term success, do it with the help of methadone or suboxone. I aint sure wher you gettin your statistics from yo, but its common knowledge that a very large % of addicts dont recover. I aint sure how your 3-4% statistic is relevant anyways, becuz define "address their addiction." That dont mean shit--to 'address" somethin means to face it, to recognize it,. it certainly dont mean to 'quit drugs', so i aint sure wat you tryna say by postin that.

I also disagree that methadone gives you a 'fuzzy' mind. I been on it for over a year now, and I am the farthest thing from fuzzy. My mind is way, way clearer than it ever was when i was on suboxone too ill tell you that much.

I understand that you aint tryna say nothing all that bad about methadone, but in a back handed way you kind of are. you basically sayin that methadone is good for people who cant handle reality and dont want to deal with shit in their lives, in a nicer way. that aint exactly true yo. Calling methadone "artificial aid" and talkin like life on methadone is some kind of drugged up excuse to avoid facing your problems is pretty offensive to methadone patients, especially since it aint even true.

I thought that IN the UK they allowed people to use heroin to come off opiates... I think this is a far far better IDea then allow ing people to get on methadone. methadone is something that ruins lifes far more then heroin does in my mind if given by Doctors.. Methadone is highly addictive compared to Heroin, at least in how bad it is to come off. Anyway good luck to anyone on methadone