Conflicting information on username change vs. new account vs. rules etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazing

Ex-Bluelighter
Full disclosure, I did e-mail an administrator about this issue basically at random from the staff list before I realized that this sub-forum exists (nifty feature!). So honestly I'm not sure if I'm being wildly impatient by posting this (instead of just waiting for a reply to the message... it's only been a day or two) or if I should have just posted here in the first place versus messaging a single admin, who I'm sure is very busy. I'm actually not even sure that I should be posting this here period, though I'm pretty confident someone will correct me if that's the case.

(TLDR at bottom)

I was a very visible and very involved member on another forum geared towards drugs; for the purposes of this post it doesn't matter which. This November would have marked my fifth year there, but as I "rose through the ranks" and became more and more involved behind-the-scenes, I saw more and more I really didn't like. I wasn't a staff member-- there were less than ten-- but like a lot of other long-time members there, I did a shit ton of work. I decided a few months ago that the stuff I didn't like outweighed the stuff I did and that I could no longer be a part of that community. It's far more complicated than that; I think I ended up being "punished" in some way although I honestly don't really know how because by that point I was already gone. The whole thing sort of ended up feeling mostly like a "you can't quit, you're fired!" situation, although I certainly wasn't perma-banned or anything. I don't really feel the need to say much more about it in public... now... though would be happy to share that whole story with anyone who wants to hear it. You know... insider information and all. (Kidding, kidding, mostly kidding. But I don't mind sharing with the curious.) It will probably go in my New Member Introduction anyway, which I have yet to do.

Anyway, I made the mistake in choosing the same username here as I did there and I should have thought a little harder about it or waited until I was actually ready to be on another site. I made this account a couple of months ago but frankly needed a break. I'm sure if I had made the account yesterday I would not have made the same decision. I would really prefer just starting fresh since I'm basically doing that anyway, same name or not. Clearly if I cared so much about being associated with the other site I wouldn't be posting this out in the relative open since I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find for those who cared to look, nor is there anything on the other forum I would be unhappy for any of you to see (generally quite the opposite). But I've resisted doing much other posting as a result of my own mistake, and while I don't mean to sound too dippy about it, the name now has some not-great associations for me.

I did read the BLUA and poked around some of the sections of the pop-down menu on the Greenlighter banner. Under "Can I change my username?" it says:

You can't. You will have to create a new username. Sorry.

Elsewhere, I thought I saw something to suggest that you can't make multiple accounts, which makes sense... but somewhat conflicting. I tried to find that to post here but couldn't.

TL;DR/wrap-up: I would love to not use Bluelight under this username, even if that means not being able to use this specific account anymore (pretty sure this is my first post anway). I don't want to do anything to break the rules and if I have to suck it up and use this account and name, I will. Am I stuck, or is there something I can do to have a different name? If I have any other option besides keeping this account, what is the protocol?

Thanks in advance. It feels weird being new again.

Last edited:
You can't change your name, you can only abandon your account and create a new one. See here for more info.

Keep in mind that once you open a second account, it will be against the rules to use both accounts, so pick one and stick with it. Once the new account is created, feel free to private message an administrator to have the old account deactivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.