• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Confirmation of UK legislation interpretation

Anon0631

Bluelighter
I just searched UK legislation for the word 'tryptamine'. Apart from a single mention of psilocybin, the only occurrence of the word is in the following paragraph:

(b)any compound (not being a compound for the time being specified in sub-paragraph (a) above) structurally derived from tryptamine or from a ring-hydroxy tryptamine by substitution at the nitrogen atom of the sidechain with one or more alkyl substituents but no other substituent;

I'm interpreting that to mean that tryptamine itself (IE unsubstituted) is not controlled by law.

Can anyone comment on this?

^ I don't think it is.. don't take my word for it though.. Although as far as i remember tryptamine itself is not active unless IV'd (might be thinking of another chemical altogether, though)

That's what it says in tihkal. I wouldn't mind trying to vaporise the freebase though. Just to see.

Tryptamine itself occurs in nature (food, animals, plants) from decarboxylation of tryptophan and is essentially nonpsychoactive so I seriously doubt it's a controlled substance.