• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Concerns about starting back on an opioid after withdrawals...

whipthehorseseyes

Greenlighter
Hello. I found your site by searching on this subject and I have been reading through some of the posts. I noticed that there are many knowledgeable members, so I thought I would ask my question here.

After you experience withdrawals from an opioid, how long does it take until you can use again? From what I have researched and read thus far, I would imagine that it could be after the physical effects are over. However, will one start to go through withdrawals again, say after 5 days?

Let me break down a scenario: Let's say I finished what would be a 30 day prescription in 30 days (120 10mg/325mg hydrocodone). If I were to go through withdrawals, and after the physical aspect was over, could I take 15mg of hydrocodone once and not go into withdrawals all over again? Should I wait longer? How long before becoming physically dependent again?

Another question I have about this is that, I know that I will not be taking the opioid again on a regular basis, meaning daily. How long would you all say be a good amount of time in between, let's say between 15-20mg doses, for a physical dependency not to occur again? 3-4 days? A week?

Honest truth: I want to use "responsibly", because frankly I want to. What I don't want is to do it daily and go through what I just went through. That is what I think I can do, use safely. I know that many would not recommend this because it could always lead you down the wrong path to habitual use, but I like to think I know my mind and my body enough not to do that again. And, hey, if not and I do, I will be the first to come on here and let you tell me I told you so and beg for your help :D.

I would like to thank the members of this community for offer this harm reduction forum for giving good advice and really helping people out, and thank for any and all responses!

Last edited:
If you've already gone through opiate withdrawal in your life, then it feels that the physical dependency or at the very least the signs of withdrawal become apparent after even 2-3 consecutive days of use.

Obviously not full blown, but enough to realise that you have to stop pronto or else it'll get worse.

When you start thinking along the lines of 'I want to be able to get high as frequently as possible without getting a habit' - you're still in the state of mind where you'll end up with a habit. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

Wanna use opiates and never get a habit? then ideally, once every few months?

if it's that much of a struggle that you can't for example do it a handful of times in a handful of years, you're kinda playing with fire.

If you've already gone through opiate withdrawal in your life, then it feels that the physical dependency or at the very least the signs of withdrawal become apparent after even 2-3 consecutive days of use.

Obviously not full blown, but enough to realise that you have to stop pronto or else it'll get worse.

When you start thinking along the lines of 'I want to be able to get high as frequently as possible without getting a habit' - you're still in the state of mind where you'll end up with a habit. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

Wanna use opiates and never get a habit? then ideally, once every few months?

if it's that much of a struggle that you can't for example do it a handful of times in a handful of years, you're kinda playing with fire.

Thank you for your reply. I do understand what you are saying. I am not going to say that it is not a habit, because it very well could be. If you are saying that 2-3 day tops it, and the general consensus says that's the "rule", then you can bet your bottom dollar that I will take it for one day and wait 4 days/a week before I take another.

Let's say, by chance, I was able to pull that off...would that be enough to not become physically dependent and go through withdrawals again? And, is it safe after 5 days to do it again?

Thank you again!

Yeah you could theoretically use once every 5 days and not get sick.

What I found with that is that I'd end up trying to use as much as possible on that one day and then I'd feel so sick the next day, having no tolerance like I'd had when I was a full blown junkie, the opiate hangover is so much worse.

I haven't had a habit in 3 years. I have in the past 3 years used on maybe 10 or less occasions? Even that feels like it's a bit much when you've come from a full blown habit.

Good luck, some people can chip successfully - the vast majority can't though. I don't even think I'm doing well with it. That's how fucked opiate addiction is.

Yeah you could theoretically use once every 5 days and not get sick.

What I found with that is that I'd end up trying to use as much as possible on that one day and then I'd feel so sick the next day, having no tolerance like I'd had when I was a full blown junkie, the opiate hangover is so much worse.

I haven't had a habit in 3 years. I have in the past 3 years used on maybe 10 or less occasions? Even that feels like it's a bit much when you've come from a full blown habit.

Good luck, some people can chip successfully - the vast majority can't though. I don't even think I'm doing well with it. That's how fucked opiate addiction is.

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! That is what I was hoping to hear.

Do you think 5 days after withdrawals it is okay to use again?

No...

You have to try and wait as long as possible.