• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Concerning drug trends in New Zealand

poledriver

Bluelighter

The United Nations is concerned about the high presence of methamphetamine in New Zealand and says the already strong ecstasy market appears to be expanding.

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime had several concerns about drug trends in New Zealand in its report examining drug trends in Asia and the Pacific released yesterday.

It said methamphetamine use, manufacturing and trafficking continued to be at a high level, though its use appears to be declining in New Zealand and Australia in contrast to Asia where it is increasing.

Most of the methamphetamine supply in New Zealand was manufactured domestically with domestic and transnational organised criminal groups illicitly importing large quantities of manufacturing chemicals into the country, it said.

The importation of chemicals for drugs would likely continue with crime groups using new sources and smuggling methods.

The range of transnational groups trafficking methamphetamine into the county was likely to expand, the report said.

There were indications that the already strong market for ecstasy in New Zealand was expanding, the report said.

However, the pills' ingredients varied and a growing range of new psychoactive substances were used in pills sold as ecstasy, including BZP - which was used in party pills in New Zealand before it was banned in 2008.

The use of new psychoactive substances remained relatively low in New Zealand, the report said.

However, the use of synthetic cannabis increased sharply in 2011, then again in 2012. It was banned in July, 2013.

Cannabis remains the most used drug in New Zealand, followed by ecstasy, methamphetamine, and then BZP.

Cannabis accounts for about 81 percent of drug-related arrests and the largest number of drug related hospital admissions.

In 2012, there were 2286 cannabis related admissions, about 41 percent of all drug related admissions. This was closely followed by 2280 admissions for heroin, morphine and opiates.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Concerning-d...3/articleID/320686/Default.aspx#ixzz2k7lRiuoN

What are these cannabis smokers hospitalized for.. seems odd unless they are talking synthetic.. any one have clue what they are going to the hospital for?

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime had several concerns about drug trends in New Zealand in its report examining drug trends in Asia and the Pacific released yesterday.

I am concerned the other article said a hit of LSD was 40 dollars in NZ. The last few years of my life would have cost a lot of money if I lived there

How the FUCK is BZP one of the most used drugs....? Seriously? Like.... seriously!?!????!?!?

They had a huge (legal) industry there back some time ago where there was many companies selling pills of bzp, of course they were made to look like 'ecstasy' pills with stamps and colours, they did promotions over here to Aust where they'd send out free samples and a flyer to you, so if you liked it you could buy some over the net. Me and my mates got some mailed to us, I had them a couple of times and found them horrible. I think they ended up in pill reports some of them as well, no doubt people trying to flog them off as E's.

So I think the place had a huge amount of BZP and when it was made illegal it still probably got sold alot on the black market. I'm guessing it got made illegal. I havent re-read the article or looked into it tho, I was just replying to your comment.

at it's height the "party pill" industry was huge with dozens of manufacturers producing millions of pills of a year, once the bans came into effect these companies were sitting on thousands of kilos of bzp, so naturally there has been diversion into the illicit trade.
Strangely enough after the piperazines were classified they were still able to be exported overseas to markets where it was still legal. NZ based party pill companies at one point were sizable players in the UK legal highs scene.
Other piperazines beside bzp were also sold as well as possibly other chems since the industry was largely unregulated, methylone was also sold in party pill form for a limited time.

It's funny how the drugs with the absolute highest therapeutic indexes (THC, LSD) both regularly make ignoramuses feel certain they are about to die and need medical attention.