• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Concentrate vs. Flower

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
Sorry if the is a repost, haven't been on the boards as much as usual lately.

So I know concentrate(wax,shatter,crumble,terpsauce, etc) are becoming increasing popular. Personally being a heavier smoker I have been recently making the switch to concentrates, most seem to desire the "winterized" or "dewaxed" oils, myself included but I also have had some very high quiatlity crumble which seems to retain more of the smell and taste.

Just curious how everyone else out there feels about it. I know a lot my friends are switching to wax to take it easier on the lungs, but then(myself included) eventually switches back because of tolerance and it is a much different high.....

what are your thoguhts....??
1)Which kind do you prefer?

2)Why do you prefer it?

3)Which do you consider more efficient/effective?

4)What do you use cannabis for?

1) Flowers

2) Conc are too strong and not fun to smoke. Ruins the weed magic.

3) in terms of getting high on THC? the conc. I still prefer a joint over a dab anyday

4) to elevate

I like solvent-free hash. I think I prefer a high quality dry sift hash over anything else really, but it's not really easy to make good yields of very high quality dry sift. I like ice/bubble hash too & it seems much easier to get good yields of very high quality hash from trash leaf with that method, but some of the flavour is lost.

I'd like to try CO2 extracted oil & rosin too.

At the moment I'm happy with my weed vaporizers, there's more flavour, more high - similar to using high grade hash or oil, it's easy on the lungs/throat/mouth/nose, it works with plain bud.

I'm collecting a bit of hash in my new 4-part grinder.

1. Concentrates.

2. Flower makes me couch-locked and hungry, whereas I can get really high on concentrates but still be productive and get shit done. I'll usually take a hit (dab) before beginning tasks or activities for an extra motivation boost.

3. This is a loaded question, they each have their strengths. I think that concentrates are great for every day use, as they help motivate me to do what I have to do on any given day. Concentrates are also good for falling asleep at night. I prefer flower to alleviate pain/discomfort/nausea/illness, though. It truly depends on the strain, but I've found that I experience positive mood changes more frequently/noticeably with flower than I do with concentrates.

4. Because I enjoy using it.

I have never had the pleasure of trying wax/oil concentrates.. I want to. I'm pretty sure I would have to make it myself though.

For the time being as stated above; I just switched to vaporizing which is a bit of a boost in thc consumption without irritating or damaging your lungs. What I still haven't fully figured out yet though is the most effective way to breath vapour/concentrates (nearly same thing in the end, no?) Into the lungs for most effective absorption, and how long to hold in for. I've read that since there are minimal carcinogenic chemicals in the vapour you can hold it in longer. Until it comes out transparent (ghost hit). Is this true for both vaporizer and concentrates?

I use marijuana for a number of reasons.
It boosts my mood, creativity, concentration, provides some relief from back pain and social anxiety and it's fun :)
And recently after switching to vapour, I find it quite delectable

Hmmmm....

This is tough because I like to mix concentrates with flowers. .3g of chunked up hash mixed with about .6g-.7g of flowers per bowl is perfect. I do it like that because it's a bitch for me to smoke straight hash out of a bong, and I'm kind of over the whole tobacco-in-a-bowlpiece thing.

Concentrates are definitely more effective because of the potency difference. Problem with that, though, is I can find myself going through a concentrate stash much more quickly than a flower stash. Combine the two, however, and they both seem to last longer than they would separately.

I've never dealt with oils, wax or budder, though.

Cannabis is my crutch, bruddah. I use it when I'm bored, before most things I have scheduled (which isn't much, but seriously, I smoke before doing pretty much anything and I also smoke when I've got nothing to do), to forget about daily aches and pains, to fill the gap of a dwindling social life... I mean, it's my crutch. Helps me in damn near every way imaginable, and if that's not addict-speak I don't know what the fuck is, man.

Which kind do you prefer? And why?
Concentrates. Less expensive overall. Easier to deal with, I don't spend so much time packing bowls or rolling joints, I just turn the D-Nail on and take a dab when I want.

As far as type of concentrate--winterized (dewaxed) BHO generally. Occasionally I'll smoke something else to try it but that's my go-to. Best terpene preservation, and if done properly, it's good clean medicine.

I also take concentrate orally--generally this is in the form of ethanol-extracted oil (aka Rick Simpson Oil), or a special CO2 oil which has terpenes reintroduced.

Which do you consider more efficient/effective?
Absolutely concentrates, assuming you have the proper equipment, there's much less waste than flower.

What do you use cannabis for?
Severe stomach issues--pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.. Also anxiety and depression.

1) Flowers

2) Conc are too strong and not fun to smoke. Ruins the weed magic.

3) in terms of getting high on THC? the conc. I still prefer a joint over a dab anyday

4) to elevate

would pretty much have to agree with that, although I kind of switch between dabs and flower. I love any full melt concentrate, dabs are awesome- but I always think I'll switch to wax to save money and time(no grinding, rolling, smoking, etc) but I guess I have 0 self control because next thing I know I'm taking 5-10 dabs first thing in the morning.

But thanks for all the feedback everyone, keep it coming, loving to hear what you guys think!!

1) The high is awesome either way, but if I had to choose I'd say flowers.

2) Well, even when I'm using oil I prefer to smoke it with bud over dabbing or anything like that. There's something special to flower that I don't get from oil, & smoking just flower most of the time keeps my tolerance from getting too high...I also just have so much nostalgia with flowers, I've loved the herb for like 7 years now. That said, hashish is my favorite form of cannabis, sadly quite rare, even moreso since BHO got big...

3) Well for those with a dab rig concentrates are definitely more cost effective...at least until they shoot their tolerance so high that dank buds don't even work for them anymore (which I never want to experience in my life, fuck that).

4) I use cannabis to relax & unwind, shift my headspace/perspective a little bit (which I'd consider therapeutic), keep a little bit of trippiness in my daily life...it just mellows me out like nothing else, using it daily doesn't mess me up the way any of my other past drug habits did, & it just fits my mindset & lifestyle really well. It does a lot to mellow out the symptoms of my obsessive compulsive disorder as well.

The only concentrate I've had was actual hashish that I smoked in Spain where it's decriminalized more than a decade ago.

It was an excellent Sativa and I got super high from smoking a tiny bit of it, had a sort of psychedelic experience where a person's voice on a telephone sounded like a completely different person's voice (I hear this is common on cannabis as other people told me how it's happened to them), and eating it gave me a minor high that was not overwhelming.

In the United States I tried to get hash but couldn't find any, and just stuck to smoking mid-grade cannabis, and then only high quality cannabis when that became available. I've never dabbed or done any of that, and don't want to. At one time Keif, and hash oil interested me; but I no longer use cannabis or any other drugs, and haven't for years. I did try out a vaporizer once or twice and I enjoyed the high which was psychedelic but for me the high lasted a bit too long, and made me stay up most of the night as I couldn't sleep stoned.

1) Honestly I prefer flowers over concentrates.

2) Probably just because I've been smoking weed for so long that it's a ritual now. I love breaking weed up, packing a fat bowl, and smoking all day. Concentrates get expensive because I get out of hand with them and smoke way too much.

3) I know concentrates are both more efficient and effective, at least what I can get. Oil is cheaper in the sense that, pre-run, more flowers were used for the same amount of money. It also can get you higher and needs less material. But again, personally I can't conserve oil, so for me it's bud.

4) mainly fun/boredom relief, but theres plenty of reasons to hit a bowl

Which kind do you prefer? And why?

I also take concentrate orally--generally this is in the form of ethanol-extracted oil (aka Rick Simpson Oil), or a special CO2 oil which has terpenes reintroduced.

How do they reintroduce the terpenes? Is it the original terpenes from the extracted plant, or do they add in reagent grade limonene and pinene etc?

How do they reintroduce the terpenes? Is it the original terpenes from the extracted plant, or do they add in reagent grade limonene and pinene etc?

You can add them back in with an automatic stirrer or during the process of steam distillation.

It can be terpenes from cannabis or organic from produce (I'd venture to say most people use terpenes from cannabis but I'm not certain about that).

You can add them back in with an automatic stirrer or during the process of steam distillation.

It can be terpenes from cannabis or organic from produce (I'd venture to say most people use terpenes from cannabis but I'm not certain about that).

Interesting, I suppose you can customize the flavor then, like if you love piney weed, you could steam distill pine needle or something. A lot of possibilities there.

Interesting, I suppose you can customize the flavor then, like if you love piney weed, you could steam distill pine needle or something. A lot of possibilities there.

interesting indeed... I heard off-hand(rumor basically) that some producers of essential oil distillers are having trouble keeping up with demand(northern ca are at least). I didn't think that THC could be distilled, but perhaps people are using them to extract the terps and reintroduce them into the oil.