• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Computer Programming

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
Wonder if anybody else here is into coding and if, how did you learn it (by yourself, in a class/for work, ...) and which language(s) do you prefer?

I was quite advanced as a teen but some day threw it away because I didn't wanna spend so much time behind a screen anymore. Now I'm having too much time and lack good hobbies so recently began to toy around with compilers again and found a good, cheap webinar about web programming but what I love most is hardware/low-level stuff in C, currently trying out D but I'm quite more forgetful now than I was as a teen.

Looking forward to your replies! :)

I've been programming for a LONG time @plumbus-nine . Decades of it were professional work including a project with the USAF.

I started learning Fortran in University, but when I started working I learned Assembler, C, C++, Pascal and a few other weird languages.

Now a days I'm working a"passion" project in C++ (a Video Game using Unreal Engine).

I learned a bit of Java and Matlab for school, but never got very deep into it. This year I started learning Python for a project at work, and I've really been enjoying it. I've yet to work on any personal projects, but I have some ideas.

I code for a living. I got an undergraduate degree in computer science, but before that I was tinkering and once I got to school, it was super easy because I was already ahead of the curve, I was just filling in the gaps. These days, you can learn on your own pretty easily. My brother in law was a lawyer, and decided he hated it, and remembered that he enjoyed tinkering around with code in high school. He took an online coding boot camp, I think it was a 6 week course he paid for, and got certified and got a job making $65k/year right away afterwards.

There are a bunch of great online courses and programs that you can teach yourself with. I taught myself about Django (a Python web development framework) with codecademy.com, and built a web platform from scratch for my company over the past year, which just launched into production and got me a large promotion.

Python has become my favorite. It's very elegant, you can do a whole lot in one line of code.

Ultimately, my degree gave me a very deep and broad understanding of the concepts common to all programming languages. But you don't need a degree these days.

C is pretty archaic at this point, but still very much in use. It's fully compiled and very fast. But it's not an object-oriented programming language (C++ is though), and object-oriented programming is where it's at (in my opinion).

I love coding, it's a lot of fun to me, and it's a great career choice, it pays well and there are a ton of jobs.

I wish that I knew more about hardware description languages like VHDL and Verilog. I have always been interested in SOC and chip design and think it would be a lot of fun to design systems based on FPGAs just for fun.

I got an undergraduate degree in computer science, but before that I was tinkering and once I got to school, it was super easy because I was already ahead of the curve, I was just filling in the gaps. These days, you can learn on your own pretty easily. My brother in law was a lawyer, and decided he hated it, and remembered that he enjoyed tinkering around with code in high school. He took an online coding boot camp, I think it was a 6 week course he paid for, and got certified and got a job making $65k/year right away afterwards.

There are a bunch of great online courses and programs that you can teach yourself with.
Absolutely ! When I went to uni, it was the only chance that most people could get experience with a computer. They were too large and expensive for an individual own.

Now everyone has one in their pocket and it is easy to gain experience programming and do whatever your computing "dream" is.

Do it !!!