Computer Illustration and Stuff

justsomeguy

Bluelight Crew
okay, i just got back from my friends house, who recently purchased Adobe Photoshop.....i was fucking around with the little paint program, and realized that i needed to purchase illustration software for my computer (which i'm getting quite soon for this next semester). Which ones are good? Are virtual pens and papers available? Is it easier to design and illustrate on a Mac or a PC???
I have no experience with a virtual stylus and "virtual paper," but i imagine that they exist.....anyone have any info? input?

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever heard the term "virtual pen/paper" before, so I'm assuming you mean a stylus/tablet. In that case, you might want to look at Wacom (www.wacom.com). Their Graphire series is an extremely good entry level drawing tablet. I've been using mine for over a year and it works incredibly compared to similarly priced models. You might want to go to a CompUSA or similar computer store and try it out there and see how it works out for you.
Second, as powerful as Photoshop is, if you're looking for an Illustration/painting program that is more akin to "real" painting/drawing, you should check out Corel's Painter 7. Photoshop is a very powerful and great app (I use it daily) but as far as simulating different painting/drawing stlyles, Painter is stronger.
Oh, and the Mac vs. PC debate is kinda riduclous. The best answer to that question is that most graphic design/art studios tend to use Macs, while the PC is more widespread. There is no difference between ease of use on either machine. Stick with what youre more comfortable - that'll be the machine that is easier for you.
-christian

I got a graphire tablet for Christmas last year. It's a beautiful thing.
As far as the Mac vs. PC - One of the main reasons most graphic designers prefer Mac is because Mac moniters display colors with more accuracy than standard PC moniters. There is a general rule of thumb that anything designed on a Mac WILL be displayed on a PC with a minor loss of brightness. I'll try to chase down some on-line info to support this.
But, IMHO, screw the Mac vs. PC shite. Get one of the new iMacs. They are some kickass machines that put my own G4 to shame.
Adios,
Steve

how much did that graphite tablet run you, and what kind of software do you use with it? also, i'm looking for a laptop computer for college...does a desktop have advantages over laptops for design???

I have a Wacom graphire for my PC which cost me virtually nothing, EUR100 (about USD90). I hardly use it in normal life, but in some situations it is a very useful tool. The drivers are good and it is highly customizable.
The Wacom is good value for money. Do ask your dealer if they carry replacement pencils if yours breaks (cause they do sometimes).
Adobe Photoshop for PC handles Wacom's touch sensitivity very well, so you get a thicker/fatter brush if you push harder. I don't know how it interacts with other software.
[ 09 January 2002: Message edited by: skydancer ]

Good and usufull programs are Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Coreldraw, streamline, coreltrace, stuff like kaipowertools and so on.. And when you want to intergrate text and images together you can use programs like QuarkXpress and Adobe Indesign... :)

By saying "Next Semester" I'm guessing your going to art school or are taking art classes, I too go to art school so I'll suggest this:
If you going to get serious about art get a mac. I suggest either a Titanium Powerbook if you want a laptop (disadvantage is that it's not as expandable or upgradeable) or get one of the new iMacs if you'd like a desktop. If your really really serious, wait a few months and get a G5 Desktop that apple is sure to release in about 3 or 4 months.
As for a Wacom tablet, I have an Intuos not a graphire. It's more expensive but It's larger 5x7 and it has twice the levels of sensitivity. I think it ran me $350 for the tablet, pen, and "4D mouse".
As for software, if you a traditional artist and would like to do more traditional art on the computer I highly suggest painter as well. But, if you don't have a strong traditional background, get photoshop and Illustrator. It's all you'll need. Maybe think about "borrowing" a 3D program and play around it in. I use Lightwave, but Maya is tops and Cinema 4D is very nice as well.

There are some distinct advantages to both notebooks and desktop machines, especially while @ school. A desktop is extremely more expandable, from the monitor, keyboard, mem, etc. It's a safer bet, economically. If the monitor breaks, you can run out an get a cheap 15" monitor for about $100 used. If you want more HD space, just throw on an extra drive. It's also much cheaper to have a desktop - especially if you're able to build your own. Motherboards and CPU's are fairly inexpensive. Even if you're not inclined to go building a machine from scratch, there are so many inexpensive powerhouses available. You can probablly build a monster phat machine for the same amount that you'd spend on a middle-of-the-road laptop.
Also, having a desktop machine usually means it won't be physically moving much. If you keep your machine @ home, there's a less chance of theft or leaving it on the train, in a class, etc.
But...
A notebook in class can be extremely useful. If you go to a school whose computer labs are small or under-equipted, having your own machine sure beats out trying to fight for a good machine in class. Also, you'll be carrying your work w/ you everywhere, so you'll always have the opportunity to show any work that you're working on.

WOW, thanks for all the fantastic replies! I'm going to go out today and look at the new iMacs, stylus and software, then prolly do some online searching at home tonight......i'll keep you all updated........

leaving your laptop on the train?? blasphemy!!
i would also recommend waiting til the g5 desktop comes out, because it will be so sexy that you will want to fuck the shit out of it every night before you go to bed :D
but if you are more comfortable with using a pc, then there isnt a huge problem getting one, i use one, although i do lust over the powerbook g4s mmmmmmmmmmm mmmm :D

okay, i think i'm getting a Power Mac G4 Dual 800....should i wait and get one of those fancy-dancy new G4 iMacs, or go for the larger, clumsier G4???...with a 17'' flat screen monitor........anyway, what kind or brand of tablet, in the $500 dollar range, should i consider? besides the link above, where can i get a decent one off the web?
I'm sure i'll get Adobe Photoshop, but what software is optimum for a more creative painting medium.....software where i start with a blank screen, have millions of colors, brush types, and that i can use my tablet for primarily? is correl draw decent?? ACK! need more advice!!!!
[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: justsomeguy ]

i would also recommend waiting til the g5 desktop comes out, because it will be so sexy that you will want to fuck the shit out of it every night before you go to bed
Apple Computers would be very, very wise to hire Faerie as their new spokesperson. Plaster her face on every television in the civilized world and have her say those exact words, and EVERY computer nerd will buy one.
Makes my nipples hard just to read it.
Adios,
Steve

that would be nice, but i can't wait 3 or 4 months until they come out because of school....and i'm sure that if i did i might as well just sit around for the G6 or something....

If you are looking to accurately reproduce traditional madea on a computer I'd recommend Fractal Painter. I think they are up around version 9 now.

okay, i think i'm getting a Power Mac G4 Dual 800....should i wait and get one of those fancy-dancy new G4 iMacs, or go for the larger, clumsier G4???...with a 17'' flat screen monitor........
That's my exact machine. It's amazing you will definately not be disapointed. I suggest, if you have the money get this machine, if you can't afford the $4k go with the iMac.
Buy the Wacom Intuos 5x7 tablet (SE if you can find it and the 4D mouse is great too if you want to get it as well). Also, get a new mouse, I have this logitech mouse that's optical and has a scroll wheel, it was like $30, it's perfect.
If you going to get 1 program, get Adobe Photoshop. If your going to get 2, get Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Don't let anyone tell you else, these are industry standard and I only know 1 high profile, world famous designer that uses something else (todd purgason of juxt interactive uses macromedia freehand becuase he thinks it's better for flash)
Also, you might want to get some speakers, I suggest the Creative 5.1's or if you want supream sound (as I do) get the klipsch promedia series.

i was thinking about the new iMacs, but i'm a little reluctant to get one for two reasons: 1) they are just too goddamn goofy looking 2)they really don't have enough room to add extra "stuff".......they are so tightly engineered that i'm thinking what you get is what you get.
Yeah, a Wacom Intuos tablet is on the que, but i'm thinking of one a little bigger than 5x7...perhaps 9x12.......does the 5x7 have 1 to 1 correspondence with the screen?
Yeah, speakers are a must, and i actually was considering the Klipsch.....the guy at the store showed them to me, and they are pretty amazing.
I'm not sure if i'm going to be able to afford the Dual 800 machine....i might have to settle for the G4867, but i'd be sure to soup up the ram a bit.....so, you think Adobe Illustrator is superior to, say, Corel Draw or some other painting program? I'm not really wanting to do strictly design, but more creative, free-form type of art.
Thanks

in that case i would not recommend illustrator, for the simple fact that it is for precise vector work. it is a much better program for those who are a control freak with their designs and like everything crisp and perfect.

yeah, i don't think i'm too big on vectors or control.....i want sloppy creativity! what would you recommend for someone looking for a looser program?

wow it took awhile for the vector/raster to come out....
vector designing is VERY different from raster, vector is all about math (trigonometry i believe) so your work is very straight edged and what not, so a vector image will look exactly the same 100x larger...
raster is all about pixels, no math at all, so your work can be a lot more fluid, less crisp. A raster image WILL NOT look the same 100x larger.
vector is stuff like illustrator, raster is like photoshop... you cant say one is absolutely better than the other, they just do different things.
as for as the machine, the dual 800 g4 would be great, i dont know what the g5 will offer but im sure you wont be left in the dust with the g4
happy designing
Peace!

okay, i like the photoshop paint program a LOT, but i'm sure that their are more high powered programs, similair to photoshop, that focus on just free form painting and stuff....what are they? i'm looking for a photoshop like paint program that focuses on free-form painting only...