Mental Health Complex PTSD Resource Thread

Bump:

How to know if you might have cPTSD instead of PTSD?

Many people with cPTSD were initially diagnosed with regular PTSD. A big reason for this is that cPTSD is still not in the DSMV, while it is in the ICD -10. Psychologist and psychiatrists generally use the DSMV, dependent on the country.

You may notice after beginning treatment for regular PTSD that when being asked to focus on 'the' traumatic event, you struggle to do so because there were multiple, many, or it just blurs together. This was the case for me. In every PTSD CPT group I did, I struggled to select one single traumatic memory to focus on.

You may also find that you have additional symptoms that aren't being explained - a distinct lack of trust in other people, despite how much they've proven their trustworthy nature, a tendency to switch off emotionally when certain topics are discussed, feelings of intense guilt, shame, and self blame. Emotions which can vary widely over the course of a day (emotional dysregulation) and dissociation. You may also hold unrealistic views about the world and yourself, like 'I am a bad person, the world is a just place and bad things happen to bad people like me' to explain away traumatic experiences you've had. You may have a strong attachment with the perpetrator of your trauma, if it was interpersonal, or be obsessed over the idea of revenge.

Generally, complex PTSD arises from specific types of trauma. Things like torture, being in a concentration camp, and experiencing ongoing childhood physical, sexual or emotional abuse or neglect, or ongoing intimate partner violence. There is usually a strong interpersonal nature to the trauma, which results in the additional difficulties present with cPTSD vs PTSD.

Notably, cPTSD is still distinct from *chronic* PTSD, which is a long lasting form of PTSD which still arises from single incident trauma.

If you have a PTSD diagnosis, and your traumatic experiences were the same as those listed above (plus some others I have forgotten) and you are *not* improving at all with PTSD treatment, perhaps consider questioning your therapist about the possibility of cPTSD.

https://www.beautyafterbruises.org/what-is-cptsd this is a fantastic resource to try and help a professional gain understanding of this condition.

To note, to have a diagnosis of complex PTSD the trauma *must* be of a life threatening nature. This means that while someone may find an experience traumatic for themselves, if it doesn't meet that strict requirement then a diagnosis of stress disorder or adjustment disorder would likely result. This is to reflect the fact that certain types of traumas (especially interpersonal ones which are defined by a power imbalance) create a very specific kind of mental anguish in a person and only that type of experience is able to cause that level of distress on an objective level.

This isn't to say other experiences are not distressing, but they would not result in a complex PTSD diagnosis nor require the same level of ongoing treatment over sometimes decades. For many, it is the issue of being in an inescapable situation that provokes the sequelae of symptoms.

locked in hypervigilance
This is where I have been forever and nothing has been able to touch it... even benzos. Just kinda dull the edges a bit.
Therapies, prescribed drugs, meditations etc the list is endless.
Music with headphones on seems to help the most cause maybe it "grabs" most of my attention but I will get angry if I am interrupted at any point and brought back to "reality".
TBF I have had many head traumas and these are physical issues that seem to not be able to be "fixed".
The only time I feel free from this prison is when I am alone with my cats.
Maybe this isnt the right spot for this but your phrase triggered this posting and it was written in reflex.
Can toss it in the trash or whatever.

ps
I have learned to just live with it as a normal but it is a perpetual prison.

Music with headphones on seems to help the most cause maybe it "grabs" most of my attention but I will get angry if I am interrupted at any point and brought back to "reality".
i actively got told off for constantly having headphones in rehab because i 'had to learn to sit with myself'

do you know the fucking dumb thing? the chilling words that marked the start of the most petrifying period of my life would play on repeat and headphones did fuck all to stop them.

i think they are just more of an inbuilt defense. a lot of people who have been verbally abused long enough to develop defense mechanisms find ways to stop listening. even when i'm not wearing headphones i'm awful at listeining, but if you try and talk to me while i'm wearing them, you will be ignored if your lucky, otherwise it'll be wrath.

TBF I have had many head traumas and these are physical issues that seem to not be able to be "fixed".
Have you tried psychedelics?
Probably won’t cure all your issues or anything but could help a bit.

Last edited:
find ways to stop listening.
It is more of sudden/unexpected loud (my perception) noises that get to me. Say a gunshot rings out. If I am not the shooter it sets me off. Blast? Doesnt bother me a bit if I push the button. Screaming (again maybe perception) of any kind....
I listen to others with great intensity most times unless I perceive it as literal garbage and can turn hearing off.
Have you tried psychedelics?
A couple times. It helped broaden my "views" but nothing really is revealed since first time.
I have heard of mdma treatment and would love to try that but have not done the research of where to have it done... maybe this is a response to all the other failed attempts to "get out". IDK
Maybe I should work on that now....

It is more of sudden/unexpected loud (my perception) noises that get to me. Say a gunshot rings out. If I am not the shooter it sets me off. Blast? Doesnt bother me a bit if I push the button. Screaming (again maybe perception) of any kind....
Makes sense. PTSD arises from not having control over a traumatic situation and feeling helpless.

Not happening for me cause of my zip code. lol
Imma leave this thread alone. I need my BL atm.
Love you all.

This is where I have been forever and nothing has been able to touch it... even benzos. Just kinda dull the edges a bit.
Therapies, prescribed drugs, meditations etc the list is endless.
The only time I feel free from this prison is when I am alone with my cats.
Maybe this isnt the right spot for this but your phrase triggered this posting and it was written in reflex.
Can toss it in the trash or whatever.

ps
I have learned to just live with it as a normal but it is a perpetual prison.

My hypervigilance used to be horrific. I was unable to even sit at a birthday at a board games cafe with my friends one year without scrambling outside once every 10 minutes for a smoke.

I used to (and still do) flinch at really loud noises, thinks like doors slamming always get to me, sirens, loud yelling puts me immediately on edge especially if the person is agitated or annoyed or angry.

Trying to get to sleep was agonisingly painful. I'd lie awake almost falling to sleep but having flashbacks go through my head constantly the whole time, finally manage to almost fall asleep then wake up with a jerk yelling and screaming out 'no' or 'dont do it' apparently from what I have been told. And that cycle would continue for the whole night with me waking up every 3-4 hours. I got told it was hypervigilance continuing into the night time.

I couldn't sit in a room with my back facing the door if I was in a chair, although I can actually do this now (though I still prefer not do definitely) but prior to this year/last year I actually had to either make sure I got to places before everyone else to get the right chair, or actually needed to ask them to move so I could sit there instead. Which was irritating and embarassing respectively.

If a door opens and I'm asleep I will immediately wake up, no matter how deeply I've been asleep with my sleeping meds. Just automatically happens.

When I'm out in public I find myself constantly scanning the environment for anyone who might be a threat, which is completely exhausting but I can't switch off.

My hypervigilance improved dramatically when I did the male survivors of child sexual abuse 8 week peer group that I did. It was the single most helpful thing I did for my complex PTSD.

Question for anyone. What is the defining feature or symptom of your cPTSD?

For me it is an unbreakable tie between my complete inability to fully trust anyone and deal wanting to have close relationships/friendships feeling a need to keep them at arms length.

The other, is the pervasive and toxic and infallible feeling of self blame and the need to punish myself to correct the balance.

The other things have become tolerable for me with time.

I don't know what I have but I feel that one big time.
also not being able to keep relationships more than a few months.
i described another thing to arrall, he said it was dissociation.

Yeah I have a form of dissociated I looked into with my clinical psychologist who luckily knew heaps about it. Like I mentioned to you. Two parts of me, not DID. One part is detached from the trauma and has no emotional response to it which is the part I had to develop in order to grow up as a child with my father being the perpetrator and not show fear.

The other part is pure emotion and is the part which holds the trauma. When the detached part gets pushed too close to having to go into graphic detail about the trauma, the emotional part switches on. Then eventually once that ends, the dissociation kicks in again and I end up detached.

Weird feeling. One of my friends who has ndis funding for PTSD for also CSA struggles with being triggered *constantly* and tbh she gets triggered over stuff that isn't even possible. She also won't start working on her cPTSD because she says she wants to wait until she is more stable and I'm like 'why? It's gonna destabilize you whatever you do to treat it that is the only way to treat ptsd' honestly I'm stunned she got access to the funding in terms of meeting the requirements for having done enough treatment. She undoubtedly meets the requirements for now impaired she is and the impact it has on her life. But like we have been in therapy the same amount of time and she hasn't even disclose who the perpetrator was to the therapist and I'm like 'honestly if you can't trust your therapy after half a decade, I would suggest finding a new one' and the therapist who did her funding application wrote 'due to the prologued and extreme nature of her trauma progress is very slow'. I told my friend I do not think she should have been allowed to see that sentence. I think it's done her a disservice. And because she hasn't disclosed anything to me but finds me disclosing to her helpful, I explained how there is no trauma competition and I couldn't Compare it anyway since I have no details, and I then reassured her that should she ever choose to tell me I will believe her and listen to her. But I pointed out that my trauma was from 7-27 and I cannot remember a period during that time the sexual abuse wasn't happening. That would also meet the definition of prolonged and extreme. But I made progress. Why? She asked me why I don't have massive emotional dysregulation anymore and I explained largely because the perpetrator was my dad I'm constantly dissociated. And then she asked how I deal with the feelings of shame and I told her I disclosed my whole story to people I wanted to know and she said she could never do that. I told her I thought that too but it isn't as scary as it seems and she said she worries people won't believe her. I told her that her husband already knows it was CSA Just not details. So does her key worker. So does her psych. These people will all believe her. I want her to be able to live a life more like I do but she refuses to do anything which may cause her to become dysregulated and no matter me explaining that to treat cPTSD or PTSD it requires dysregulation when the avoidance is no longer being used as a coping mechanism she won't do it.

And that is the trap of PTSD and cPTSD. When people are so unable to tolerate the negative feelings arising from treatment that they won't take a chance on in. It hurts and it fucking sucks but the reward is unbelievable.

But my friend didn't understand why I dissociate all the time because her perpetrator was different. She couldn't understand needing to grow up behaving like things were fine after experiencing that, and then pretending for most of your adult life there's no issue.

If I could actually feel it I'd have blown my brains out by now.

BUMP

Would like everyone to note that this thread now includes any of the trauma diagnoses which stem from Developmental Trauma, such as OSDD (Other Specified Dissociative Disorder) and DID (Disociative Identity Disorder), as well as Borderline Personality Disorder (as statistics say abuse history is upwards of 90% reported).

This is not the place to debate the existence of dissociative disorders, particularly DID. If you are wanting to learn more about it (with the note that people's scepticism of DID as a real Disorder is directly correlated to their lack of education about the disorder), then I encourage you to read this fantastic article which goes through common myths, misconceptions, and stigma surrounding it.

Many people struggle with dissociation, and people with OSDD and DID simply are people who as children relied so heavily on this as their only coping mechanism for an extreme situation, that it became totally ingrained. They're not crazy, it's a trauma diagnosis and should be treated as such.

Thank you for sharing Separating Fact From Fiction.
That study is one of the best for debunking common misconceptions surrounding DID.

I also strongly recommend https://did-research.org for education on DID & other traumagenic disorders.

EDIT:
This article is a great starting point.

Thank you for sharing Separating Fact From Fiction.
That study is one of the best for debunking common misconceptions surrounding DID.

I also strongly recommend https://did-research.org for education on DID & other traumagenic disorders.

EDIT:
This article is a great starting point.

It is a brilliant study. Excellent references, well researched. Well argued. And so important for this issue in particular.

There is so much misconception about DID not just due to the media representation over the years, but also how it has become one of the most widely self diagnosed disorders amongst younger people on Tik Tok.

I am not opposed to self diagnosis - in fact for people who do it I encourage them to pursue a diagnosis if it's affordable and accessible.

But it is crucial in terms of correct treatment when different conditions are at play. BPD has DBT as a gold standard. Ptsd and cptsd have EMDR. DID and OSDD have different better treatments.

I was misdiagnosed with bipolar, were pretty sure (thought weed was giving me psychosis as a teen then constant ups and downs got labelled as mania and depression but was just undiagnosed Neurodivergence.

With my complex childhood trauma history, when I had my autism assessment the assessor had to check and verify several times that I was able to differentiate between what is trauma for me, what is autism, and what is both.

I'd hate to see someone rush to label what is actually childhood trauma as autism and not get the treatment they need.

Serious diagnoses need serious treatment.

Additionally, from what I can see on Tik Tok, for the most part, people seem to basically just discuss their alters in great detail (which to me I would assume someone with DID would be averse to doing) and don't talk about many of the more unusual symptomology.

Basically boiling it down to 'alters are quirky' in my opinion, which does people who have it a huge disservice.