• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Complex PTSD Resource Thread

Eligiu

Moderator: TDS; Discord Sr. Staff
Staff member
Hi everyone.

I've noticed a distinct trend both on the forums and discord of people who are diagnosed with complex PTSD/complex trauma.

Gabor Mate has a pretty solid point (I think) where he states that trauma is the gateway drug to addiction.

I've been battling my cPTSD properly since 2016, which was when I finally ran away from home. It took a very long time to make substantial progress, but at this stage I'm a completely different person. From a guy who would turn sullen and aggressive at any mention of my father and would violently refuse hugs, I can now explicitly discuss the details of my abuse when I chose to disclose and enjoy hugs from people I care about. This is through 7-8 years of intense work.

I also did a lot of reading along the way, not all of which I can remember, but I thought it would be a cool idea for people to post their cPTSD resources that have helped them so that others may find a place to start working through severe trauma.

1. The Body Keeps the Score - Bessel Van Der Kolk. This is hard to read, quite scientific and dense. Probably not the first thing I'd dive into but gives excellent details on why your body responds to trauma how it does.

2. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving - Pete Walker. An excellent resource, written by a therapist with cptsd himself. Very readable, especially in moments you may be struggling. Comes with a workbook and tools to use throughout your more difficult times.

3. Brene Brown - The Gifts of Imperfection. This is a fantastic book about shame and how it impacts people's lives. A must read for those who experienced prolonged childhood abuse, particularly by a caregiver.

4. Brene Brown - Daring Greatly. Also touches on shame but builds on how to live a life of vulnerability and to 'own your story.' This book gave me the strength to disclose my childhood abuse to chosen people.

5. What happened to You? Dr Bruce D Perry and Oprah Winfrey. Lots of interesting neuroscience in this book, I loved it. Talks about how we should be asking people who experienced trauma 'what happened to you' instead of 'what is wrong with you.' The only part of this I didn't like was that Oprah suggested that forgiving the person who abused or neglected you is the only way to heal - it is one way to heal. Not forgiving that person is just as valid.

6. http://pairadocks.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-10-steps-of-emotion-processing.html?m=1 a blog post about emotional processing

7. https://www.reddit.com/r/CPTSD/wiki/faq cPTSD FAQ. Useful resource for all things complex trauma related.

That's it for now, I'll update with some Reddit posts which I found amazing and any other books I recall. If you have something, please don't hesitate to add it.

WHAT IS COMPLEX TRAUMA:
Complex trauma, or cPTSD is a type of trauma that arises out of specific types of traumatic situations. It is not yet in the DSMV, however it is in the ICD-10.

Types of trauma that can cause CPTSD include but are not limited to:

- Prolonged child sexual abuse by a parent or caregiver.
- prolonged physical or emotional abuse by a parent or a caregiver.
- repeated sexual assaults.
- torture.
- being a prisoner of war.
- being in a natural disaster.
- being a victim of domestic violence.

It is the 'unescapable' nature of the trauma which results in complex PTSD. A person can experience multiple traumas in their life and never have complex PTSD. The interpersonal nature of the trauma is also significant. Most causal traumas are between people where there should exist an element of trust - parent/child, spouses.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF COMPLEX TRAUMA?

The symptoms are the CORE symptoms of PTSD (re-experiencing, arpusal, avoidance) PLUS affect regulation problems
People with complex PTSD tend to experience the core symptoms of PTSD as well as disturbances in their thoughts, behaviours and emotions including:

• difficulties expressing emotions — it is common for someone to lose control of their emotions, such as in explosive anger or persistent sadness
  • negative self-belief — a person can view themselves in a negative light, and they may feel helpless, guilty, or ashamed
  • problems maintaining healthy relationships due to lack of trust — in some cases people avoid relationships completely, while others can develop unhealthy relationships
  • ongoing feelings of emptiness
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I THINK I HAVE COMPLEX PTSD?

Please see a licensed therapist. cPTSD is difficult to diagnose and there are other mental health issues that look incredibly similar to it (such as Borderline Personality Disorder). In order to make sure you get the correct diagnosis and treatment, it's important to see someone who knows what they are doing.

TYPES OF THERAPY FOR COMPLEX TRAUMA:

1. Trauma Focussed Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

2. Cognitive Processing Therapy

3. Dialectical Behaviour Therapy

4. Exposure Therapy

5. Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)

6. Narrative Therapy

7. Family Systems Therapy

8. Accelerated Resolution Therapy

MEDICATIONS WHICH CAN HELP WITH SYMPTOMS:

- various antidepressants, I believe Effexor is one of them.

- Prazosin, a blood pressure medication which can prevent nightmares in those with PTSD. It can however come with such severe side effects that treatment is impossible, including 'first dose syncope' and extreme lightheadedness at increasing doses. It also apparently is more effective for people who experienced sexual trauma than other kinds.

- Guanfacine is an ADHD medication which I've just found out also can help with cPTSD/PTSD. It can target dissociation, hypervigilance, hyper-arousal (nightmares and flashbacks). It can also cause blood pressure issues.

- Clonidine, another blood pressure medication which works similarly to Guanfacine but which is more sedating. Side effects likely to be the same or similar as the above two.

- Propranolol, while not a medication specifically for PTSD or cPTSD is phenomenal at targetting physical anxiety symptoms, which obviously arise in this context with panic attacks and flashbacks. It won't do anything mentally, but it will stop shaking, sweating, racing heart, choking feeling, lightheadedness, etc. Doesn't have many of the same side effects as I've noticed from the other except it may keep your blood pressure a tad lower.

- tizanidine, another medication similar to the ones above

OTHER HELPFUL THINGS:

- Zen meditation

- mindfulness training

WARNINGS:

As stated by another member, GABA agents (alcohol, benzodiazapine medications) are NOT a sustainable option for treating cPTSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I am thankful this is here! I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD and I have not really made any progress, if anything I have just gotten worse and more isolated. I am following this thread!
Hi, this thread may not be as useful for you with a PTSD diagnosis as I suspect a big part of it will be discussing the issues with affect regulation that arise in cPTSD which aren't a prevalent issue in PTSD (as in, the intense feelings of shame and guilt due to interpersonal trauma) but hopefully people will also share things on how to deal with flashbacks, how to reduce avoidance, and how to manage triggers so definitely stay following as I'm sure there will be something of use here.

PTSD and cPTSD are distinct diagnoses as per the ICD-10 - they're seperate enough to list as different mental health issues but consider this relevant to yourself and just ignore what you don't need.

Don't forget about the /r/CPTSD FAQ.
Hi, this thread may not be as useful for you with a PTSD diagnosis as I suspect a big part of it will be discussing the issues with affect regulation that arise in cPTSD which aren't a prevalent issue in PTSD (as in, the intense feelings of shame and guilt due to interpersonal trauma) but hopefully people will also share things on how to deal with flashbacks, how to reduce avoidance, and how to manage triggers so definitely stay following as I'm sure there will be something of use here.

PTSD and cPTSD are distinct diagnoses as per the ICD-10 - they're seperate enough to list as different mental health issues but consider this relevant to yourself and just ignore what you don't need.
Most people with CPTSD have PTSD diagnoses as the vast majority of doctors in most countries have yet to adapt to the new guidelines recognizing CPTSD as a separate disorder (that were published just under 4 months ago.)
@Insert_Name_Here I would suggest reading through the page I linked to determine if you have PTSD or CPTSD, as treatment for the two can certainly differ.

Don't forget about the /r/CPTSD FAQ.

Most people with CPTSD have PTSD diagnoses as the vast majority of doctors in most countries have yet to adapt to the new guidelines recognizing CPTSD as a separate disorder (that were published just under 4 months ago.)
@Insert_Name_Here I would suggest reading through the page I linked to determine if you have PTSD or CPTSD, as treatment for the two can certainly differ.
Correct. It's hard to say which is appropriate given the diagnostic issues and particularly the fact that is yet to be included in the mental health gospel of truths.

I think more broadly anyone who experienced a type of abuse or trauma that can result in cPTSD may find something of use here, but I'm sure people who do have PTSD as opposed to cPTSD and that is definite can also find beneficial information due to the overlap. I hope so at least.

Emdr and zen meditation/Buddhism in general have been essential to my healing. TMS and “feeding your demons” by tsultrim allione were extremely helpful. Also — the absolute worst thing for cPTSD is to treat it with GABA agents. Benzos and ethanol to more damage to the systems already damaged in ptsd. GABA agents are NOT a sustainable option for treating cPTSD.

Medications which can help:

Various antidepressant medications can help with cPTSD and PTSD.

Specifically, non antidepressants can include Prazosin, a blood pressure medication which can prevent nightmares in those with PTSD. It can however come with such severe side effects that treatment is impossible, including 'first dose syncope' and extreme lightheadedness at increasing doses. It also apparently is more effective for people who experienced sexual trauma than other kinds.

Guanfacine is an ADHD medication which I've just found out also can help with cPTSD/PTSD. It can target dissociation, hypervigilance, hyper-arousal (nightmares and flashbacks). It can also cause blood pressure issues.

I've currently just started the latter and have been on the former for a significant period of time. I'll update in a couple of weeks when I notice some changes

Medications which can help:

Various antidepressant medications can help with cPTSD and PTSD.

Specifically, non antidepressants can include Prazosin, a blood pressure medication which can prevent nightmares in those with PTSD. It can however come with such severe side effects that treatment is impossible, including 'first dose syncope' and extreme lightheadedness at increasing doses. It also apparently is more effective for people who experienced sexual trauma than other kinds.

Guanfacine is an ADHD medication which I've just found out also can help with cPTSD/PTSD. It can target dissociation, hypervigilance, hyper-arousal (nightmares and flashbacks). It can also cause blood pressure issues.

I've currently just started the latter and have been on the former for a significant period of time. I'll update in a couple of weeks when I notice some changes
Clonidine is another blood pressure medication (Apparently it is very similar to Guanfacine but more sedating) that I have found to help with insomnia and nightmares. I found Prazosin to actually make things worse in terms of sleep due to the side effects.

think accelerated resolution therapy (ART) deserves a mention.

i had great results with EMDR but i had a lot of things that i could not bring to mind safely, no matter the amount of techniques i learned to regulate myself. i really doubted ART because how the fuck can you resolve something without even bring it to mind? i don't care how it works. it did for me and i've heard of other people with trauma they cannot safely treat with EMDR also have great results.

disclaimer: though its amazing, like i went from having a panic attack before the session just thinking about the possibility of dealing with this stuff, not even bringing it to mind. after the session i could replay what happened without a strong emotional response. but, 6 months later my brain found a new angle about being upset about the most traumatic things, and i felt like i was back to square 1. before ART the only thing that helped was heroin, and i was petrified i was going to relapse after putting in SO much work. in the end sertraline and some more traditional therapy stabilised me. i haven't dared come off sertraline then.

i guess i'm saying, it produced results that i didn't believe were possible. i did not think i could live without feeling like i was being attacked in some way almost all the time. ART and EMDR helped me be able to live. but brains are fuckers and you can't resolve all this shit at once, i will probably have more sessions once i come off sertraline to address the new ways my brain has deicded to fuck me over.

eta: also, vagus nerve stimulation. in particular i have found buddhist chanting to produce a profound sense of wellbeing and i spoke to someone versed in professionally in cPTSD and an experienced buddhist practitioner said it is because that particular type of vagus nerve stimulation is very helpful for cPTSD for reasons i forget. there are non religious ways of stimulating the vagus nerve. sorry i don't have any resources, i looked it up ages ago and tried a few of the techniques but none produced the effect i got from chanting. so if you try it, try a few and don't go in with your expectations too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clonidine is another blood pressure medication (Apparently it is very similar to Guanfacine but more sedating) that I have found to help with insomnia and nightmares. I found Prazosin to actually make things worse in terms of sleep due to the side effects.
Clonadine, that's the one. I knew I forgot one of them. Also a great medication option.

propranolol has been a godsend.
I didn't specifically include propranolol as it works for any general anxiety, however I do think it's useful for people to know is an option so I'm glad you mentioned it. The other medications mentioned target cPTSD/PTSD specifically with nightmares or hyper-arousal.

I think it remiss not to include it so I'll add it to my original post with Arrall's suggestion of Clonidine and the other two I initially mentioned.

think accelerated resolution therapy (ART) deserves a mention.

i had great results with EMDR but i had a lot of things that i could not bring to mind safely, no matter the amount of techniques i learned to regulate myself. i really doubted ART because how the fuck can you resolve something without even bring it to mind? i don't care how it works. it did for me and i've heard of other people with trauma they cannot safely treat with EMDR also have great results.

disclaimer: though its amazing, like i went from having a panic attack before the session just thinking about the possibility of dealing with this stuff, not even bringing it to mind. after the session i could replay what happened without a strong emotional response. but, 6 months later my brain found a new angle about being upset about the most traumatic things, and i felt like i was back to square 1. before ART the only thing that helped was heroin, and i was petrified i was going to relapse after putting in SO much work. in the end sertraline and some more traditional therapy stabilised me. i haven't dared come off sertraline then.

i guess i'm saying, it produced results that i didn't believe were possible. i did not think i could live without feeling like i was being attacked in some way almost all the time. ART and EMDR helped me be able to live. but brains are fuckers and you can't resolve all this shit at once, i will probably have more sessions once i come off sertraline to address the new ways my brain has deicded to fuck me over.

eta: also, vagus nerve stimulation. in particular i have found buddhist chanting to produce a profound sense of wellbeing and i spoke to someone versed in professionally in cPTSD and an experienced buddhist practitioner said it is because that particular type of vagus nerve stimulation is very helpful for cPTSD for reasons i forget. there are non religious ways of stimulating the vagus nerve. sorry i don't have any resources, i looked it up ages ago and tried a few of the techniques but none produced the effect i got from chanting. so if you try it, try a few and don't go in with your expectations too high.

Added ART, and I can add the other stuff if you can provide any link to a blog or webpage which has an explanation or people can just read out the chanting stuff from your post.

Emdr and zen meditation/Buddhism in general have been essential to my healing. TMS and “feeding your demons” by tsultrim allione were extremely helpful. Also — the absolute worst thing for cPTSD is to treat it with GABA agents. Benzos and ethanol to more damage to the systems already damaged in ptsd. GABA agents are NOT a sustainable option for treating cPTSD.
I have added your warning about GABA agents. It would be very helpful (if and when you have the time and energy) for you to write up something a bit more detailed about why GABA agents are bad, moreso than 'bandaid solution' as I want this to be as scientific a thread as possible. I don't know enough about the topic to take your statement and run with it but I've Seen a lot of your comments about cPTSD on the discord so I know you're very knowledgeable. If you want to DM me a bigger block of information about this or just reply so I can post it in the original comment under a heading with 'warnings' then that would be very useful

I have added your warning about GABA agents. It would be very helpful (if and when you have the time and energy) for you to write up something a bit more detailed about why GABA agents are bad, moreso than 'bandaid solution' as I want this to be as scientific a thread as possible. I don't know enough about the topic to take your statement and run with it but I've Seen a lot of your comments about cPTSD on the discord so I know you're very knowledgeable. If you want to DM me a bigger block of information about this or just reply so I can post it in the original comment under a heading with 'warnings' then that would be very useful
Ptsd and adjacent problems are caused by traumatic stress injury to the brain, particularly to the GABA / glutamate axis which controls muscle tension, anxiety etc etc. - GABA agents work extremely well to control symptoms because they are increasing signalling in the systems that are damaged —- it’s not a sustainable treatment path because bzd and ethanol specifically cause additional damage to the same systems we're discussing. If you use a GABA blanket to treat this - you never learn real coping mechanisms, and go on thinking it’s ok until either the GABA agents stop working, a doctor pulls your Rx due to age and dementia, or perceived abuse (happening rn to my mother) or you are in a wicked spiral of increasing dosages.

If you hit the escalating dose/damage point your options are to embrace alcoholism or bzd addiction leaving Las Vegas style til you kill someone in a dui and/or destroy all your relationsips, or your pancreas explodes and if you DO decide to clean up you have the unmitigated hell of GABA withdrawal (on top of and exacerbating the ptsd symptoms — mind you, same systems so whatever was bad before is now 100x worse, AND you still have to learn the real coping mechanisms to stand a chance, just now it’s much more difficult.)

My mom is a textbook example. terrible PTSD from a violent LSD dose in early 70s (dosed without knowledge), SEVERE cPTSD, got put in a mental institution as a schizophrenic for several months, awful. She was given benzos then and has taken them religiously since. Her life is "stabilized" but over time she's been on an increasing dose and now sits at 2mg xanax throughout the day and a whopping 90mg temazepam at night. -- for years she felt her ptsd was under control until she attempted to reduce her temazepam. reduction by 2mg caused a 200% rebound in problematic cPTSD issues, and she freaked out and immediately terminated the titration. She is getting dementia signs and the doctors at some point WILL pull her Rx (the FDA has made it to where you 100% cannot rx benzos to people with dementia signs... IE every old person that has been on benzos 20 years. i know several people in this positions atm). She is in no way prepared, her brain is in much worse shape and the problems she thought she had unter control are very much waiting to come back and ruin her life. as i said - if you think ptsd is bad - ptsd + benzo withdrawal is a hellraiser style suffering grotto I wish on no human, even the ones whos actions ended up with me having cPTSD.

It's much easier to learn to deal with/stand the symptoms and develop techniques for dealing with them from as sober a mindset as possible. it's difficult, and doesn't feel good. But I guarantee from personal experience it is way LESS difficult than the options described above.

Tl;dr chronic gaba agents damage gaba systems, if you’re already struggling w ptsd and anxiety you can see why this is an issue. See also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative–hypnotic_withdrawal)

IMO benzos are useful as a one off treatment at the time of major trauma, or to break someone from a locked in hypervigilance state, although i would prefer propranolol assuming im not losing blood and need to not mess w pressure. More than that they contribute to the same issues you are trying to treat, and encourage people not to do therapy and personal work they will need to deal with their cPTSD long term.

Last edited:
Clonadine, that's the one. I knew I forgot one of them. Also a great medication option.
Just for completeness's sake, tizanidine is another common alpha2 agonist which shares the pharmacology of guanfacine and clonidine.

Although I don't live with PTSD or cPTSD, my therapist recommended vagus nerve stimulation to help me deal with anxiety and depression (I'm diagnosed schizoaffective, bipolar type). She sent me this PDF on different ways the vagus nerve can be stimulated.

Edit: Fuck, couldn't figure out how to link a PDF URL. Copy/paste it is then.

How to Stimulate Your Vagus Nerve for Better Mental Health

Adapted from - January 21, 2017 Jordan Fallis

“By developing an understanding of the workings of your vagus nerve, you may find it possible to work with your nervous system rather than feel trapped when it works against you.” — Dr. Arielle Schwartz, Clinical Psychologist

Stimulating my vagus nerve has played a key role in the management of my mental health over the years.

What exactly is the vagus nerve?

The vagus nerve is the longest nerve in your body.

It connects your brain to many important organs throughout the body, including the gut (intestines, stomach), heart and lungs.

In fact, the word "vagus" means “wanderer” in Latin, which accurately represents how the nerve wanders all over the body and reaches various organs.

The vagus nerve is also a key part of your parasympathetic “rest and digest” nervous system. It influences your breathing, digestive function and heart rate, all of which can have a huge impact on your mental health.

But what you really need to pay special attention to is the "tone" of your vagus nerve. Vagal tone is an internal biological process that represents the activity of the vagus nerve.

Increasing your vagal tone activates the parasympathetic nervous system, and having higher vagal tone means that your body can relax faster after stress.

In 2010, researchers discovered a positive feedback loop between high vagal tone, positive emotions, and good physical health. In other words, the more you increase your vagal tone, the more your physical and mental health will improve, and vice versa (5).

“The vagal response reduces stress. It reduces our heart rate and blood pressure. It changes the function of certain parts of the brain, stimulates digestion, all those things that happen when we are relaxed.” — Dr. Mladen Golubic, MD, Medical Director of the Cleveland Clinic

What’s interesting is that studies have even shown that vagal tone is passed on from mother to child. Mothers who are depressed, anxious and angry during their pregnancy have lower vagal activity. And once they give birth to their child, the newborn also has low vagal activity and low dopamine and serotonin levels (1-3). Your vagal tone can be measured by tracking certain biological processes such as your heart rate, your breathing rate, and your heart rate variability (HRV).

When your heart rate variability (HRV) is high, your vagal tone is also high. They are correlated with each other (53-55).

If you’re vagal tone is low, don’t worry - you can take steps to increase it by stimulating your vagus nerve. This will allow you to more effectively respond to the emotional and physiological symptoms of your brain and mental illness.

For people with treatment-resistant depression, the FDA has even approved a surgically-implanted device that periodically stimulates the vagus nerve. (6-9).

But you don’t need to go down that route.

You can enjoy the benefits of vagus nerve stimulation naturally by following these steps.

1. Cold Exposure
Acute cold exposure has been shown to activate the vagus nerve and activate cholinergic neurons through vagus nerve pathways (10).

Researchers have also found that exposing yourself to cold on a regular basis can lower your sympathetic “fight or flight” response and increase parasympathetic activity through the vagus nerve (11).

I often take cold showers and go outside in cold temperatures with minimal clothing.

Try finishing your next shower with at least 30 seconds of cold water and see how you feel. Then work your way up to longer periods of time.

You can also ease yourself into it by simply sticking your face in ice-cold water.

2. Deep and Slow Breathing
Deep and slow breathing is another way to stimulate your vagus nerve.

It’s been shown to reduce anxiety and increase the parasympathetic system by activating the vagus nerve (51-52).

Most people take about 10 to 14 breaths each minute. Taking about 6 breaths over the course of a minute is a great way to relieve stress. You should breathe in deeply from your diaphragm. When you do this, your stomach should expand outward. Your exhale should be long and slow. This is key to stimulating the vagus nerve and reaching a state of relaxation.

3. Singing, Humming, Chanting and Gargling
The vagus nerve is connected to your vocal cords and the muscles at the back of your throat.

Singing, humming, chanting and gargling can activate these muscles and stimulate your vagus nerve.

And this has been shown to increase heart-rate variability and vagal tone (12).

I often gargle water before swallowing it. This is discussed more in Dr. Datis Kharrazian’s book, Why Isn’t My Brain Working?

4. Probiotics
It’s becoming increasingly clear to researchers that gut bacteria improve brain function by affecting the vagus nerve (27).

In one study, animals were given the probiotic Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, and researchers found positive changes to the GABA receptors in their brain, a reduction in stress hormones, and less depression and anxiety-like behaviour.

The researchers also concluded that these beneficial changes between the gut and the brain were facilitated by the vagus nerve. When the vagus nerve was removed in other mice, the addition of Lactobacillus Rhamnosus to their digestive systems failed to reduce anxiety, stress, and improve mood (25).

Another study found that the probiotic Bifidobacterium Longum normalized anxiety-like behavior in mice by acting through the vagus nerve (26).

5. Meditation
Meditation is my favourite relaxation technique and it can stimulate the vagus nerve and increase vagal tone.

Research shows that meditation increases vagal tone and positive emotions, and promotes feelings of goodwill towards yourself (22, 23). Another study found that meditation reduces sympathetic “fight or flight” activity and increases vagal modulation (21).

6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that your body cannot produce itself. They are found primarily in fish and are necessary for the normal electrical functioning of your brain and nervous system.

They often appear in most of my posts because they are so critical for brain and mental health and affect so many aspects of wellness. They’ve been shown to help people overcome addiction, repair a “leaky brain”, and even reverse cognitive decline.

But researchers have also discovered that omega-3 fatty acids increase vagal tone and vagal activity (35-37, 40). Studies shown that they reduce heart rate and increase heart rate variability, which means they likely stimulate the vagus nerve (34, 38, 39).

And high fish consumption is also associated with “enhanced vagal activity and parasympathetic predominance” (35).

7. Exercise
I’ve already discussed how exercise increases your brain’s growth hormone, supports your brain’s mitochondria, and helps reverse cognitive decline.

But it’s also been shown to stimulate the vagus nerve, which may explain its beneficial brain and mental health effects (28).

Many brain health experts recommend exercise as their number one piece of advice for optimal brain health.

This is my exercise routine:

 Lift heavy weights 1-4 times per week
 High-intensity interval sprinting 1-2 times per week
 Walk as much as I can (ideally 30-60 minutes every day)

Walking, weightlifting and sprinting are the best forms of exercise, but you should choose a sport or exercise routine that you enjoy, so that you will stick with it consistently.

8. Massage
Research shows that massages can stimulate the vagus nerve, and increase vagal activity and vagal tone (31-32).

The vagus nerve can also be stimulated by massaging several specific areas of the body.Foot massages (reflexology) have been shown to increase vagal modulation and heart rate variability, and decrease the “fight or flight” sympathetic response (29). Massaging the carotid sinus, an area located near the right side of your throat, can also stimulate the vagus nerve to reduce seizures (30).

I personally get a massage from a registered massage therapist every couple of months.

9. Socializing and Laughing
I’ve already discussed how socializing and laughing can reduce your body’s main stress hormone.

And now I’ve now that they are likely doing this by stimulating the vagus nerve.

Researchers have discovered that reflecting on positive social connections improves vagal tone and increases positive emotions (47, 48).

Laughter has been shown to increase heart-rate variability and improve mood (49). And vagus nerve stimulation often leads to laughter as a side effect, suggesting that they are connected and influence one another (50).

So my advice is to hang out and laugh with your friends as much as possible. Although I should probably be taking my own advice here, as I’m an introvert and often avoid socializing too much.

Conclusion
You don’t have to be controlled by your body and mind. You have the power to tell them what to do.

By stimulating the vagus nerve, you can send a message to your body that it’s time to relax and de-stress, which leads to long-term improvements in mood, wellbeing and resilience.

Increasing my vagal tone has allowed me to overcome anxiety and depression, and better manage them when they arise.

Overall, I hope you implement some of the above steps into your daily life, and they allow you to live more optimally.

Last edited:
Although I don't live with PTSD or cPTSD, my therapist recommended vagus nerve stimulation to help me deal with anxiety and depression (I'm diagnosed schizoaffective, bipolar type). She sent me this PDF on different ways the vagus nerve can be stimulated.

“By developing an understanding of the workings of your vagus nerve, you may find it possible to work with your nervous system rather than feel trapped when it works against you.” — Dr. Arielle Schwartz, Clinical Psychologist

Stimulating my vagus nerve has played a key role in the management of my mental health over the years.

It connects your brain to many important organs throughout the body, including the gut (intestines, stomach), heart and lungs.

In fact, the word "vagus" means “wanderer” in Latin, which accurately represents how the nerve wanders all over the body and reaches various organs.

The vagus nerve is also a key part of your parasympathetic “rest and digest” nervous system. It influences your breathing, digestive function and heart rate, all of which can have a huge impact on your mental health.

But what you really need to pay special attention to is the "tone" of your vagus nerve. Vagal tone is an internal biological process that represents the activity of the vagus nerve.

Increasing your vagal tone activates the parasympathetic nervous system, and having higher vagal tone means that your body can relax faster after stress.

In 2010, researchers discovered a positive feedback loop between high vagal tone, positive emotions, and good physical health. In other words, the more you increase your vagal tone, the more your physical and mental health will improve, and vice versa (5).

“The vagal response reduces stress. It reduces our heart rate and blood pressure. It changes the function of certain parts of the brain, stimulates digestion, all those things that happen when we are relaxed.” — Dr. Mladen Golubic, MD, Medical Director of the Cleveland Clinic

What’s interesting is that studies have even shown that vagal tone is passed on from mother to child. Mothers who are depressed, anxious and angry during their pregnancy have lower vagal activity. And once they give birth to their child, the newborn also has low vagal activity and low dopamine and serotonin levels (1-3). Your vagal tone can be measured by tracking certain biological processes such as your heart rate, your breathing rate, and your heart rate variability (HRV).

When your heart rate variability (HRV) is high, your vagal tone is also high. They are correlated with each other (53-55).

If you’re vagal tone is low, don’t worry - you can take steps to increase it by stimulating your vagus nerve. This will allow you to more effectively respond to the emotional and physiological symptoms of your brain and mental illness.

For people with treatment-resistant depression, the FDA has even approved a surgically-implanted device that periodically stimulates the vagus nerve. (6-9).

You can enjoy the benefits of vagus nerve stimulation naturally by following these steps.

1. Cold Exposure
Acute cold exposure has been shown to activate the vagus nerve and activate cholinergic neurons through vagus nerve pathways (10).

Researchers have also found that exposing yourself to cold on a regular basis can lower your sympathetic “fight or flight” response and increase parasympathetic activity through the vagus nerve (11).

I often take cold showers and go outside in cold temperatures with minimal clothing.

Try finishing your next shower with at least 30 seconds of cold water and see how you feel. Then work your way up to longer periods of time.

You can also ease yourself into it by simply sticking your face in ice-cold water.

It’s been shown to reduce anxiety and increase the parasympathetic system by activating the vagus nerve (51-52).

Most people take about 10 to 14 breaths each minute. Taking about 6 breaths over the course of a minute is a great way to relieve stress. You should breathe in deeply from your diaphragm. When you do this, your stomach should expand outward. Your exhale should be long and slow. This is key to stimulating the vagus nerve and reaching a state of relaxation.

The vagus nerve is connected to your vocal cords and the muscles at the back of your throat.

Singing, humming, chanting and gargling can activate these muscles and stimulate your vagus nerve.

I often gargle water before swallowing it. This is discussed more in Dr. Datis Kharrazian’s book, Why Isn’t My Brain Working?

4. Probiotics
It’s becoming increasingly clear to researchers that gut bacteria improve brain function by affecting the vagus nerve (27).

In one study, animals were given the probiotic Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, and researchers found positive changes to the GABA receptors in their brain, a reduction in stress hormones, and less depression and anxiety-like behaviour.

The researchers also concluded that these beneficial changes between the gut and the brain were facilitated by the vagus nerve. When the vagus nerve was removed in other mice, the addition of Lactobacillus Rhamnosus to their digestive systems failed to reduce anxiety, stress, and improve mood (25).

Another study found that the probiotic Bifidobacterium Longum normalized anxiety-like behavior in mice by acting through the vagus nerve (26).

5. Meditation
Meditation is my favourite relaxation technique and it can stimulate the vagus nerve and increase vagal tone.

Research shows that meditation increases vagal tone and positive emotions, and promotes feelings of goodwill towards yourself (22, 23). Another study found that meditation reduces sympathetic “fight or flight” activity and increases vagal modulation (21).

6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that your body cannot produce itself. They are found primarily in fish and are necessary for the normal electrical functioning of your brain and nervous system.

They often appear in most of my posts because they are so critical for brain and mental health and affect so many aspects of wellness. They’ve been shown to help people overcome addiction, repair a “leaky brain”, and even reverse cognitive decline.

But researchers have also discovered that omega-3 fatty acids increase vagal tone and vagal activity (35-37, 40). Studies shown that they reduce heart rate and increase heart rate variability, which means they likely stimulate the vagus nerve (34, 38, 39).

And high fish consumption is also associated with “enhanced vagal activity and parasympathetic predominance” (35).

7. Exercise
I’ve already discussed how exercise increases your brain’s growth hormone, supports your brain’s mitochondria, and helps reverse cognitive decline.

But it’s also been shown to stimulate the vagus nerve, which may explain its beneficial brain and mental health effects (28).

Many brain health experts recommend exercise as their number one piece of advice for optimal brain health.

Walking, weightlifting and sprinting are the best forms of exercise, but you should choose a sport or exercise routine that you enjoy, so that you will stick with it consistently.

8. Massage
Research shows that massages can stimulate the vagus nerve, and increase vagal activity and vagal tone (31-32).

The vagus nerve can also be stimulated by massaging several specific areas of the body.Foot massages (reflexology) have been shown to increase vagal modulation and heart rate variability, and decrease the “fight or flight” sympathetic response (29). Massaging the carotid sinus, an area located near the right side of your throat, can also stimulate the vagus nerve to reduce seizures (30).

I personally get a massage from a registered massage therapist every couple of months.

I’ve already discussed how socializing and laughing can reduce your body’s main stress hormone.

And now I’ve now that they are likely doing this by stimulating the vagus nerve.

Researchers have discovered that reflecting on positive social connections improves vagal tone and increases positive emotions (47, 48).

Laughter has been shown to increase heart-rate variability and improve mood (49). And vagus nerve stimulation often leads to laughter as a side effect, suggesting that they are connected and influence one another (50).

So my advice is to hang out and laugh with your friends as much as possible. Although I should probably be taking my own advice here, as I’m an introvert and often avoid socializing too much.

Conclusion
You don’t have to be controlled by your body and mind. You have the power to tell them what to do.

By stimulating the vagus nerve, you can send a message to your body that it’s time to relax and de-stress, which leads to long-term improvements in mood, wellbeing and resilience.

Increasing my vagal tone has allowed me to overcome anxiety and depression, and better manage them when they arise.

Overall, I hope you implement some of the above steps into your daily life, and they allow you to live more optimally.
I think I will just leave your block text here and not add it in as it's huge and detailed and we'll formatted on its own and I would loathe to fuck the formatting. Since this is still the front page and only a couple of posts down it definitely won't get lost and its size draws plenty of attention to it.

Definitely valuable information. Thank you for contributing despite not having this condition. I'm not excluding it from the main post for any other reason than the fact I think people will not miss it here

1. Cold Exposure

4. Probiotics

5. Meditation

6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids

7. Exercise

8. Massage

Conclusion

--- SOTS blocks, introduced to me by my naturopath are supposed to be positioned under you in a specific way to alter vagal tone. They have been a literal lifesaver to me and 5 minutes on them can pull me out of depersonalization/derealization and regulate my heart and breathing.