• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Complete Opiate Withdrawal: How Long?

Some guy's been using opiates on and off for about 5 years; everything from codeine, dihydrocodeine, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone, and poppy pod tea.
When speaking about withdrawal, most discussions do not delve further than the 72 hour, or 1 week mark. Some guy definitely does not feel magically better after 168 hours, rather he feels like still at 70%. I don't mean to sound like a puss, but I am interested in the complete duration of convalescence. I believe relapse occurs because one thinks he or she is finished WD-ing, and this is what normal feels like, and it ain't any good. But really, more time is required.

How long does it take for one to completely recover from opiate abuse? How long to 100%?

It depends, it could technically be over after 7 days but for some people it takes more time. Whether what you were using recently is or isn't a long acting medication. If you have gone through this before. First time is always the best imo/e.

You need to consider how will you cope with your emotions after this first week and if you have made plans. Everyone is different, your age, gender, why you chose opiates, etc. All of these details counts because after 3-4 days we'll be suffering and feeling sad, alone for most of us craving will be a problem. Do you have support? a doctor that you can go to? a close friend?

All I can say based on a lot of factors is that coming off of opiates is something completely doable and that usually takes one week, physically speaking. If you start to eat better, go to meetings and/or after some sort of support, exercise regularly and learn to cope with your cravings you'll be fine. But keep in mind that quitting is easier than staying sober.

If you have been using opiates for a long time and are used not to feel life as other people do, things tend to get a bit tough emotionally speaking and you'll need to find ways to cope with your 'new' self, accepting limits - changing your lifestyle and very importantly - finding that one thing that makes you happy! For some it's music, movies or simply being able to go out and making new friends, others will have problems in socializing. Don't over think about these issues now. All you have to do now is to focus on your daily recovery. I'm sure you can do this. If I could you certainly can. Besides, we are much stronger than we think. After having gone through all the difficulties of an addiction you'll be surprised to see how much you can take.

I wish you good luck!! Take small steps and remember that it's all about today. You can do whatever you set your mind to. And you are almost there!
Take care.
Erik