• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Comorbid Bipolar and Heroin Addiction

HJQuinzel

Greenlighter
I have been trying to get off the heroin with suboxone the last few weeks and have been unsuccessful. I have bipolar disorder and suffer from very painful fibromyalgia. During withdrawals the pain is unbearable, tried temgesic, neurofen, tramadol for the pain but nothing works, and my depression becomes so severe I become almost a different person, hitting myself, bashing my head into things and crying constantly. I also cannot sleep due to the pain. My doctor has prescribed dopaquel, azors, benzos and zopliclone at various times, but none of this has worked and I end up relapsing everytime. Honestly don't know what to do anymore and I so desperately want to get clean. I don't have insurance and have been agoraphobic for the last few years, so getting admitted into a rehab centre is a no-no.
Kratom has been mentioned a few times on this site, and people mentioned pain relief, improved mood and the ability to sleep. Would this be a good option as a last resort? If anyone can share their experiences with me or suggest a better way for me to get through the withdrawals, I would be eternally grateful. I'm tired and I can't do this anymore.

I have been trying to get off the heroin with suboxone the last few weeks and have been unsuccessful. I have bipolar disorder and suffer from very painful fibromyalgia. During withdrawals the pain is unbearable, tried temgesic, neurofen, tramadol for the pain but nothing works, and my depression becomes so severe I become almost a different person, hitting myself, bashing my head into things and crying constantly. I also cannot sleep due to the pain. My doctor has prescribed dopaquel, azors, benzos and zopliclone at various times, but none of this has worked and I end up relapsing everytime. Honestly don't know what to do anymore and I so desperately want to get clean. I don't have insurance and have been agoraphobic for the last few years, so getting admitted into a rehab centre is a no-no.
Kratom has been mentioned a few times on this site, and people mentioned pain relief, improved mood and the ability to sleep. Would this be a good option as a last resort? If anyone can share their experiences with me or suggest a better way for me to get through the withdrawals, I would be eternally grateful. I'm tired and I can't do this anymore.
I’ll tell you my story. I was taking 5-7.5mg oxycodone 3 times daily, I’ve transitioned back to kratom for a financial sake. It won’t be a cure all for you. You’re also trading addictions with the heroin/sub or heroin/kratom. Albeit the latter of both of those, is probably safer for you. My suggestion would be talk to your doctor. Or psych. Get to the root cause of your use. Is it a physical emotional pain? I wouldn’t recommend you supplementing anything but could kratom cbd and thc help? It could be a possible ave. But with today’s heroin you’d about be better off on anything else except for fentanyl

I will say, depends on the kratom potency. Don’t get to wrapped up in “strains” it’s either white green or red kratom. And each of those is just a different maturity in the plant. But does whites give me energy yes does it keep the shits at bay. Yes. Do I get high off it? Not really and you gotta think I was on a small dose of oxy compared to heroin that’s like beer and liquor.

There are many people who use kratom to taper and maintain. It works for a lot of people for sure. Don't expect it to get you high, or to be anything like as potent as bupe, but it aids people in quitting habits.

The willpower is the thing though. It will not block out withdrawals and is unlikely to totally kill cravings, it only helps. It is certainly worth trying, just know it is not a magic bullet.

Gabapentin+loperamide+clonidine Is the only way i can make it past day 3 these days.
I would second that, if you truly want off. Make a strive for getting off everything. To be fair, kratom will just make you want heroin that much more when the kratom stops working, if it even works for you at all. I would say though those subs. Are equally wasting your time. If it helped people stay clean others wouldn’t go back to heroin

I’ll tell you my story. I was taking 5-7.5mg oxycodone 3 times daily, I’ve transitioned back to kratom for a financial sake. It won’t be a cure all for you. You’re also trading addictions with the heroin/sub or heroin/kratom. Albeit the latter of both of those, is probably safer for you. My suggestion would be talk to your doctor. Or psych. Get to the root cause of your use. Is it a physical emotional pain? I wouldn’t recommend you supplementing anything but could kratom cbd and thc help? It could be a possible ave. But with today’s heroin you’d about be better off on anything else except for fentanyl
Thank you. I'm only intending on using kratom (or whatever works) for the 7 days of the initial withdrawal. Then I can begin dealing with my PTSD and other issues. The hard part is getting through the physical withdrawal and the pain and depression that is exacerbated by it.

Thank you. I'm only intending on using kratom (or whatever works) for the 7 days of the initial withdrawal. Then I can begin dealing with my PTSD and other issues. The hard part is getting through the physical withdrawal and the pain and depression that is exacerbated by it.
You’ve got that right. I initially began my opiate use out of a real physical necessity and I believe I was only dependent on it. But I saw my self slowly moving my doses up and more frequent and it wasn’t for physical symptoms anymore only emotional. Generally 3 days will be your worst time. My suggestion with kratom would still be taking it as if you’re a beginner. 3.0 grams. Dried leaf mixed with either milk or coffee. I find coffee and creamer help a lot, but I like the bitter taste of kratom. Just not the texture. You’ll also wanna make sure you drink it in some warm liquid. Cool liquids will be ok, but heated liquid. Not boiling though, will release a lot more alkaloids. Personally and I know I said don’t get hung up on “strains” but I would seek out a red Bali. Since your DOC was heroin. It would be the most sedative opiate like. Stay with the reds if you can whites are mostly energy based. Some greens too. But red Bali would be your best bet.

There are many people who use kratom to taper and maintain. It works for a lot of people for sure. Don't expect it to get you high, or to be anything like as potent as bupe, but it aids people in quitting habits.

The willpower is the thing though. It will not block out withdrawals and is unlikely to totally kill cravings, it only helps. It is certainly worth trying, just know it is not a magic bullet.
I don't care about getting high, only about not being driven insane by the pain and being afraid I'll hurt myself. If kratom is weaker than subs, then it's no use. Subs worked great when I was younger and didn't have all the issues and fibro that I have today. Before all I had to do was take subs for 3-4 days and the physical withdrawal was done. Now that I'm older I can't even make it to day 2 without engaging in self-harming behaviour. The pain added to the depression are seriously bad, I'm scared of what I'll do every time I try to detox.

We can’t really source or link stuff here. But I always like a good pm.

I don't care about getting high, only about not being driven insane by the pain and being afraid I'll hurt myself. If kratom is weaker than subs, then it's no use. Subs worked great when I was younger and didn't have all the issues and fibro that I have today. Before all I had to do was take subs for 3-4 days and the physical withdrawal was done. Now that I'm older I can't even make it to day 2 without engaging in self-harming behaviour. The pain added to the depression are seriously bad, I'm scared of what I'll do every time I try to detox.
Try to take this one day at a time.. you didn’t get to this point over night, you won’t solve it overnight. But the fact that your taking a step towards recovery speaks volumes about your will power and character.

If you are that worried you may hurt yourself. My suggestion would be try to get yourself into a detox. You need some accountability (we all do!) but perhaps that may help you in a way that you can focus on your recovery. And again we can’t really give you medical advice as I’m the furthest thing from a doctor. But we all can be here for you, and help guide you. But if your serious with quitting. I’d stay on subs, until you call around and see if you can get a bed during this lockdown. If you can’t try to maintain on the subs and stay away from the H. H is bad enough as it is. But I would say 99% of it had fentanyl cut and that scares me worse for you. I’m also not sure of the bupr kratom combination. Is it safe? You’ll want something to keep you level headed.. and my advice hearing all this is with the world the way it is right now, I wouldn’t do anything to drastic or you’ll be back to square one before you know it. Try to find a bed, or get in touch with your psych and ask him/her their opinion on what you should do

Yeah given the extra mental health concerns on you here, I doubt kratom alone is going to be the fix you are after, especially with the fibro on top because kratom isn't a strong analgesic. You definitely want to keep any attempts to quit medically supervised given those complications.

If you are that worried you may hurt yourself. My suggestion would be try to get yourself into a detox. You need some accountability (we all do!) but perhaps that may help you in a way that you can focus on your recovery. And again we can’t really give you medical advice as I’m the furthest thing from a doctor. But we all can be here for you, and help guide you. But if your serious with quitting. I’d stay on subs, until you call around and see if you can get a bed during this lockdown. If you can’t try to maintain on the subs and stay away from the H. H is bad enough as it is. But I would say 99% of it had fentanyl cut and that scares me worse for you. I’m also not sure of the bupr kratom combination. Is it safe? You’ll want something to keep you level headed.. and my advice hearing all this is with the world the way it is right now, I wouldn’t do anything to drastic or you’ll be back to square one before you know it. Try to find a bed, or get in touch with your psych and ask him/her their opinion on what you should do
As I mentioned, I'm agoraphobic, no insurance and even if going outdoors was an option, there aren't any places I could go that I could afford. I don't have a psych either, just a doctor that has been kind enough to take me on as a charity case. I'm from South Africa, and you're more likely to die from our public healthcare. Just look up 'Life Esidemi' and how patients were sent to their deaths.
Staying on subs is impossible as I'm not able to get through the pain and depression. I'm not being a sissy, I live with pain daily and am accustomed to it, but the pain during withdrawals is too much to bare. Combined with the depression and lack of sleep, it's more than a living hell.

As I mentioned, I'm agoraphobic, no insurance and even if going outdoors was an option, there aren't any places I could go that I could afford. I don't have a psych either, just a doctor that has been kind enough to take me on as a charity case. I'm from South Africa, and you're more likely to die from our public healthcare. Just look up 'Life Esidemi' and how patients were sent to their deaths.
Staying on subs is impossible as I'm not able to get through the pain and depression. I'm not being a sissy, I live with pain daily and am accustomed to it, but the pain during withdrawals is too much to bare. Combined with the depression and lack of sleep, it's more than a living hell.
Yeah I don’t know much about the healthcare system in other countries and no one thinks your a sissy we are all just telling you straight. What concerns everyone most would be you wanting to self harm. Which I’ve done in my past... but quitting and a self harm behavior is a tough one. And I can’t morally give you guidance knowing I’m not a doctor. Kratom can cause more of a problem if you have underlying mental health issues. Especially since it works not only on opiate receptors but also serotonin and dopa receptors There’s too much at play for me to consciously tell you that kratom COULD help

If kratom is weaker than subs, then it's no use.
Do not underestimate this plant.
It does a hell of a lot more than offer relief from opioid WDs.
Personally I use it for pain relief, as a benzo alternative, as a dietary aid re: fiber, as a mood booster, as a coffee alternative or addition (cannot drink coffee without kratom too fuckin high-strung) and a slew of other reasons. Have been using it for about 3 yrs and I find it helps against WDs from many substance.
Been "off" H, fent, oxys, roxys, dilaudid and most other opioids for ~3 years thanks to kratom. Not saying I do not use but am saying if I use it is a choice and an option... no compelling mindset to seek out anything stronger any more.
The biggest aid in recovery I find is the self-control, willingness to be open about usage and open to suggestions... wish I woulda took others suggestions decades ago prolly wouldn't be where I am but then aain I am exactly where I need to be, at the moment.
Kratom may not work for you... it is like all substances- dependent on individual and dosage.
Just a tool... nothing else.
Beats the hell outta sourcing H (an example) and winding up with fent and the likelyhood of accidental death is exponentiated.
The mind is very resilient and powerful: Use it to get done what one will. If the mind is not on board it will complicate matters and possibly prolong the recovery.
This is all opinions from decades of use/abuse and may have no grounding in the field of medicine... just opinions.
Be back to check on this.
Love always,
Ptah
... but the pain during withdrawals is too much to bare. Combined with the depression and lack of sleep, it's more than a living hell.
There are ways/tools to deal with most of this.

Thanks to everyone who replied, but now I see that it's all useless. I've tried so hard to get through this, but nothing helps. I really wanted to live. I really wanted a life. I tried so hard but it's useless. I hadn't self-harmed in over ten years but the withdrawals make me crazy, and I've done as much as I can to get through it but I'm tired. Thought kratom might be my last chance, but I can't handle another disappointment. I'm crying so much now and I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks to everyone who replied, but now I see that it's all useless. I've tried so hard to get through this, but nothing helps. I really wanted to live. I really wanted a life. I tried so hard but it's useless. I hadn't self-harmed in over ten years but the withdrawals make me crazy, and I've done as much as I can to get through it but I'm tired. Thought kratom might be my last chance, but I can't handle another disappointment. I'm crying so much now and I don't know what to do anymore.
Woooow, csreful with that. Kratom Is a really potent drug, it Will help you get Through this. Dont beat yourself up that much, i Know what you're going through.udk how many times i wanted a gun in front of me during wds to shoot myself in the head AND end all suffering. But you Know what, if i survived so much shit during my life, i wasn't gonna Let this stupid drug defeat me. I'm currently wding too, Trust me those irrational thoughts Will pass.you have to be strong,i send u a hug my fríend.

You haven't even tried it yet, too early to say "nothing helps" isn't it?

It's a shame you live in a country with poor healthcare, in that case absolutely do try kratom because it is much much better than giving up.