• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

COMMUNITY PROJECT - Creating an "effects profile" for psychedelics

Okay, I've created a final mock-up version, here. I went through all the lists and made some edit/additions/removals/rearrangements. Please, anyone who wants to help, go in there and let me know what you would want to change. Any additions or removals from any sections? I'm pretty sure the side effects sections are not done, but I ran out of time just now so I didn't change those. The idea here is to try to make sure every type of effects is described.

Also, the last question is one that gives a notice not to complete the survey. When you get to that question, just exit out. Otherwise I won't be able to edit this version anymore.

Also, please note this is not the final version so there's no sense in spending 10 or 20 minutes answering everything completely truthfully because these results will not be kept. This is just for designing the survey.

Wow. Three cheers for Xorkoth! :D That is really great.

I have some input:

I think there should be a "Set & Setting" section with questions like:

How many people was this trip shared with? Solo, 1, 2, 3, 4....

What physical or social situation was it taken in: Nature, party, quiet night at home, if you live with your parents were they home at the time? (Maybe a text box for a better description)

What time of day was it taken? Morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night?

How were you feeling when you took it? Tired, energetic, comfortable, anxious, depressed?

Were there any psychological or emotional issues? Please describe if you want to.

Many of these should probably have text boxes of course. I just feel that a lot of the physical, sensory and/or psychological effects of the material are greatly dependant on these factors and they should be included somewhere. :)

EDIT: Maybe at the end have a section asking: Did you feel different after having this experience? Any revelations or epiphanies? Do you feel anxious and depressed or happy and fulfilled? Please describe any differences or after-effects.

This looks fantastic, Xorkoth! Just one thing springs to my mind at the moment: there's a distinct underrepresentation of auditory effects in the current version. Of course, vision is dominant in most humans and (perhaps, via various causal pathways, because of this) in most psychedelic experience; but I do feel that audition needs a slightly larger part in this survey. At the moment, as far as I can see, there are just 2 (or 3, if you count the synaesthesia one) questions on audition, namely:

"Auditive augmentation (The ability to hear more clearly/sharply)"
"Increase in ability to sense the direction of sounds"
"Synaesthesia (the blending of senses, ie, hearing colors, seeing sounds)"

It would, thus, not cover the primary sensory effects of DiPT, for instance (auditory distortion; specifically, key-change, deepening, altered consonance/dissonance, etc), nor would it cover the auditory hallucinations experienced on both DiPT and other substances (certainly LSD and 2C-C have not been without auditory hallucinations for me) which could have a single item to themselves or could, like the closed-eye visuals, have several items for their various possible forms, e.g. pure rhythm, short bleeps, sustained series of tones, harmonized tones, etc).

To be fair, audition may be overrepresented in my mind; but maybe somewhere between how much is in the survey now, and my ideal?

Oh, I suppose one might say that synaesthesia is underrepresented, with only one question. How about asking people to specify the type; or, perhaps better, have a separate question for each known variant of synaesthesia (e.g. grapheme-colour synaesthesia, sound-vision synaesthesia etc).

Anyway, jolly good work! With a decent sample-size, this could produce fascinating results, both for the purposes of just mapping out psychedelia-space and also potentially for mapping the relationships between chemical structure and psychedelia-space. I very much look forward to seeing the results of this research.

ETA: Oh, and I echo uniter's suggestion of set and setting covariates. Although a sufficient sample size will probably average out some effects of set and setting, it won't average out those variations in set and setting that are correlated with the drug taken (e.g. expectations from the drug, preferred uses of it), so having set and setting as measured covariates should allow you to control for them statistically in any analyses.

ETA: Sorry, another idea! A more standard approach in psychological questionnaires is to have neutral questions, with a scale ranging from extreme disagreement to extreme agreement; rather than, as here, ranging from slight agreement to extreme agreement (with one option for no agreement), which could be taken as rather leading. One could, for instance, have 'Did you experience changes in the clarity of your speech? Much less clear... less clear... neither more nor less clear ... more clear .... much more clear'; rather than 'Slurring of speech? Have not experienced... lightly experienced...' etc. It would also allow you to place some items (mood lift, mood drop) within one scale, although you may not want to do that, I suppose, because something may produce both!

Not sure how sensible or needed this idea is, but I thought I'd throw it out while I had it. :)

ETA: Oh, and I can't see an item on tremors (vibrating/shaking, like the jitters commonly reported on 4-HO-DiPT, but also experienced on others (e.g., for me, 2C-C and DiPT)). Perhaps stimulation should (also?) be broken down into cognitive, peripheral, and motor stimulation?

Also, various other senses are wholly missing (unless I've just missed them). Proprioception (body position sense, reportedly altered on 2C-B, particularly); thermoreception (i.e. perceived heat and coldness, distinct from actual changes in body temperature; I've certainly experienced implausibly hot and cold moments on various psychedelics); vestibular (sense of orientation/gravity) etc.

ETA: A few (actually, many! I hope this is okay, I just wanted to go through the questionnaire systematically and give as much detailed feedback as I could; feel free to ignore!) more random thoughts:

It'd be useful if there could be some way of recording which trip questionnaires come from the same participant (for the purposes of analysis, this would be a great boon, as it would allow one to partial out - to an extent - the effects of individual differences and examine more clearly the effects of drug; it would also, of course, allow one to explore individual differences more explicitly). Of course, one wouldn't want to record anything that would identify the participants, but one could - for instance - have the participant select a response to a 'Are you a returning participant with an ID number?' question, and if they were not, the questionnaire would give them a randomly generated 6 digit number string to use as ID in future.

Q2: How clear is it, for the case of - say - cactus, what information you're after here? Will people say how many milligrams of cactus they took, how many grams of cactus they took, or how many suspected milligrams of mescaline within the cactus they took? Perhaps this could be worded more clearly.

Q7->: I find the imposed division between wanted and unwanted effects curious. Q14's 'Intensified perception of bodily functions' seems by no means obviously unwanted. Wouldn't it be better, rather than telling participants which effects they wanted and which they didn't want, to ask them, for each item, a subsidiary question 'How did you feel about this part of the effects?' 'Would much rather it didn't happen....... neutral .... Am very glad it happened'? Or just to leave that out entirely?

Q7: Minor typo: "Unrelated miscellandous hallucinations"

QQ7, 8, 10-15: In these questions, you use the phrase 'this substance', while in Q9 you say 'this experience'. I think, for clarity, all Qs should use Q9's phrasing, to reduce the chance that people will forget/miss the statement 'For the remainder of the survey, please describe only effects that you experienced on this individual trip you are taking the survey about.'

Q8: I'm not really clear what 'Hallucination of witnessing actual bodily functions' means at all... can this be rephrased?

Q8: Also, I wonder if there's anyway of capturing movement more in this section; when I have CEVs (typically not on psychedelics; rather on MDMC and cannabinoids/cannabis), they are sometimes relatively static, but often quite dynamic in all sorts of interesting ways. The patterns may, for instance, zoom in and out, or may rotate; they may shift with one's eyes, or be fixed in a location of real space. In terms of obtaining data that could speak to which parts of the brain drugs are more or less expressed in, it could be really useful to have information on the degree and nature of any movement in visuals, since many of the areas of the visual cortex are specialized for various sorts of motion processing.

Q10: I've certainly found auditory diminution as well as auditory augmentation on occasions; a couple of leading questions in here.

Q11: Okay, a lot of leading questions in here. I guess this style of questioning is similar to symptom questionnaires in medicine; but in that case, one is aiming to err on the side of detection of known symptoms (i.e. make more false positives than misses), whereas I would guess one might be wanting to try to avoid erring systematically on either side of a given question when the space one is mapping out is barely (rigorously) mapped at all yet. So, for instance, it should be as easy for a participant to register a decrease in creative thinking or introspection as an increase.

Q11: Some phrases here might not be meaningful to all participants. One item "Glossolalia (speaking in tongues)" requires knowledge either of psychiatrc or religious terminology; perhaps "Speaking an unknown language" would be clearer? Not sure about "entity contact" either.

Q13: I'd really like more detailed division of increase and decrease of energy. Psychedelics users often speak of having 'a lot of energy', or conversely a substance being 'stoney', but I feel these terms are ill-defined; or at least I don't have a very clear sense of what they refer to: often, for me, a substance both increases and decreases energy in various different ways. So... 'Did heart rate change? 'Much slower .... Much faster'; 'Did involuntary motor activity change?' 'Much less involuntary movement.... Much more'; 'Did your inclination to be physically active change?' 'Much less inclined... much more inclined'; 'Did your mental alertness change?' 'Much less alert... much more alert'.

Q15: You list 'increase in blood pressure'. As far as I'm aware, people are typically unable to judge blood pressure; it's not something one can perceive directly, usually. Various other symptoms that are not directly related to blood pressure get misreported as changes in blood pressure. Of course, if people have a sphygmometer, they can measure it; but I'd guess that most of the responses to this question will be fairly unhelpful guesses. Strange that you require the pulse to be confirmed, when this is (time-distortion aside!) rather more easy to judge than blood pressure.

Q15: Might be worth defining 'brain zaps'. Anyone who's had them will doubtless immediately know what you mean, but anyone who hasn't may be a bit confused.

Thanks again, Xorkoth for taking the time and effort to produce this questionnaire; it'd be fine as it stands - these are all fairly minor quibbles. :)

ETA: Also, I wonder if it's needed to exclude cases where multiple psychedelics were taken; why not just ask people to note in text box any additional drugs and quantities thereof taken; if there aren't enough combo reports to analyze effectively, discard that data: you lose nothing by collecting it. :)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the input. :) I like the idea about a set & setting section. That way, when viewing the results, people could choose to either see the total, aggregated results, or they could apply filters to see, for example, how people who took it in a good mindset while camping with trusted friends rated it.

I started writing this response like 6 hours ago and forgot to post it, as work took me somewhere else. I'll respond more to this whole post later.

Of note while I'm thinking about it, I like the idea of a respondent ID number for returning respondents, but the free online survey framework doesn't allow stuff that complex. I could easily design that sort of thing with the software I use at work for designing surveys, but obviously I can't do that.

Stumbled upon this:

Rhodium Archive link

It's around in other threads as well but if you ask me mandatory reading for this project.

I'd <3 to help but have had a shitstorm going on I suppose - if I can I will...

LSD- Beautiful.

Hope that helps :>

Just re-reading it, I hope nobody thinks of this as spam, as at the time I was sort of high and thought it was helpful

Last edited:
Yeah Rhodium is the shiz-nit :) I hope it comes back some day.

That's an awsome article you have linked there. :)

Edit: Cracked the 9, on the home stretch to the 4 digits.

Wow Guys!! Holy hell. This stuff is *amazing*. I'm still really brand new here - but I'm older than most BlueLighters, so I have a bit more of an in-depth perception on things, and given my experience - my thoughts can be a lot more specific than general posts by those in the early days of their journeys.

I only just found this thread now, so I'm going to have to do a lot of backtracking to catch up - but I just wanted to say that this is way cool. I am very used to only being exposed to my own thoughts (the higher, the fewer) - and while I would say that I am very experienced and very refined and focused - it's just amazing to be exposed to the thoughts of others who are not just taking a dip in the pool.

This is truly amazing.
Thanks for existing.

LSD- Beautiful.

so true

LSD is like beautiful woman. Treat her right, in the right setting, mixed with the right things, and you'll have an amazing experience and see some beautiful things, but treat her wrong, abuse her, and she'll turn on you....but either way, she'll definitely teach you something

edit:: love that Rhodium link

Last edited:
i am very happy i came along this post bc i just dropped 2 hits of the same acid with my ex last month...each of us took 2 hits....and we had the same exact trip...its like we were both tripping through the same body...we were chilling in a car and both ducked at the same time bc we though we saw headlights..and nothing...then again about a minute later...then the third time the other 2 poeple in the car ducked and yelled at us for not ducking...we though we were just seeing headlights that werent there...then the headlights came back and the car turned....we saw this happen before it actually happened...and we BOTH saw it exactly the same way...we were walking and both randomly stumbled at the same exact times...over and over...i had someone else drive and it felt like the car was randomly swerving to the right...and we both reacted to it each time at the same moment...but a quick glance at the road showed we werent swerving...we both saw things with a very colorful filter over it....and described what we saw exactly the same way.....now this is how i see it after that experience...and a quistionably shroom trip....i see it as if its the same batch and you have both eaten the same and are in a same state of mind...works well with couples as long as your open with eachother...we would literally talk about everything and always had the same things on our minds...so that more than likely affected it...but i think the visuals are mainly the batch

Overall, I see the idea and definite use of it- but its just out of the bounds of safe drug use and harm reduction. And the subjectivity of psychedelics makes this that much harder. There is no way to ever prove that people experience the same effects from the same substance, as everyone has different metabolsim-rates and biochemistry. Ever heard of people that can't seem to trip on LSD?.....Anyway, I'd be interested in any other responses.

Psychedelics and love and music are all one. Actually everything is all the same thing. Music is love and I love music and I love you all.

Let's get this thread alive again!! I just now took the survey on 3 different substances and I'm sure they all had a very different profile (Psilocybin, LSD, DXM) in relation to each other. Maybe when enough data is gathered someone could take the test not to add effects but to see what the survey's guess of the substance would be based on what you experienced. Like for instance lets say i took a random capsule of white powder and entered in the data as accurately as it fits me. After the test a page would come up that has probabilites like 2c-e - 55%, 2ct-7 - 30%, DOC - 15%. I also just realized an importance dimension that's not on the survey.....duration! Just on the above example it could eliminate DOC, or eliminate the 2C's and add LSD etc. Maybe also certain dimensions could "weigh" more on the answer, such as duration would be an important factor that could eliminate possibilites where the chemical almost never last longer...or shorter (4-6hr opposed to 10-16hr). Hope this comes back to life.

I got to check if I still have that survey somewhere if we wanna continue with that. :)

Why not include the "sense of epiphany / great personal realization" on the psycological effects ?

I think it could be interesting to see how many people are "really getting there" :p

OKAY!

I FINALLY got the FINALIZED version of the survey up and running. PLEASE take the survey and follow the instructions... you can take it once for each substance you've done. As it says on the intro pages, please think of a single trip when you take the survey, one in which you took only that single substance (no combinations, as they will screw with the data).

Thanks for participating! Also please let others know because we want to collect as many responses as possible! When we get a lot for a substance, we will start to see some meaningful data and trends.

Also, please note I am paying a monthly fee to host this... while it is not breaking the bank, it is an expense, so if you have a couple of dollars or even cents to spare, and a Paypal account, I will gladly accept donations from Paypal... if you'd like to make one, please send the money to:

[email protected]

And without further ado, here is the survey link:

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=hvw6fx9mmvzz82l599169

Please note that the survey is quite long, so I'd love it if you took it for each psychedelic you've used by itself, but you may want to only take it once or twice at a time to avoid feeling burned out. :)