• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Coming out to my mom that I smoke weed...

Redman42

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, first thing is I hope this is in the correct forum. I'm 16 and have been smoking on and off for the past year. It's never become a problem and I and leading a very happy/successful life for a teenager. However my mom is now getting suspicious about my drug habits and I am thinking of just admitting it to her. I like to think of myself as an honest person who wouldnt keep secrets. She has a very neutral viewpoint of pot, and thinks it should be regulated like alcohol. I just think it would be better for me to tell her than for her just to find out some other way. What are you guy's opinion?

Usually most times this kind of thing backfires.

If she is sus about you maybe reveal its cigarettes (even though it isn't just to throw her off the trail)

Test the waters first. Ask questions about how she would feel in certain situations, like say if you went to a party, got wasted, so did your ride, how would she feel about you calling her for a safe ride home? What if people were smoking weed at the party, would she still come? ....What if YOU were smoking weed, how would she feel?

Something along those lines. That way, if the conversation starts heading in a direction you don't want it to go, you can end it before you get too far ahead of yourself and blurt out "well hey, I get smacked like every weekend, mom."

I dunno, that's just how I went about it. Took baby steps, but really, though, my folks already knew. I was a fool to think they didn't.

Tell her she will be more mad about the lies than the fact her son is a pothead.
At least my mom got madder about the fact I stole her good coffee beans to hide the smell of my Oz and about all the times I lied to her and said I didn't smoke that it was just my friend who smoked before coming over or blah blah blah.

The truth will set you fee I even started blazing with my mom when she found out but I wish I told her instead of her rooting through my bag and finding an ounce of purple kush and her coffee beans lol

^
Same for me. It's been many years since I told them. They are still hugely opposed to it, but seem to realize I am not ruining my life with it. And they're glad I'm not a huge alcohol fan because I smoke. Added to that is the fact I don't have to lie about it anymore or hide it, which caused massive tensions at home from time to time. For me it was an instant weight of my shoulders. I used to hate the sneaking around. Sometimes my mom would start a small argument over it out of the blue after I told her. She would also randomly leave articles lying around 'by accident' with some negative consequences of weed marked in color. She still does this sometimes when she visits me =D I actually kind of love her for doing that

YMMV of course

I know this is likely to fall on deaf ears, but there is substantial evidence that marijuana is not good for a developing mind. You might want to limit your use of it as much as you can until your mid 20s.

If your mom thinks weed should be regulated like alcohol, I'd say she's probably not gonna flip out completely, but I highly doubt she'll sign off on you continuing to use it. Keep the potential consequences in mind before telling her (being totally forbidden from using, for example). Even if she's extremely open minded about weed, she has good reason to want you to stop using at that age. Beside what I mentioned above it's a legal risk that could really fuck up your future.

For context, this is coming from a guy who loves weed and uses it all the time. But I'm 29, I only vape and use edibles, and I don't drive on it or put myself in risky situations. I think weed is one of the best substances on earth, but it definitely has real drawbacks when you're 16.

Well,u know your mom best so how the hell would we know how she reacts could be any number of ways.i didnt start smokin till i was older like 20 so my mom couldnt say shit. she TRUST my judgement and its my life.but she will prob be most concerned with u moving on to harder drugs since in The media its portrayed as a "gateway"drug :|

Id say tell her.at least u wont be stressing about it and can come home and enjoy your high and not be paranoid about her finding out

I think for the time being I'm not going to mention it to her. I mean its like a twice monthly thing for me, and it's always with friends, never like at my house or anything. Basically I just want to be a little older and more self sufficient before she finds out, so that there isn't really anything she could do about it.

She probably already knows.

I think most reasonable adults that are pro-pot for lack of a better term would be against a child as young as 16 smoking cannabis.

tell her you smoke weed after you bring home a report card with a GPA over 3.0 and see how much she can really say

my dad knew I smoked weed in high school but he also knew I killed it at work.

it's all about what else you bring to the table, anyone can smoke weed

Probably not a good idea because your 16. Unfortunately no matter how successful and whatever you are no one wants to hear their child is doing drugs. I see this as a bad idea, and then you will deal with her always knowing or suspecting you. Ask yourself is it worth blowing up your spot over? Once you say it you can not take it back and must deal with the outcome good or bad