View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Coming back from a bad trip

sail_hatan

Greenlighter
I started using psychedelics in late high school and did them for a few years. One time, had a really scary acid trip which has made me scared to take a full trip again. Have done some small mushroom trips etc, but not a proper dose ince. This was many years ago, and i feel I am older and wiser, but cant shake the anxiety of being overwhelmed, which makes me worry that i will carry that anxiety into a trip.
Advice on getting back on the horse?

I suggest some xanax few hrs before dosing maybe 2 -4 mg it seems like hi dose but it will totally cure any anxiety associated with the trip no sweaty palms no worries all enjoyment trust me never take phyadelics without it for that reason if I don't have both I'm set

I can't really recommended what @Demondanny said, any pharmacological aid in this department is only a band-aid, you have to approach the anxiety from the bottom-up and really face your subconscious.
I second this. I personally do not believe in “bad trips”. Some times “bad trips” are the best trips. I experience the most growth and face things that needed facing. Truths that I could not see without side stepping my ego.

I call bad trips, difficult trips. I just really don’t believe in bad trips. Having someone to help integrate the trip with helps a lot though. Someone you trust. Could be a therapist or a trusted friend or even people on bluelight.

I’d say if you’re going to trip be aware the possibility that you may have a difficult trip but face that fear and tell them to bring it on!

I did a lot of acid when I was a teen, too much too soon, I m sure he thing left some scars. If I was in you I will leave acid alone and enjoy mushrooms or maybe give a try to ayahuasca if you are in a proper setting with the proper people (i.e.people or shamans u trust if u are into this kind of thing). Personally nowadays I m more an opioid-cocaine kind of person myself but Lots of people I know had very intense and positive life changing experience with ayahuasca.

I suggest some xanax few hrs before dosing maybe 2 -4 mg it seems like hi dose but it will totally cure any anxiety associated with the trip no sweaty palms no worries all enjoyment trust me never take phyadelics without it for that reason if I don't have both I'm set
This is terrible advice. 2-4mg of Xanax for a non tolerant person would put them on their ass, diminish the trip, and basically make the experience nothing at all. A fucking waste.

I started using psychedelics in late high school and did them for a few years. One time, had a really scary acid trip which has made me scared to take a full trip again. Have done some small mushroom trips etc, but not a proper dose ince. This was many years ago, and i feel I am older and wiser, but cant shake the anxiety of being overwhelmed, which makes me worry that i will carry that anxiety into a trip.
Best way to overcome the fear is to try it again. You fall down, you get back up, think about why you fell, and try again. Set and setting matter immensely focusing on that will have a positive impact on your experience.

Have a little faith in yourself OP. Let's face it, anyone that has taken acid or mushrooms had to have some faith or they never would ingest it. Bad trips happen. I look at it like when I drive through a city, get lost and go through bad neighborhood. Eventually better terrain comes about.

I also think bad trips happen way way less than good ones. Or else people would not do it as much.

Yes the 2--4 mgs of xanax before the trip, while well meaning I am sure, is really not the right approach. Because if it was I'd say don't forget the heroin either, or the bottle of whiskey. you know? Where does it end? If I took that much xanax I would not trip. Only someone that takes daily doses of benzos have probably pushed past side effects to feel a trip. It can really stunt a trip for someone that takes it randomly. Now at the very end a small dose might help with sleep.

Also Ismene makes a good point. Start slow. I am sure some surfers were intimidated by the ocean until they started slow, practiced and became comfortable. You do not need to forever have anxiety about a trip. And honestly if it were me that had anxiety something would happen in the trip to make me laugh past it that it would be a non issue.

So if a calling to get back on the horse is there then maybe psychedelics can be a tool for you. They are not for everyone though. But I would be willing to be they can help a person having a calling back to them and be used for growth.

I second this. I personally do not believe in “bad trips”. Some times “bad trips” are the best trips. I experience the most growth and face things that needed facing. Truths that I could not see without side stepping my ego.

I call bad trips, difficult trips. I just really don’t believe in bad trips. Having someone to help integrate the trip with helps a lot though. Someone you trust. Could be a therapist or a trusted friend or even people on bluelight.

I’d say if you’re going to trip be aware the possibility that you may have a difficult trip but face that fear and tell them to bring it on!
well i think there are definitively bad trips, sure perhaps one can often learn from there but i think travelling the psychedelic path with the idea that all trips are good trips is dangerous, i don't think difficult trips are what people generally mean with bad trips, there's difficult in the sense that hard exercise or a math problem is difficult, and then there's bad like getting shot in the pancreas. If you don't believe in bad trips, consider yourself lucky.

Make sure your set and setting are good and then just do it! Chill out and use a low dose, like 50 or 100 mics.

I only had very few trips I would call a bad trip, all being medium dose of shrooms or 4-aco-DMT in wrong set and setting while I had great experiences with those two in big doses but certainly can imagine many of what could be called a really difficult experiences on really high doses or combos of various psychedelics, that all in all were for me positive would be considered horror trips by most people and have also witnessed people really freaking out on psychedelics as most people with enough time do. If you are aware how difficult psychedelic experience can get, it’s more likely to turn it into something good or at least to ride it to baseline without freaking out, I think. It isn’t without reason that many people like to have something to abort/mellow out trip, even if they never really do.

2C-B or AL-LAD may be better suited in your case to start with. Also good set, setting and a choice to accept whatever may show up. A benzo at hand to take as a last resort may provide some security too.

Maybe listen to a Bill Richards podcast like this one may teach you some valuable things: https://spotify.link/V1lgGzQpkyb

I read The Psychedelic Experience by Timothy Leary in high school and I've never had a bad trip. So much of the book deals with set and setting and how to work through a bad trip.

I have had difficult trips that were really tough but they always end up being a good experience in the end.

Try reading some more about set and setting. Maybe check out the psychedelic experience.