• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Combretum quadrangulare - uses and ingredients

Gardening
a short introduction from the following paper:

2003 - Chemical Constituents and Biological Activities of Vietnamese Medicinal plants

2.1 Plant Description
Combretum quadrangulare Kurz a well-known medicinal
plant indigenous to Southeast Asia, belongs to the family
*Address correspondence to this author at the Department of Natural
Products Chemistry, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and
Pharmaceutical University, 2630-Sugitani, Toyama 930-0194, Japan; Tel:
81-76-434-7625; Fax: 81-76-434-5059; E-mail: [email protected].
ac.jp
Combretaceae. It is a small tree, 5–10 m tall, and is
commonly known as "Tram bau" in Vietnam and "Sakae" in
Thailand [1,2]. Its leaves are simple, opposite, oblanceolate,
6–15 cm long, 3–6 cm wide, consisting of tip obtuse or
retuse; margin entire; base attenuate. Flowers are white, 4–5
cm long; consisting of calyx-tube cap-shaped, 1 mm long,
4-angled, petals 4, oblanceolate, tip rounded or retuse and
tamens 8, about 3 mm long. Fruits are about 2 cm in
diameter, 4-winged.

2.2 Therapeutic Uses
The seeds, leaves as well as the stem bark of the plant are
used in Vietnamese and Thai traditional medicine as
antihepatitis, antipyretic, antidysenteric and anthelmintic
agent. The seeds are administrated orally together with ripe
bananas as an antihelminthic for ascariasis and oxyuriasis.
The root of the plant has been used for treatment of
abscesses and gonorrhea and as alterative and anthelmintic.
The whole plant has been used for stomachache, treatment of
roundworm infestation, chronic gastrointestinal ailments of
children between the ages of 5 and 13 characterized by
marked malnutrition, usually associated with intestinal
parasitism and abscesses.

2.3 Chemical Constituents
The seeds, leaves, flowers and roots of C. quadrangulare
were investigated for their chemical constituents.
Flavonoids, triterpenes, triterpene saponins, steroids and
lignans have been reported from the different parts of C.
quadrangulare.

i found a short line on the internet about its psychoactive effects, guess thats why i ordered it:

Its effects are described as mildly euphoric, sleep-inducing, sedative and mood-enhancing.

gonna test a 100:1x plant extract of this plant again. will report back, no information to gather about the plant from rätschs The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications.

some papers that i found about its plant constituents, nothing about its psychoactive abilities though:

1998 - CYTOTOXIC CYCLOARTANE-TYPE TRITERPENES FROM COMBRETUM Q UADRANG ULARE.pdf
2000 - 1-O-Galloyl-6-O-(4-hydroxy-3,5-dime-thoxy)benzoyl-b-D-glucose, a New Hepatoprotective Constituent from Combretum quadrangulare.pdf
2000 - Hepatoprotective constituents of the seeds of Combretum quadrangulare.pdf
2000 - Hepatoprotective effect of Combretum quadrangulare and its constituents.pdf
2000 - Methyl quadrangularates A-D and related triterpenes from Combretum quadrangulare.pdf
2000 - Quadranosides I-V, New Triterpene Glucosides from the Seeds of Combretum quadrangulare.pdf
2000 - Quadranosides VI-XI, Six New Triterpene Glucosides from the Seeds of Combretum quadrangulare.pdf
2000 - Thirteen Novel Cycloartane-Type Triterpenes from Combretum quadrangulare.pdf
2001 - Three New Triterpenes from the Seeds of Combretum quadrangulare and Their hepatoprotective activities.pdf
2003 - Chemical Constituents and Biological Activities of Vietnamese Medicinal plants.pdf
2011 - Cycloartane Triterpenes Isolated from Combretum quadrangulare activity.pdf
2020 - Combretum quadrangulare Extract Attenuates Atopic Dermatitis-Like Skin Lesions through Modulation of MAPK Signaling in BALBc Mice.pdf
2021 - Flavones from Combretum quadrangulare Growing in Vietnam and Their Alpha-Glucosidase Inhibitory Activity.pdf
2021 - Norquandrangularic acid D, a new trinorcycloartane isolated from the leaves of Combretum quadrangulare.pdf

if anybody heard of this tree before and has additional information, please share.

from the following paper:

2021 - Norquandrangularic acid D, a new trinorcycloartane isolated from the leaves of Combretum quadrangulare

ABSTRACT
Phytochemical investigation on the leaves of Combretum quadrangulare
growing in Vietnam afforded a new trinorcycloartane triterpenoid,
norquandrangularic acid D (1), along with three known
compounds, betulinic acid (2), luteolin (3), and apigenin (4). Their
structures were elucidated using spectroscopic methods and comparison
was made with reports in the literature. Compounds 1
and 3 were evaluated for a-glucosidase inhibition. Compound 3
showed significant activity, with an IC50 value of 11.39 mM, (acarbose,
used as a positive control, had an IC50 of 367 mM).

ok, took 1,1g of 100:1x extract over the day. no discernable effects noted. maybe i slight hunch but this might be placebo. so rather without effect.

thats one of the active ingredients in the addictive and banned in some places supplement called ZaZa. it contains this herb, plus tianeptine and kava. I just got it this week and i must say, i can get pretty high on it with few pills. but the effect is most likely based on tianeptine being in there.

you should try it and see it does feel psychoactive.

you should try it and see it does feel psychoactive.

hm, yeah seems that its the tianeptine at work there. id get some pure tianeptine instead. my wild days of trial and error with new compouds are slowly comming to an end. to fucked up of a live over here to handle.

Last edited:
hm, yeah seems that its the tianeptine at work there. id get some pure tianeptine instead. my wild days of trial and error with new compouds are slowly comming to an end. to fucked up of a live over here to handle.

did you mention you live in germany? you can buy it as medicine for depression. i dunno whats the name in your country, but its sold as Coaxil in Eastern europe. I get it without prescription there because its expensive and pharmacists love the money haha. But anyway here in the US, I order it from Florida, made in China, sadly. Its great for depression as long as you dont mix it with alcohol, which i always do btw, and then it can cause overturn and HUGE DEPRESSION long term. BUT by itself, i think its good medicine. Dont go over certain MG amount to avoid withdrawal which is kind of like heroin in ways :/

id you mention you live in germany? you can buy it as medicine for depression. i dunno whats the name in your country, but its sold as Coaxil in Eastern europe. I get it without prescription there because its expensive and pharmacists love the money haha. But anyway here in the US, I order it from Florida, made in China, sadly. Its great for depression as long as you dont mix it with alcohol, which i always do btw, and then it can cause overturn and HUGE DEPRESSION long term. BUT by itself, i think its good medicine. Dont go over certain MG amount to avoid withdrawal which is kind of like heroin in ways :/

yeah over here it is also sold with the indication depression. problem is that they sell it in 12,5mg tablets. for me as a person with zero tolerance to opioids a good dose of tianeptine is 130-140mg. so you need around 10 tablets for one dose. i think very little effect is noticeable from 40mg on which might be appropiate as an ad. but tolerance buildup would appear and so this solid but soft (which i especially like with tianeptine) opioid is no valid option for treating a real depression. for some opioids seem to be an option, not for all. i rather cannot use them on a long term basis against depression.

and yes, opioids are in no way compatible with alcohol. i took a little shot of booze before my usual 5g dose of kratom powder 2 or three times. it was doable but in no way a real viable option.