• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Combining two NRI's - atomoxetine, reboxetine?

If an increase in heart rate/blood pressure is produced via NE then it could likely be at least partially negated with e.g. beta blockers/alpha blockers, some of which are peripherally selective

For some reason I doubt that the increase in heart rate is due to a direct effect of that drug on cardiac ion channels. I believe calcium channel blockers are occasionally used to treat amphetamine related tachycardia as well

CY

You could be right.

Heart rate increases fairly heavily with nighttime mianserin which - unless there's some interaction exacerbating atomoxetine's ion channel block, would suggest it's an increase in NA that causes the heart rate increase.

Atomoxetine is proving a funny drug to come to terms with, but out of lofepramine, rebox or anything else, does seem to be the most potent NA based drug I've tried thus far.
In fact - beyond this, I don't think there's anything more potent.

There was a poster here previously that mentioned drug clearance via permeability-glycoproteins can be inhibited by - either reboxetine or atomoxetine.

I found that, on a dose as low as 4 mg rebox, I had to cut nighttime mianserin dose in half - which indicates a clear interaction.

Atomoxetine however, on 40 mg - I was able to increase Mianserin back to therapeutic dose of 60 mg.
Up to 80 mg, and I have to decrease mianserin again to avoid night time interaction.

Whether this is due to increased NA, or an interaction - is not clear.

Anyone know whether Atomoxetine does inhibit p-glycoprotein based drug clearance?