• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

combining remeron (mirtazapine) with classical 5ht psychedelics?

ebola?

Bluelight Crew
Hey all.
I am wondering what the interaction might be.
Remeron antagonizes 5ht2 and 5ht3 (so you can roll on it just fine), so on paper, 5ht psychedelics might not "work". Then again, if remeron's binding affinities are weak in comparison to those of recreational psychedelics, you should still be able to trip on them. So I see 4 potential possibilities:

1. Remeron has no interaction with 5ht psychedelics.
2. It's kinda like SSRIs, where you have to gauge the dose up a little bit.
3. You have to gauge the dose up A LOT.
4. It's kinda like SSRIs + MDMA: you cannot trip on 5ht2 drugs while on remeron.

I looked through the anti-depressant interaction FAQ, but it doesn't have anything on this.

Thanks!

Well, the answer doesn't seem to be drawing from data on binding affinity, so they might be as speculative as I.

I would also be interested in anecdote from those who tried the combo.

Remeron(it was the instant disolve orange tic tac things) killed a 2c-t-4 trip quick. It s like an off switch.

I need to get a refill on my remeron script asap; it would be so cool to potentially not feel only certain aspects of a trip!
(according to that erowid article)

Any 5ht2a Antagonist will block the effects of a psychedelic, at the right dosage of course!

>>Any 5ht2a Antagonist will block the effects of a psychedelic, at the right dosage of course!>>

Well, yes, but it could be that remeron is a pretty weak antagonist, and the 5ht2a agonists that we love would completely overpower it.

^I have a very hard time imagining that being the case. Mirtazipine puts you out like a brick to the head, but in a good way...

from wiki:

"Mirtazapine is quite useful in patient situations in which patients suffer from nausea, since it also antagonizes the 5-HT3 receptor, the target of the popular anti-emetic ondansetron (Zofran)."

i think that would be a plus.

but i tried remeron once on its own @ 30mg and i thought it was ridiculously strong. it made me feel a little delirious ... not something i'd want to mix with psychedelics at least at that dose.

Mirtazepine has quite the high affinity for the 5-HT2a receptor (nM level), so it will likely completely 100% ablate the effects of any psychedelic at a typical clinical dose.

>>I have a very hard time imagining that being the case. Mirtazipine puts you out like a brick to the head, but in a good way...>>

This would be the anti-histamine effect.

>>Mirtazepine has quite the high affinity for the 5-HT2a receptor (nM level), so it will likely completely 100% ablate the effects of any psychedelic at a typical clinical dose.>>

Well fuck. Looks like I'll have to look into remeron's withdrawal syndrome if I decide to properly trip again. Curiously, MDA and MDMA give me trippier effects than they do to many others.

ebola

^Thats interesting. Any idea where I might go about finding info on the mirtazipine/psilocybin incident?

Edit: Did some quick searching and found a couple of interesting abstracts>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"Data now exist from which an accurate definition for serotonin toxicity (ST), or serotonin syndrome, has been developed; this has also lead to precise, validated decision rules for diagnosis. The spectrum concept formulates ST as a continuum of serotonergic effects, mediated by the degree of elevation of intrasynaptic serotonin. This progresses from side effects through to toxicity; the concept emphasizes that it is a form of poisoning, not an idiosyncratic reaction. Observations of the degree of ST precipitated by overdoses of different classes of drugs can elucidate mechanisms and potency of drug actions. There is now sufficient pharmacological data on some drugs to enable a prediction of which ones will be at risk of precipitating ST, either by themselves or in combinations with other drugs. This indicates that some antidepressant drugs, presently thought to have serotonergic effects in animals, do not exhibit such effects in humans. Mirtazapine is unable to precipitate serotonin toxicity in overdose or to cause serotonin toxicity when mixed with monoamine oxidase inhibitors, and moclobemide is unable to precipitate serotonin toxicity in overdose. Tricyclic antidepressants (other than clomipramine and imipramine) do not precipitate serotonin toxicity and might not elevate serotonin or have a dual action, as has been assumed."

I wish it elaborated on 5-ht agonists. Let me see what else I can dig up...

This seems quite relevant>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"Recently, the addition of drugs with prominent 5-HT(2) receptor antagonist properties (risperidone, olanzapine, mirtazapine, and mianserin) to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) has been shown to enhance therapeutic responses in patients with major depression and treatment-refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). These 5-HT(2) antagonists may also be effective in ameliorating some symptoms associated with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs). At the doses used, these drugs would be expected to saturate 5-HT(2A) receptors. These findings suggest that the simultaneous blockade of 5-HT(2A) receptors and activation of an unknown constellation of other 5-HT receptors indirectly as a result of 5-HT uptake inhibition might have greater therapeutic efficacy than either action alone. Animal studies have suggested that activation of 5-HT(1A) and 5-HT(2C) receptors may counteract the effects of activating 5-HT(2A) receptors. Additional 5-HT receptors, such as the 5-HT(1B/1D/5/7) receptors, may similarly counteract the effects of 5-HT(2A) receptor activation. These clinical and preclinical observations suggest that the combination of highly selective 5-HT(2A) antagonists and SSRIs, as well as strategies to combine high-potency 5-HT(2A) receptor and 5-HT transporter blockade in a single compound, offer the potential for therapeutic advances in a number of neuropsychiatric disorders."

heres another interesting one>

"The novel antidepressant mirtazapine has a dual mode of action. It is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA) that acts by antagonizing the adrenergic alpha2-autoreceptors and alpha2-heteroreceptors as well as by blocking 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors. It enhances, therefore, the release of norepinephrine and 5-HT1A-mediated serotonergic transmission. This dual mode of action may conceivably be responsible for mirtazapine's rapid onset of action. Mirtazapine is extensively metabolized in the liver. The cytochrome (CYP) P450 isoenzymes CYP1A2, CYP2D6, and CYP3A4 are mainly responsible for its metabolism. Using once daily dosing, steady-state concentrations are reached after 4 days in adults and 6 days in the elderly. In vitro studies suggest that mirtazapine is unlikely to cause clinically significant drug-drug interactions. Dry mouth, sedation, and increases in appetite and body weight are the most common adverse effects. In contrast to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), mirtazapine has no sexual side effects. The antidepressant efficacy of mirtazapine was established in several placebo-controlled trials. In major depression, its efficacy is comparable to that of amitriptyline, clomipramine, doxepin, fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram, or venlafaxine. Mirtazapine also appears to be useful in patients suffering from depression comorbid with anxiety symptoms and sleep disturbance. It seems to be safe and effective during long-term use."

"This paper discusses how in vitro and preclinical in vivo studies might be of help for the interpretation and prediction of possible clinically relevant effects. The examples given refer to the data obtained with mirtazapine, a novel antidepressant with a dual mechanism of action, which can be best summarized as a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant. Preclinical data on mirtazapine have shown that (i) its binding to plasma proteins is relatively low and non-specific; (ii) the contribution of its metabolites to the pharmacologic effect is negligible; (iii) it possesses high bioavailability, resulting in a low variance between individuals; (iv) it has no inducing or inhibiting effects on hepatic P450 enzymes; (v) it has a very low potential for clinically relevant pharmacokinetic interactions with other drugs; and (vi) its disposition is independent of polymorphic CYP2D6 activity. The available preclinical data on mirtazapine could be used to advise clinicians and to guide clinical practice."

From what I've seen so far it seems mirtazipine is most likely to have high risk of interactions with other drugs that are substrate to CYP2D6 ie: DXM, 2c-e, 2c-t-2, 2c-t-7, etc. I cant find much yet on the metabolic pathway of 2c-t-4, but there is a chance CYP2D6 does have some role in the metabolism of 2c-t-4. More research is needed, but I'm not done searching just yet, this a pretty interesting topic:)

Last edited:
Wondering what was the go, will having what dose how many hours later will you be able to trip. Does it effect or not? I want something to help with sleep note tried a few dose's and mirtazapine does not knoc' me out like a brick in the head; but mixing it with alcohol and Gabapentin made me sedated. I have tried it at doses 30mg-60mg. I read that mitazapine changes when dose's go up over ~30mg-40mg effects having more seritonin released and stuff which gives less of the munchies and more energy.
I have many questions about this drug. strange how it has such a small perscribed dose bandwidth like 30-45mg

egore said:
Mirtazapine is unable to precipitate serotonin toxicity in overdose or to cause serotonin toxicity when mixed with monoamine oxidase inhibitors
So does this mean that its safe to take mirtazapine with MAOI?

I took mirtazapine for sleep about week ago, is it safe now to take some MAOI (like harmala)?

>>
I took mirtazapine for sleep about week ago, is it safe now to take some MAOI (like harmala)?>>

That single dose should be long worn-off by now.
You're fine.

Someone i know on mirtzapine 15mg did 10g premium indo kratom and 1g dried lib caps, and reported a hazy sedated trip which seemed to be muted somewhat in effects, lacking in changes of reality, but internally and in the imagination definitely tripping and excellent CEV's but said to be not very pleasurable due to a frustrated feeling and a feeling of emptiness inside.

This person would love to know how it interacts with pure mdma and also RC's such as mephedro.ne

Last edited: