Mental Health Combining different anti depressants

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanJ

Bluelighter
2 days ago my Duloxetine prescription ran out and the doctor messed up my repeat prescription so I was without them for 2 days. I had a pack of Citalopram in the cupboard so I took one of them to keep me going.
Anyway I was wondering if it's safe to combine the two? As Citalopram always was more stimulating for me while Duloxetine has a slightly sedating effect on me, so my thinking was to take a Citalopram in the morning to energise me for the day and take Duloxetine in the evening to help with sleep.
Anyone ever tried this??

No no no, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. That's not how antidepressants work. Combining duloxetine (an SNRI) with citalopram (an SSRI) could cause serotonin syndrome which is a very dangerous and potentially life-threatening condition.

I know that the withdrawals from duloxetine are very uncomfortable (I've been on duloxetine for 10 years and have run out of my script countless times and have gone through the withdrawals many times before I could get my script again so I know first-hand exactly what it's like). But the very best thing you can do is ride it out and get your duloxetine script organised ASAP. DO NOT self-medicate with other antidepressants. I cannot stress this enough.

Please speak to your doctor as soon as possible and get it sorted.

In the interest of harm reduction I am going to close this thread for any further discussion. Please inbox me if you want to talk about this any further. Take care and be safe <3

Status
Not open for further replies.