View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Combating negative side effects of Psylocibe Cubensis

Oh'Zvir

Greenlighter
Hello everyone! This is actually my first post, btw. :)
Closer to the topic.
I love mushrooms. Tried a lot of things but these little things are just fascinating.
But for all who ever does them it's well known that side effects besides usual psychedelic experience are not very pleasant.
First time I had them I felt very great with my mind and body. But all the other times it was very shitty. The same batch the same administration method: ingestion. Tried in tea and chocolates, and just plain. And every time besides the first time I felt horrible weakness in my body, a lot of anxiety (even though the times I took them were always when things are well in my life, tried to do them outside during beautiful days and inside, day and night), very bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't even smoke a cig I would want to puke. But not the first time! I've made long pauses between the trips (first in two days, than in 3 weeks, than 2 months!) to make sure that shit is completely out of my system. Tried fasting or having a small snack. Also took vitamins and kept myself hydrated.
You get the idea.
I am wondering if that's just my unique experience (great fist time, all other ones were shitty) or is it something common among many?
The thing is all the positive effects (imagination, philosophical thinking, visuals, etc) I love but all the negative side effects made me stop trying them a while ago just because they are too negative, haha, to balance out the positive after all.
Maybe there are some herbal supplements or some special things I could do to help myself?
P.S. Also tried toking up with good weed but it didn't help much :(
P.P.S. I also tried famous Soma/Amanita Muscaria/Fly Agaric and I had no painful side effects whatsoever. Not even a bit nauseous! However, from what I've heard these mushrooms are much harder on your body than beloved P.C.

Thank you for any insights you might have regarding this issue.
Also, go ahead and discuss whatever problems you have/had and what you do to help the experience.

Cheers!

Seems like you've tried most of the remedies I know of :\

I think to some extent it just comes with the territory for some people. Maybe try some other psychedelics substances, LSD if it's available was pretty much without body load every time I tried it. And its great :D

And there's also the grey market psychedelics as well. Research chemicals as they're known. 4-Aco-DMT is actually said to be a LOT like mushrooms with much less negative side effects.

Take opiates with your mushrooms! Preferably poppy pod tea, as it is equally natural and deliciously complex in effect (which goes wonderfully with psychedelics).

You can take higher doses as well, and maintain a level headspace throughout. Not to mention it prevents quite a few of the gastro-intestinal issues I've noticed from mushrooms. I STRONGLY advise taking simethicone to combat gas as the constipation from opiates is not conducive to passing gas.

4-AcO-DMT is somewhat like mushrooms but it's very lucid, almost unsettlingly so. It's like a psychotic dream, but not as psychotic as mushrooms. I'd say it's a cross between DMT and mushrooms.

Although it is a suitable solution, I'm not sure I'd suggest anyone use opiates :\ I could just be just be on "grumpy old fuck-up" mode and tryna warn others from my mistakes but I just see them as really dangerous to fuck with.

You might have more luck with 4-aco-dmt. It is much cleaner and virtually side effect free for me which is not true of mushrooms.

4-aco-dmt is much calmer and less anxiety provoking/relentless, which is the most important part for me because mushrooms can be a hell ride on the come up IME. I only get mild stomach tightness from it and that is rare. On mushies I've had bad nausea that ruined the whole trip.

Of course they do not have identical effects but psilacetin is one hell of a psych and is supposedly converted into the same major compound in natural mushrooms. They are pretty similar in many other qualities IME and both are class A psychs. Some say it is more like a DMT comedown and I tend to agree but it is definitely very shroom-like at times and can be both spiritual and recreational. One just has less cons IMO. Some may prefer the extreme emotional intensity of psilocybin mushrooms though but it doesn't sound like you do.

Last edited:
I hear you--my first trip I never noticed a "come-up"--it was more like marijuana in that shit just gradually became amazing. On later trips though my come ups became rough just as you described--body feeling weak, that "I've got to sit down" feeling, anxiety, loss of control, etc. etc. Some of this stuff is part and parcel of the psychedelic experience but once the cons outweigh the pros, what's the point?

I lucked upon a great remedy though--yoga. Yoga was invented by sadhus in india who used it with hash. It's only in the last few years that it's become sort of a chick / gym thing. For the bulk of yoga's history it's been a 'how to use cannabis technique' as Terence Mckenna put it.

Yoga is like giving yourself a massage--it loosens everything up, and afterwards, you feel great. The come-up is hard on the body and mind because it suddenly gets hit with this load of psychedelic energy and gets overwhelmed. Doing yoga on the come up helps clear up your nervous system so that the energy can flow nice and smoothly throughout the body.

Also, it gives you something to do besides laying in a heap going "oh shit oh shit, I'm cold, better put on a sweater. Oh shit where's my sweater. Found it. Oh shit I'm too hot. Better go over there..."

Basically, it's a way to both surrender and take control, if that makes sense. Which usually ends up happening after the body adjusts to the mushrooms. Yoga just eases you into that equilibrium MUCH quicker and easier. For me it made come-ups very agreeable actually.

Thank you for your kind responses. SWIM would love to try LSD or other chemicals you mentioned but in my area it's almost impossible and even mushroom appear among my friends only once or twice a year. The memory of the first trip still lingers but as you know your body has a character and it's not always easy to change.
Yoga sounds very good though as a healthy chemical-free alternative to combat anxiety. Maybe if SWIM gets a hold of a good batch he will try yoga. It should be very interesting, haha. Since SWIM does yoga when sober and in a full control of his body mushroom might add an extra dimension to the experience.

Dry and capsule the mushrooms - no taste in the mouth.

Never had any nausea with mushrooms or any negative side-effects. If you feel sick try laying down for the first couple of hours until your body is comfortable.

This was suggested for 2C-E maybe it applies for mushrooms too - 25mg of Benedryl 20-30 minutes before taking them?

I know this is a very old post, but I will add, for the sake of more current information on all this, that the Ps. cubensis mushrooms do not result in the same exact experience across strains, possibly due to variations in alkaloidal content, such as baeocystin and nor-baeocystin (4-phosphoryloxy-N-methyltryptamine and 4-hydroxy-N-methyltryptamine), as well as other possible compounds in the carpophores. The traditional Mazatecan culture also asserts that the different species of Psilocybe mushrooms each have their own distinct range of effect and purposes to which they are put. The Ps. mexicana strain has very little to none of either of these, nor much psilocin, mostly psilocybin. It has no body load whatsoever. Here is a little clip of a video from Kathleeen Harrison speaking about this:

http://youtu.be/ENWJiodFztU

This is indeed a very old post.

I feel like half my posts here are to recommend it, but Ondansetron (Zofran) eliminates any nausea I get from psychedelics.