• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Cold turkey questions

maul91

Greenlighter
I have been taking Xanax and Zolpidem(my main drugs, also tried some Valium, Flunitrazepam etc for short periods) since 2013 with regular breaks, before Aug -15 I don't think I ever took them for longer than a month at max, when I took 2-4 weeks off - that because I ate the pills until I got a new prescription. Ive had breaks for anything from 1 week-15 weeks. However in August last year after the 4 month break I took 1-2mg xanax and 10-30mg zolpidem until around christmas when i CT the Xanax and did a rapid taper with Zolpidem from 30-10mg over 2 weeks. 3 months benzo free soon, going for a year this time.

However I read a post here on bluelight that scared me:

"
I think the designation of what it is that you are feeling is really irrelevant. It is obviously a withdrawal that you are experiencing. Whether it is post-acute or still acute is really a debate of semantics...

With benzos, that recovery period can indeed take a very long time to fully recover from, physically or mentally. Large doses and daily doses over periods of time are what tend to cause the worst scenarios.

I think you need to do a better taper if you ever do this again, because you shouldn't really feel the withdrawal if you're doing it correctly. Rebound anxiety is one thing, but actually feeling the withdrawal effects from the drug mean that you are not tapering the drug slowly enough.

This is a big part of the problem with these recoveries from benzo addiction that last months or years: The transition was not made smoothly from addicted to sober. If you're feeling the bad effects of the withdrawal and continue to taper and feel these bad effects, you're not going to just "go back to normal". You will go through a traumatic experience that changes your life. Your brain will not ever return to normal; you and your brain will just have to get used to the shocking new world that you are being thrown into when you don't taper correctly. Tapering correctly, on the other hand, allows for you to never lose control and have this traumatic experience in the first place. There is no "return to normal" because you transitioned smoothly, and never left "normal
"..."

Im now worrying that my brain will never go back to normal as the poster writes. Are my GABA-levels fucked now or do they still heal as they would do if you tapered? What about my tolerance? Does it go down if you dont taper or will I be at the same dose IF I ever try a pill again? Its not like im gonna start taper now but... Im worrying. Im not sure if I understand that post correctly. Does he/she only mean people that ate benzos for years daily without stopping?