• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Cold symptoms or withdrawal?

bobbyjones

Greenlighter
So I've been opiate clean for about two years.

A month and a half ago I started a new job which involved breathing lots dust. I started to experience cold-like symptoms, specifically a runny nose. I figured it was due to the job, and these symptoms lasted for a month.

About a week after I started the new job I snorted some heroin (in the nostril that wasn't stuffed up), and I was fine (though still having congestion problems). I used a few more times in the past month with no noticeable effects (except fatigue after once when I used 2 days in a row). After that day I was physically fine again except for the congestion.

The last time I used was Friday (6 days ago). I started taking anti-histamines 2 days ago to see if my symptoms were allergy-related.

All of yesterday I felt like I had the flu. I felt weak, fatigued, slight body aches, and always the runny/stuffed up nose.

Today my runny nose is gone, just like that. This would suggest I was in fact allergic to the dust. Thing is, I still feel a bit fatigued today, whereas I didn't feel any fatigue or aches until 5 days after my last dose.

I've been addicted before, and I've been through withdrawal with both H and suboxone, but in those cases the withdrawal always showed up 2 days after I stopped using, peaking after about 3 or 4 days.

So my question is, am I experiencing delayed withdrawal symptoms or is it just a coincidence owing to the fact that I was in fact sick/allergic.

It's important because if I am experience withdrawal I need to take a step back and forgo using today (which I planned on). Also, I don't have cravings. I mean, I crave just like a H-addict always craves, just like I craved over the past 2 years. Actual withdrawal is usually accompanied by intense cravings (you're body telling you it needs a dose to feel better), but in this case I feel more like I'm coming off a flu.

Opioid withdrawal is often summarized as being "flu-like", so this can make it pretty difficult to differentiate between being sick from lack of drugs or from some other cause. For me personally, there are a couple of symptoms that I experience when I'm in Opioid withdrawal that generally make it clear what the cause of my sickness truly is. Restless Legs Syndrome is a huge one for me. That ungodly urge to kick your legs and move your entire body around constantly.

I will get some slight discomfort in my legs and body if I have a cold, but it's nothing like the elecrtical storm I experience in my body when I'm dopesick. Everyone is different so I would advise you to try to identify a symptom that you only get when you're sick from Opioids.

I don't think I ever get goosebumps when I just have a cold or flu, and the way my pupils dilate, and of course RLS is the biggest one.

Oh Ya, who can forget the yawning and watery eyes, then the GI problems, bubble guts, cramps, and diarrhea, and excessive urinating. I always have to take a piss literally every half hour in withdrawal.

with such lite usage i wouldn't think they're withdrawals and you mentioned you only used 2 days in a row on 1 occasion unless you're not telling us the whole story. personally if it were me i would just take a step back regardless of whether you're in withdrawals or not because trust me, you don't want to re-catch your habit. for me, if i use like 3 days in a row i'll experience withdrawals, you wouldn't think that was enough to become physically dependent again but i find that once you've been physically dependent it takes less and less amount of consecutive days of usage to get hooked again.

unless you're experiencing RLS, excessive yawning, watery eyes, runny nose, scratchy throat, intense anxiety for no apparent reason than it's not withdrawals.

Op has a history of opiate addiction, so it is conceivable that that little amount caused WD symptoms. As soon as I read "took dph". I figured it to be WD symptoms and not the cold or flu. Dph is well known to exacerbate wds.

- Hopeless Soul

Dph as in benadryl/diphenhydramine? That Shit makes RLS way worse if I take it in WD.