• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Cold Air Intake Advice

Bigsammy610

Bluelighter
To anybody who might see this thread:

I have a 2007 Chevy Impala that has 250,000 miles on her.

She still runs great, I just need to get my buddy to help me put a solenoid in the transmission. The 1st-2nd gear solenoid to be specific, but that's besides thw the point.

I was thinking about possibly installing a cold air intake under the hood in hopes that it could take any extra stress off of the engine.

Does my theory make sense? Or would it backfire and stress the engine/motor even more? Any car people among the bluelight community that could shed some light on the subject? I'd really appreciate and thank u in advance!

depends on the design but generally for a car that's otherwise stock a short ram intake (SRI) is a better way to go. CAI may add a horse or two up at peak but unless you're redlining often you may not even notice the difference. SRI, on the other hand, reduces air resistance so throttle response will improve because air can move past the throttle body faster. the faster air moves into the engine, the faster the engine starts producing the big bangs

np :) short ram is easier to install and costs less (less material and less volume/weight if shipped), though you can save a lot of cash just doing like this guy:

you should be able to find cheap 3" pipe segments, silicone couplers, clamps and an air filter at most auto parts store for pretty cheap and just DIY it, but use the mechanic's manual to see how plumbing comes and goes because if i'm seeing that vid right it looks like dude just zip-tied his PCV recirculation hose to the side of the pipe and is venting it to atmosphere. that's not just going to make you fail emissions but it's also a serious fire hazard. easy to fix though, just drill a bung hole in the pipe and clamp the hose to a brass nipple.

anywho, if you do decide to just get a pre-made kit expect to be gouged on the price and if it comes with a filter that isn't K&N, throw it out and buy a K&N.