Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Colbert to Succeed Letterman on ‘Late Show’

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Colbert to Succeed Letterman on ‘Late Show’

By BILL CARTERAPRIL 10, 2014

CBS made its choice, quickly and definitively: Stephen Colbert is the successor to David Letterman as the star of “Late Show,” the late-night franchise created by Mr. Letterman.

CBS made the announcement Thursday, exactly one week after Mr. Letterman announced on his program that he would be leaving his post after one more year on the air.

Mr. Colbert, the star of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report,” became the immediate front-runner for the position both because of the increasing recognition of his talent — he won the Emmy Award for best late night host last year — and because he clearly wanted the job. Mr. Colbert’s representation had ensured that he would be available to CBS by syncing his recent contracts with Mr. Letterman’s.

Mr. Colbert’s current deal with Comedy Central will expire at the end of this year, making the timing ideal for him to make the switch to CBS.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

The show Mr. Colbert produces for CBS will be significantly different from “The Colbert Report” because Mr. Colbert will not bring with him the satirical right-wing blowhard character he has performed as during his nine-year run on Comedy Central.

In a statement on Thursday Mr. Colbert said: “I won’t be doing the new show in character, so we’ll all get to find out how much of him was me. I’m looking forward to it.”

Leslie Moonves, the CBS chief executive, who was the primary mover in getting the deal done, said the negotiations moved at a breakneck pace beginning the day Mr. Letterman announced his plans. He said a host of calls came in from representatives with comics seeking the job. But when Mr. Colbert’s agent, James Dixon, called to express Mr. Colbert’s interest, the talks became serious quickly.

The five-year deal was not difficult to conclude, Mr. Moonves said, because both sides were equally interested. But he said that Mr. Colbert had one special request: “He said, ‘I want to be sure Dave is on board.’ ” Mr. Moonves said he had already decided that “it was essential to me to get Dave’s blessing.”

So he called and spoke to the star personally to let him know the network was leaning toward hiring Mr. Colbert. “Dave was very happy,” Mr. Moonves said. “He was very supportive and said it was a great choice.”

In a statement, Mr. Letterman said: “Stephen has always been a real friend to me. I’m very excited for him, and I’m flattered that CBS chose him. I also happen to know they wanted another guy with glasses.”

Mr. Moonves and other CBS executives stressed Mr. Colbert’s range of talents, setting up the changes he is likely to make when he moves to the broader medium of late night on a network.

Mr. Colbert, 49, has demonstrated that he can do more than his mostly political satire. He won a Grammy Award for his musical Christmas special, “A Colbert Christmas,” in 2009, and starred as Harry in a 2011 production of “Company” by the New York Philharmonic. His Comedy Central show has won three awards for best writing for a variety show and two Peabody Awards.

Unlike many other late-night hosts, Mr. Colbert has been comfortable as a product pitchman on his show, integrating into it products ranging from Halls cough drops to Budweiser beer. Sometimes Mr. Colbert has segments that seem connected to branded entertainment deals, but are actually parodies of the conventions of late-night television. Frequently those segments have been about Doritos snack chips.

Mr. Colbert also recently became a pitchman in actual commercials, for Wonderful pistachios. The first two commercials were shown in February during the Super Bowl.

The selection of Mr. Colbert will very likely push several rows of dominoes into action in late night. Comedy Central will need a host for its 11:30 show. Chris Hardwick, who is hosting a new late night show on the channel, “At Midnight,” will surely be among those mentioned as a possibility to move up a half-hour.

And CBS will face questions about its own host-in-waiting, Craig Ferguson. If Mr. Ferguson decides to leave, having been passed over for the leading late-night job at CBS, the network will be seeking another host for its 12:35 a.m. show.

Dave Itzkoff contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/b...olbert-to-succeed-letterman-on-late-show.html

Do you guys think he'll be a good replacement? IMO even tho he's not going to be in character for the show he's too political.

Letterman is political too. It will be interesting to see Fallon and Colbert go head to head, given their history together. They genuinely like each other, unlike Letterman/Leno. I knew that if Colbert got the job he would have to cut out the satire. I dont think that will be a problem since he was doing comedy long before he created that persona. Im more interested to see who his band and announcer will be, and if the show will remain in nyc or go to la.

The show Mr. Colbert produces for CBS will be significantly different from “The Colbert Report” because Mr. Colbert will not bring with him the satirical right-wing blowhard character he has performed as during his nine-year run on Comedy Central.

In a statement on Thursday Mr. Colbert said: “I won’t be doing the new show in character, so we’ll all get to find out how much of him was me. I’m looking forward to it.”

This is what caused me to ponder upon hearing the news. Initially, I thought "Jon Stewart is the obvious choice here. He's not a fictional character!". But now that I know that Colbert will be dropping the right-wing satire shtick, I'm somewhat more interested. I'm genuinely intrigued by the idea of Colbert hosting a show like the Late Show as himself, rather than his Report persona. I'm sure he won't lose the funny, but it's going to feel very surreal to watch.

Also I wonder if he's going to remain Stephen Colbert (silent T pronunciation), or if he's actually going to use the real pronunciation of his name on the show?

According to this, the pronunciation will stay. I didnt know this but he adopted it in college, before his professional career. Other members of his family use the same pronunciation.

The article also says that his alter ego will most likely be killed off or "consumed" by the real Stephen during the transistion.

I was really surprised to hear this. I mean, talk about moving up to the major leagues Ha, damn. I really like Colbert so I think he'll do a great job, but I never thought he'd actually get it. He said he wasn't going to do the same schtick from his other show, so I'm curious to see who the real colbert is, or at least the version he'll show us to take Lettermans place.

Gonna be very interesting to see.

Letterman is political too.

Yeah I didn't think about that, but to tell you the truth it's been quite a while since I actually watched him. Was always more of a Conan fan because well, he just didn't give a fuck lol.

Gonna be very interesting to see.

I can't disagree with that, and honestly I didn't mind some Colbert Report when it first came out. But for me it was just too biased and became predictable. Since he's not going to be in character tho it will be interesting to see where he is as far as political jokes. Hell, if he takes on a more neutral stance I think he could do ok. I'm also wondering if some of the audience goes expecting to see his character.

Last edited:
^^

yeah me too. He's made it pretty clear though that he was leaving that character behind and would not be him for the late show. But then.. who will he be? Hah. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It is kind of difficult to imagine what his monologue will be like. His interview style might not have to change very much though. And of course the segments in between will come natural for him as thats what hes always done. He has a great opportunity to craft the whole show however he wants. Think of how different (better) Fallons Tonight Show is from Lenos. He played to his strengths which is why hes doing so well. Hopefully colbert will play to his strengths as well.

But Colbert is a satirical character that hosts a satirical news show lol

I wonder if Stewart was even considered? He even hosted the Oscars once. (once)

I guess they figure Stewart couldn't bring as much variety and production value as Colbert. They want someone who can do bits, be spontaneous, and interact with the audience/guests more dynamically.

I see this less of "How great is The Late Show going to be?" and more "Shit, we are going to lose The Colbert Report"

all of these shows are written by people behind the scenes anyway

The best performance we have for gauging how Colbert will play “himself” on CBS is, in my opinion, also his best, and ballsiest, performance ever: The 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner. Of course he'll cut the conservative demagogue persona from his schtick when he leaves the Report, but socially and politically satirical he'll remain.

Take a look at “Stephen Colbert's Book Club” and his voice-over work in animation for an idea of how things will probably flesh out after the intro on the new Late Show. It's going to be literary, nerdy, and experimental. If Robert Smigel (TV Funhouse), Amy Sedaris (Strangers With Candy), and others orbiting in those artistic circles aren't brought in for segments I'd be shocked.

The Colbert Report was structured off of just a couple Daily Show skits if I recall correctly, which is sort of a small box to work in creatively for a showman of Colbert's range. Its satire sprang from the peak era of conservative punditry, and since then we've had six years with Barack Hussein Obama. I'll miss The Colbert Report, but now is the perfect time for its star to cast off his shell and flex a bit. I'm sure he'll be great.

Last edited:
Very well said psood0nym.

Colbert will be appearing on The Late Show tomorrow night...should be interesting.

Does anyone know why he changed his name to sound French? Colbear, instead of Colbert, he is Irish afterall.