• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Coffee opioid antagonism??

Aqlis

Discord Admin; Peas & Pasta Czar
Staff member
I remember reading something... somewhere (very informative, I know) recently about coffee containing some alkaloid(?) with opioid antagonist properties. can anyone comment and elaborate/dispel this notion? thanks

Last edited:
That would be really surprising to me. I think that if there is an alkaloid contained in coffee that antagonizes Opioid receptors, than it is found in levels below what would be needed to produce clinically significant effects. There are too many people out there drinking coffee daily for society not to make the connection after all of this time. There are a lot of things that fly under the radar for long periods of time, but there are so many people out there consuming coffee and taking Opioids. All of these people must go the occasional morning without drinking coffee to notice.

That's my opinion. There could be something in coffee that antagonizes Opioid receptors, but not enough of it to make it relevant to a person using Opioids.

Caffeine is bad during opioid withdrawal, maybe it was referring to this, but its due to caffeine's adenosine antagonism which basically blocks the brain's tiredness signal molecule.

Caffeine might exacerbate withdrawal symptoms but it isn't an opioid antagonist

However it looks coffee maybe have antagonistic effects, particularly when roasted:

I imagine when they make instant coffee they roast the fuck out of it.

Caffeine might exacerbate withdrawal symptoms but it isn't an opioid antagonist

However it looks coffee maybe have antagonistic effects, particularly when roasted:

I imagine when they make instant coffee they roast the fuck out of it.

This may be why I only like white bean or very light roasts.

-GC

I remember reading something... somewhere (very informative, I know) recently about coffee containing some alkaloid(?) with opioid antagonist properties. can anyone comment and elaborate/dispel this notion? thanks
If there's a property there it's very very mild on some set of receptors which will not wreck anything about your high or reduce your chance of an od