• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine.

fermonos

Bluelighter
Does pure codeine effect the liver or body in high amounts?

I'm very confused because many people say Codeine is very bad for the liver but a lot of people who say this are saying it because Codeine is usually mixed with APAP.

So the question is, is pure Codeine Phosphate bad for your liver or body?

Codeine is not bad for the liver, pure codeine can be deadly in high doses to your respiratory system. The paracetamol mixed with codeine is damaging to your liver if taken in high doses. Pure codeine phosphate will not do too much to your liver (as far as I am aware).

Codeine is not toxic to the liver. It stresses the liver in some ways simply due to the fact that the liver must "work" to metabolize the drug, but it is in no way directly harmful to the body. As the above poster said, the real danger with Opioids lies in acute overdose through respiratory depression. Treatment with Opioids in their pure form, be it Morphine, Diamorphine, Codeine or what have you is sustainable long-term with the primary health complication being constipation. Don't get me wrong, constipation can actually cause serious health problems or even death, but it's generally treated pretty easily with over the counter laxatives.

It's easy to get confused regarding the APAP/NSAID combination products. Codeine in the United States is almost always paired with an NSAID of some kind, generally APAP unless the patient is allergic. People in the past and currently have slowly killed themselves through excessive use of these combination products without removing the APAP. Liver damage, failure and cancer can all occur pretty easily as APAP is actually quite nasty for the body. You can safely assume that if someone is taking Codeine, they're taking it in the form of a Tylenol 1,2,3,4 or whatever. The general population is not aware of things like Cold Water Extraction unfortunately. My Pharmacist didn't even have any idea about the process.

Well I have the pure Codeine Phosphate 30mg, and I'd never risk a CWE. I know it's very safe but it would be in the back of my mind all the time that I may of messed it up.

Anyway thx for the help and answers

Codeine is not toxic to the liver. It stresses the liver in some ways simply due to the fact that the liver must "work" to metabolize the drug, but it is in no way directly harmful to the body. As the above poster said, the real danger with Opioids lies in acute overdose through respiratory depression. Treatment with Opioids in their pure form, be it Morphine, Diamorphine, Codeine or what have you is sustainable long-term with the primary health complication being constipation. Don't get me wrong, constipation can actually cause serious health problems or even death, but it's generally treated pretty easily with over the counter laxatives.

It's easy to get confused regarding the APAP/NSAID combination products. Codeine in the United States is almost always paired with an NSAID of some kind, generally APAP unless the patient is allergic. People in the past and currently have slowly killed themselves through excessive use of these combination products without removing the APAP. Liver damage, failure and cancer can all occur pretty easily as APAP is actually quite nasty for the body. You can safely assume that if someone is taking Codeine, they're taking it in the form of a Tylenol 1,2,3,4 or whatever. The general population is not aware of things like Cold Water Extraction unfortunately. My Pharmacist didn't even have any idea about the process.

I might not have read your post correctly but it sounds like youre referring to Tylenol as an NSAID. Its MOA isn't completely clear, but it may actually be from its cannabinoid activity. It's not an NSAID though

Not trying to be a dick here, just wanting to share some information.

^Schooled! I actually appreciate you correcting me man. I'd rather hear it now than years down the road after misinforming the entire community. I just looked it up and I do appear to be mistaken. APAP is generally not considered an NSAID as its actualy antiinflammatory properties are less potent than similar drugs like Naproxen (Aleve), Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or Aspirin. I've just always grouped them together and never looked back.

Thanks for the info.