• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine without caffeine - does this exist in USA?

magicmusic037

Greenlighter
Hello all,
I finally got my doctor to prescribe and try out various opiates to see which can kill my pain enough to get through a weekend of work every week. I've tried norco and perkoset and now I'm on to codeine. I just found out that my codeine has CAFFEINE in it. One of the reasons I've been trying these various things is because they all KEEP ME UP AT NIGHT (booooo). I have Myofascial pain syndrome and caffeine makes the pain worse, and if I don't sleep the pain is very bad for my second day of work.

So, where can I find codeine without caffeine? Or any other opiate without caffeine? I'm not an addict, and I'm starting to realize that caffeine is put in there to stop people from removing the acepominaphen and mainlining mass amounts of morphene. Have addicts ruined this completely? Has my govt (USA) completely switched to caffeine additives out of fear? Is there NO pharmaceutical opiate that has no caffeine?
Say it ain't SO!!! Talk to me.....the idea of preparing my pills to extract caffeine has made me go limp downstairs for the past WEEK yo.

Most do not have caffeine. Besides Tylenol with codeine, there exists straight codeine tablets in 15, 30, and 60 mg strengths. It isnt prescribed very much because unlike T2s, T3s, and T4s, its a C-II, not a C-III, which means it cant be called in, cannot have refills, and quantity may be limited by law.

But morphine, oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, methadone, and others all dont have caffeine or acetaminophen.

Most codeine pills and syrups do not contain caffeine. Ask your doctor for a different type that does not have any. Or can you take it during the day in the morning?

I'm moving this to BDD for you.

So, where can I find codeine without caffeine? Or any other opiate without caffeine? I'm not an addict, and I'm starting to realize that caffeine is put in there to stop people from removing the acepominaphen and mainlining mass amounts of morphene. Have addicts ruined this completely? Has my govt (USA) completely switched to caffeine additives out of fear? Is there NO pharmaceutical opiate that has no caffeine?

Sorry, but your 'realization' about 'addicts' is an entirely erroneous notion. Firstly, a CWE (cold water extraction) can be performed to separate the codeine from acetaminophen (arguably FAR more toxic than caffeine). However, this procedure does not automatically convert the isolated codeine into morphine. This liver is responsible for this process as it occurs in vivo. Furthermore 'mainlining' codeine is NOT safe and thus is not common practice: the resultant massive histamine release & subsequent risk of pulmonary edema, amongst other things, are real dangers.
Before blaming addicts for 'ruining' things, (which isn't the case, as there are several preparations of codeine sans caffeine available), it might do you well to check the facts.

Edit: the inclusion of caffeine does have some therapeutic basis. It has pain relieving properties of its own, and combined with acetaminophen/NSAIDS/opioids can provide adjuvant analgesia.

In the United States you're not likely to find any Codeine preparation containing Caffeine. If you go overseas - Codeine is an over-the-counter drug in the majority of the civilized world - it's almost the opposite. You're likely to find OTC Codeine products with, for instance, 8mg Codeine/80mg Caffeine/APAP.

I'm actually surprised that OP ended up with a Caffeine containing product... I don't think I've ever encountered one state-side.

Most preparations I've seen are 8/15 caffeine / 300 Tylenol in various codeine strengths not 80 mg caffeine but I'm in canada

Yes there are plenty of prescription codeine medications, that do not contain caffeine, your best bet is to talk to your doctor, and explain how the caffeine may be keeping you up at night.

- Hopeless

Muscle relaxers don't work well, after 5 hours of work it's like trying to subdue an elephant with a fly shatter. The nociceptors need to be reset or they make the dysfunction the next day worse.