• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Codeine makes me hungry

delphinen

Bluelighter
As I'm writing this, I'm super high on 450mg Codeine; as usual, I metabolize it fantastically. I also noticed that Codeine very often makes me hungry after the 2-3 hours of peak pleasure; I just was wondering if there would be some logical (fact) explanation for this.
Thanks.

I have no actual medical basis for this, just my own experiences over numerous decades. To put it.frankly, whenever I run out of my pain meds, I practically turn anorexic and can lose 10 - 15 pounds in a few days. However, on them I can eat very normally, even over eat on occasion. I don't know why, maybe things just taste better or maybe on the drugs "is" my normal, period.

On me, codeine dont make me hungry but dont make me Full up to, but i got syrup 100 ml(3.38 oz), in that syrup is 150 mg codein and some sulfogvaiakol(i dont know how that name in english). When i drink this syrup or eat tablets i can normal eat food.

I get the munchies from both opiates and benzos. Downers seem to make me hungry. No idea what the scientific reason is but if I had to speculate I'd say something to do with lowered inhibitions.

I think opiates do or can actually effect blood sugar levels.
I have found that my blood sugar can drop rapidly while using opiates/opioids.
I have to be careful to make sure I eat often enough to keep my blood sugar stable while using opioids.
I always carry an emergency snack with me.

I don’t think it has to do with lowered inhibitions, I think they may use up more energy. Giving you that energetic jolt and euphoria.
That takes fuel. So fuel up your bodies with healthy food and a regular eating schedule.
I think that is why they make one crave sugar also.
It would be interesting to know the exact reason for this.

For those of us in pain, the opiates make it possible to eat. Pain really causes a lot of problems.

I used to crave sweets (candies) like fuck when on heroin. I'd hit a bag of gear then hit a bag of pick 'n' mix (no wonder junkies have shit teeth eh?).

But you soon attain a tolerance to this side effect. In the end, it's all only about the gear...

Opiate consumption causes the blood sugar to drop hence the increased appetite.

I think opiates do or can actually effect blood sugar levels.
I have found that my blood sugar can drop rapidly while using opiates/opioids.
I have to be careful to make sure I eat often enough to keep my blood sugar stable while using opioids.
I always carry an emergency snack with me.

I don’t think it has to do with lowered inhibitions, I think they may use up more energy. Giving you that energetic jolt and euphoria.
That takes fuel. So fuel up your bodies with healthy food and a regular eating schedule.
I think that is why they make one crave sugar also.
It would be interesting to know the exact reason for this.

For those of us in pain, the opiates make it possible to eat. Pain really causes a lot of problems.

Blood sugar levels certainly makes sense for opiates, but I'm still wondering why the benzo munchies. Alcohol causes munchies too not just in me but in most of my mates. There seems to be something that connects GABA agonism to increase in appetite.

I don't think it's about energy because stims use up a lot more of your physical energy by their very nature and yet they still kill your appetite, which seems to be a direct result of increased dopamine activity - the exact thing that stimulates you.

Oh and while I'm at it, I've also had significantly increased appetite from pregabalin and mirtazapine. Pretty sure I put on a full stone on the latter. But then lost it and more when they gave me Vyvanse.

Tolerance applies to all of this of course. I am scripted amphetamine and indeed if I take it daily the appetite suppressant effect will quickly diminish. Not disappear completely but certainly be reduced significantly. Same with benzos, they stop making you hungry if you have tolerance, it's only when knocking back 2mg alprazolam is enough to get you fucked up that I get major munchies.

My guess is that your body wants another feel good addition to your high so you eat a lot of food to get some more dopamine release in your brain. Same with nicotine and being high. Just anything to make you feel that much better.

Maybe it's similar to why smoking and vaping is so pleasurable if you're hooked already nicotine

My guess is that your body wants another feel good addition to your high so you eat a lot of food to get some more dopamine release in your brain. Same with nicotine and being high. Just anything to make you feel that much better.
Dis

I used to crave sweets (candies) like fuck when on heroin. I'd hit a bag of gear then hit a bag of pick 'n' mix (no wonder junkies have shit teeth eh?).

But you soon attain a tolerance to this side effect. In the end, it's all only about the gear...

F U B Gear ! yeah 👍🏼

sometimes medicine helps me to relax. And my stomach TO be able to have an appitite .

Is this really more of a Drug Culture type of issue? I'm not talking shit, but I feel we're discussing something more in the "fun" department than the Harm Reduction one. I'm not deleting this, as I've been gone and don't want to step on toes.