• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine & Fluoxetine

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
So I'm aware that Fluoxetine can inhibit your body's ability to convert Codeine to Morphine, so you may not have effective pain relief.

So if I take co-codamol 8mg/500mg and it doesn't provide any effect due to fluoxetine inhibiting enzyme CYP2D6, would taking a higher amount of co-codamol 30mg/500mg provide relief?

I feel like I'm not making any sense....

Basically if you're taking something (Fluoxetine) that inhibits the ability to convert codeine to morphine, would the more codeine you take "overcome" that inability?

Yes, I think that would work. Fluoxetine is listed as a "moderate" inhibitor of CYP2D6 which means that the conversion would be reduced by 25-75%. So upping the dose to 30 mg would overcome that. However, for someone who used codeine recreationally the usual dose would probably be too high to just start taking four times as much (same with other rec drugs like DXM or Tramamdol).

If you're taking Fluoxetine your 2D6 is pretty much out of action I'm afraid, all you'll get is mass histamine release.

Yep I'm on fluoxetine and as Sprout said you will get more of the negatives. Overall, just a bit of a waste of codeine. Also if you decide to go ahead then at least do a CWE, co-codamol contains paracetamol which is extremely harmful to the liver if taken in high doses.