• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Codeine Cough Syrup and Tramadol cross tolerance

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Sup guys.

Is it worth taking a cough syrup with 240 mg of Codeine? Being that I have been a whole year taking Tramadol intermittently between 1000 and 1500 mgs almost every day. Maybe I have already created some cross tolerance and I will need something stronger.

I would really like to try codeine but where I live it is only possible to buy it in cough syrups. That fuckin stinks.

Most of the time I only take Tramadol with nothing else. Clonazepam or Lorazepam about five times in last 5 months and a few times Pregabalin, but very rarely.

The only thing I try to avoid is alcohol and very high doses of caffeine.

Do you think I can get high with this 240 mg codeine syrup or is it useless?

Proceed with caution. Codeine cough syrup is dangerous (in behavior lol!). You might find yourself droopy and nodding out and it's not something you want to do around everyone. Just letting ya know in case :)

You'd have some tolerance already of course but the cough syrup is very strong imo.. I'd not recommend taking a lot all at once without gauging it's strength at first in regards to your tolerance/effects received. The stuff can truly mess you up man.

Proceed with caution. Codeine cough syrup is dangerous (in behavior lol!). You might find yourself droopy and nodding out and it's not something you want to do around everyone. Just letting ya know in case :)

You'd have some tolerance already of course but the cough syrup is very strong imo.. I'd not recommend taking a lot all at once without gauging it's strength at first in regards to your tolerance/effects received. The stuff can truly mess you up man.

Really? Do you think it's so strong? Because according to this page (https://clincalc.com/Opioids/) 240 mg of Codeine is equivalent to about 300 mg of Tramadol. A fairly small dose, considering that I need a gram or more of Tramadol to get high. I just don't want to waste money since this syrup costs more than double that of Tramadol and maybe it doesn't even serve me recreationally.

Ah ok.. the bottle I encountered was absolutely gigantic and probably loaded with way more codeine--but I cannot recall as it was a few years back. I should've stated that friend at the time was using it (not me), and he was nodding out and incredibly fucked up even with oxycodone/heroin tolerance. If you're confident on that ratio of codeine to tramadol you wouldn't have to worry about OD'ing though and that's for sure. Pretty sure you'd like the tramadol better in terms of recreational use. Let me know how it is if you take it please. I was pretty afraid of dabbling in it due to the state of my friend.. but then again it makes sense because the cough syrup bottle was not necessarily a bottle but rather an enormous jug (lol). Sorry for spreading misinformation if I did.

Codeine is a weak opiate and 240mg is fine for someone who already has your tolerance level. You will probably get an extra buzz if you mix it with tramadol yes. Codeine tends to be more relaxing and sedating while tramadol feels more stimulating. They should mix nicely. Nothing wild but you should nice something. Prepare to itch more though haha.

They do both metabolise using the CYP2D6 enzyme but other opioids also do. Codeine metabolises into morphine by this enzyme, tramadol metabolises into O-desmethyltramadol, hydrocodone into hydromorphone, all through the same enzyme. If you are worried this might block the effects, take the tramadol first, since codeine is known to prevent effective redosing.

The codeine and tramadol make one another work better, synergistically as in greater than the sum of the parts, and the buzz you mention is known clinically as varying mixtures of anxiolysis, analgesia, and the anti-depressant effect . . . when I took tramadol for pain control it worked in combination with codeine, dihydrocodeine, nicocodeine, hydrocodone, tilidine, thebacon and so on, the tramadol 45 to 75 minutes before the other narcotics so it gets metabolised properly and promethazine in the mix somehow can help as well. of course any whole opium product from poppy sea tea on up also work better for a lot of people with tramadol . . .

For the above and other reasons, I would classify tramadol as a potentiator along with things like tianeptine, nefopam, trimebutine and the like, ketamine and even orphenadrine . . . it also is in a special opioid category along with dextropropoxyphene, loperamide, diphenoxylate, meptazinol, pentazocine, ethoheptazine and so on. It can work completely as the opioid for some cases but for others it may not do as much as hoped . . .

Codeine, as weak as it is, for not being able to get me high no matter how much I take, sometimes feels just nice at such small doses as 10 mg. To me, there was never much difference in talking 50 times more codeine than this.

But, even after developing considerable amounts of tolerance where other means of achieving a good level of high don't seem to work as well any longer, I still get off from 10 mg of codeine, which I find is quite remarkable.