• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine c.w.e. Removing caffeine too!

po1ntblank

Greenlighter
This method works, I use it all the time. Yield = 250-275mg Codeine / 175-250mg Caffeine / less than 325mg Tylenol.

I cannot stress enough to *follow and apply the following procedure exactly the way it is explained* You can do the same procedure with any amount of pills you want, simply adjust the quatities.

1. Crush 50 pills (325mg Tylenol (500mg pills will need more water! almost double) - 15mg Caffeine - 8mg Codeine) into a very fine powder (no chuncks);
2. Put the fine power into a jar or pot;
3. Add 375-400ml of cold tap water (No less – 7.5/8ml's Water/Pill - This is crucial for Caffeine extraction – If you don’t, it won't work!);
4. Use a hand mixer (the ones used for eggs or whatever…) and mix it allot and hard until you get a slightly foamy solution;
5. Put the mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes (no more - no less);
6. Take the jar/pot out of the freezer and mix it again;
7. Put the jar/pot back in the freezer for another 10 minutes (no more - no less);
8. Take the jar/pot out of the freezer and filter it through a small towel or any cloth that absorbs water fast .Prior to filtering, you will need to make this towel/cloth soaken wet - as much water as the towel/cloth can hold. (No need for coffee filters – You will waste allot of time for nothing);
9. Once this exact Cold-Water-Extraction procedure is done, put the filtered solution in a regular cooking pan (the ones used to cook soup or tomato sauce are best - black egg pans might deliver too much heat). Put it on the stove and set the heat setting to one number under your high/max cooking setting (Roughly 15% or less of the Codeine will be damaged);
9.(b) Rinse/clean the jar/pot and put it in the freezer, empty (this will make it very cold which is needed afterwards;
10. Boil the solution down to approximately 15 ml’s (If you do not know what 15 ml’s looks like, measure 15 ml’s prior to this procedure and remember how big it looks like, this doesn’t have to be perfectly measured once you are boiling it – However if you have too much the caffeine will not extract as much as we want);
11. Once the solution is boiled down to 15ml’s, pour 15 ml’s of cold tap water into the solution - thus giving us a solution of roughly 30ml's. You will notice the solution will turn pitch white – exactly like Milk. That’s the caffeine starting to precipitate;
12. Take the empty, cold jar/pot out of the freezer and pour the solution into it;
13. Tilt the jar/pot so that the solution is cornered into the side of the jar/pot. We don’t want the solution to be flat, we want it to be narrow and as high as possible;
14. Put the jar/pot in the freezer (in a tilted position *do not forget this – it’s crucial*) for 5 to 10 minutes (you should check the solution often *always by manipulating the jar/pot in the same tilted position! – do not make it go flat!). You will notice after several minutes as the solution gets very cold that there is a new solid white crystalized powder forming in the solution. After the right amount of time (This can vary allot, so check your solution every 2 minutes), you will have thick solid white crystalized powder in the bottom covered by an almost clear solution on top of it (this is the codeine). The white crystal powder is of course, the caffeine;
15. Once it looks like the caffeine is solid underneath the codeine clear liquid, pour the codeine in a regular wide glass;
16. After pouring the codeine into the glass, cover the glass with the same cloth/towel you used to filter the solution at step #8 (assuming you rinsed it well and that it is still soaken wet). Pour 20ml’s of cold tap water into the jar/pot (*avoid* pouring the water *directly* onto the caffeine) and slowly make the water go over the remaining Caffeine that is stuck to your jar/pot, make the water run over the caffeine and around the whole jar/pot by moving it once or twice with your hand in a turning circular motion, and pour it onto the cloth/towel – into the glass, to recover any codeine stuck in the caffeine (some of the caffeine might get un-stuck and start floating into the water –This is why we use a cloth/towel to filter it);
17. That’s it, enjoy roughly 250-275mg of good codeine with a maximum amount of 175 to 250 mgs of caffeine instead of 750 mgs (yuck).

Last edited:
I have no idea if this works or not so I can't comment - but please don't just use a random bit of fabric for your filtration, especially if using 50 x 325mgs APAP - this could be dangerous advice as some cloth would allow APAP to pass through it..

How does this method cause the caffeine to precipitate out? I'm not saying you are incorrct, I am just interested! I'd be concerned tht actually it ws APAP let through by poorly-filtering it.. but I am certainly no expert.

(ps no swimming please, we know it's you, it doesn't protect you at all :) )

Acetaminophen has a water solubility of 12.78 mg/mL. When you boil down the solution to 15 ml's it equals to 192 mgs.

This will be my last reply, I have no time for explaining simple chemistry. It works - use it/or don't.

However, caffeine has a much higher water solubility, I don't see how this method would remove caffeine TBH.

They sell codeine without caffeine, I just buy those ;).

Also if you have no time for explaining basic chemistry, why did you post the worst guide for a CWE, the most basic of extractions there is, i've ever read? There is a CWE megathread which is much better. 8)

Well done on being a dick though, you dont have to be rude.

Acetaminophen has a water solubility of 12.78 mg/mL. When you boil down the solution to 15 ml's it equals to 192 mgs.

This will be my last reply, I have no time for explaining simple chemistry. It works - use it/or don't.

Do you mean caffeine's water solubility, so it precipitates it out?

Otherwise I am none the wiser.

It's a shame you have time to type that out but not to explain to us why it works (and to be polite) - we could have included it in our directory or threads of note for others to use had you done so..

My method would be to remove the APAP by CWE, then find a solute for codeine that caffeine is insoluble or partially soluble in, and do another extraction. Reduce / evap the solute, and assuming it wasn't something that now requires a wash, you should have a codeine hcl.

Yes, Caffeine solubility contradicts this procedure. However, instead of asking all these questions - try it out (by following every step exactly the way it is explained).

This procedure works. You WILL end up with roughly 500 mgs of precipitated Caffeine.

F.Y.I.: I'm a grumpy dude, I`m aware of it and I`m sorry about my arrogant ways of explaining myself. I was expecting all these questions and suggestions. I simply don't have the patience to go through the details involving chemistry. Simply put - the drastic and quick change in the solution`s Temperature during steps .11 to .16 greatly diminishes the ability for Caffeine to keep it`s high water solubility. I`m sorry but I will not go into details as most people will not understand and it will take too much of my time.

Once again - try it : )

Last edited:
^ unfortunately HR doesn't work like that.. this is an internet forum, anyone can post anything here. We have to verify things.

So because you reduce it down to such a small volume of water, with caffeine's solubility being what it is, 500mgs caffeine precipitate out?

I'm gonna stick to buying non caffeinated pills. And using a real filtration process.

We actually aren't that dumb in here mate by the way, but thanks. ;)

I never meant or even thought about anyone being "dumb". No matter what filtration process people feel is safe - the result will be the same. Do as you wish. I am anxious to see someone post a comment on the results of a *properly* done procedure. Even the slightest negligence can and will alter the Caffeine extraction/precipitation.

I find this very interesting because caffiene in 500mg+ doses gives me a lil gut rot, I will be trying this sometime but...
coffee filter is not a waste of time! effie is right, you dont want ANY unnesesary APAP getting through. this mistake made me very sick not only a week ago.

I've used this method for over 1 year - 50pills every time, almost every 2 days. I was never sick.

The quantity of APAP that will get through is negligable. Also, the APAP is unable to resist the very high boiling temperature. It is almost completely destroyed.

Last edited:
However, caffeine has a much higher water solubility, I don't see how this method would remove caffeine TBH.

The idea is quite simple:

Qty:
Tylenol= 325mg x 50= 16250mg
Caffeine= 15mg x 50= 750mg
Codeine= 8mg x 50= 400mg

Solubility quantities @ 50x:
Tylenol= 12.78|mg| x 400|ml|= 5112mg. 16250mg is available, however only 5112 is disolved in 400ml.
Caffeine= 750mg will be disolved in 400ml.
Codeine= 400mg will be disolved in 400ml.
Total= 6262mg

When the solution is boiled down to 15ml - with an extra 15ml added we have a volume of 30ml. However, there is 6262mg in this volume. Specifically speaking, there is roughly 10ml of water that has real soluble quantities of Codeine/Caffeine/Tylenol, the other 20ml is, let's say, "melted" Tylenol and Caffeine. The codeine is 100% soluble in 10ml thus is only part of the remaining 10ml.

10ml Solubility Quantities:
Tylenol= 127.8mg
Caffeine= 220mg
Codeine= 400mg (minus the damaged Codeine - Roughly 300 mg or maybe a little less).

What you get after freezing the 30ml solution is the rest that is unsoluble.

Unsoluble Quantities:
Tylenol=5112mg-127.8mg= 4984.2mg
Caffeine=750mg-220mg= 530mg
Codeine= None
Precipitated Total Amount equals to: 5514.2mg (this is what will precipitate - what is unsoluble).

Results: Roughly 10ml of clear liquid will remain, the other 20ml will become Solid once again. The clear liquid contains:
Tylenol= 127.8mg
Caffeine= 220mg
Codeine= 400mg (minus the damaged Codeine - Roughly 300 mg or maybe a little less).

I hope this clears things up. It's allot easier to explain in real life, I tried my best.

They sell codeine without caffeine, I just buy those ;).
I assumed you would understand that this information is destined to people that have no way of purchasing caffeine free 8mg codeine pills. In my own situation, living in Canada - the law requires this medication combination to contain Caffeine. There are many other countries that do the same.

Last edited:
^ thank you for your explanation - that does make sense to me now (I was thrown by you mentioning APAP solubility earlier). It does sound like it would work from what you say, although I've not tried it and we actually don't really have pills with codeine and caffeine in here (or they aren't as common as the ones without) so I can't test it myself - but I appreciate that the caffeine would precipitate out from such a small volume of liquid due to it's solubility.

The point about APAP being destroyed by boiling is a fair one too; however for HR sake I still stand by my comment about filtering, as people may skim-read your post or not follow it properly and of course as you know an APAP overdose can potentially be very dangerous/fatal.

Thank you for clarifying this for us!

i just want to say that this cwe method really works.
i was searching for cwe instructions, found this site and thought i could give it a go. did a couple of extractions a few years ago but no good results.

30 pills 250+210 mg APAP
25 mg caffeine
10 mg codeine
extraction done today, followed all steps as it is written.
consumption time today, 1/2 dose.
effects nice and subtle, relaxing, caffeine effects minimal.

i know this is an old thread, 11 years, but it's the best cwe i've ever done, thank you po1ntblank where ever you are.