• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine and Ritalin - do they cancel each other out?

isaaccain

Bluelighter
My psychiatrist said they do. I told him I don't take co-codamol 30/500s anymore and he believed me so it's just been a delay on actually getting my Ritalin, it's just that he lies all the time and I was wondering if it was true or if he just doesn't want me to take them. He doesn't even want me to take 8/500s for some reason because I used to abused codeine (well I still do but he doesn't know that) and he's a bit of a cunt. Anyway offer your opinions up please personally I think he's bullshitting, I mean I know there would be some effect on the stimulatory effects of methylphenidate but 60mg of codeine vs 10mg of Ritalin, the Ritalin will obviously overpower it, so he just needs to fuck off. Just my opinion.

Ritalin will dominate the codeine and you won't be able to feel it so much, but it's not "canceled out" it's still having an effect on you're mood and focus. Uppers almost always dominate, meth and oxy is complete waste in my opinion, while heroin and coke is quite lovely. Perhaps because of heroins nature it mixes well with uppers, but in the case of every other opiate/upper combo I have come across, the upper always wins and the opiate is wasted. I would just save each for a separate time or do the ritalin first and codeine second on the come down.

I dunno. I done Codeine and MDMA at the same time, and it made it much more enjoyable.

Ritalin will dominate the codeine and you won't be able to feel it so much, but it's not "canceled out" it's still having an effect on you're mood and focus. Uppers almost always dominate, meth and oxy is complete waste in my opinion, while heroin and coke is quite lovely. Perhaps because of heroins nature it mixes well with uppers, but in the case of every other opiate/upper combo I have come across, the upper always wins and the opiate is wasted. I would just save each for a separate time or do the ritalin first and codeine second on the come down.

Oh it's not a recreational thing, I mean I might try Ritalin recreationally but my parents are cunts about it, it's like when I got sleeping pills she would come to my room, give me one with a glass of water, then watch me swallow it, and make sure I didn't throw it back up later. I was just wondering because he lies about a lot and tbh I'm still amazed that he gave me any at all, he gave me one strip of sleeping pills and wouldn't refill the prescription and I got three out of the first strip before he told my mum to flush them. He doesn't want me taking co-codamol either, not even OTC ones you can't get high off of, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about CWEs. I just wanted to know if he was bullshitting me or not. I guess I could tell him I googled it and it said that it wouldn't cancel out the Ritalin the Ritalin would cancel out the codeine, I don't know really but he doesn't have to know I take them at all, it just pisses me off when I leave my bag at school, the school counsellor searches it, finds empty co-codamol packets and emails my psychiatrist to tell him I'm abusing codeine again. They're all assholes really.

I guess heroin interacts with uppers so well because it has that extra acetyl group that increases the speed it reaches the blood brain barrier, or something, so it like gets to work fast and you get that same kind of rush you would get off an upper

Oh it's not a recreational thing, I mean I might try Ritalin recreationally but my parents are cunts about it, it's like when I got sleeping pills she would come to my room, give me one with a glass of water, then watch me swallow it, and make sure I didn't throw it back up later. I was just wondering because he lies about a lot and tbh I'm still amazed that he gave me any at all, he gave me one strip of sleeping pills and wouldn't refill the prescription and I got three out of the first strip before he told my mum to flush them. He doesn't want me taking co-codamol either, not even OTC ones you can't get high off of, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about CWEs. I just wanted to know if he was bullshitting me or not. I guess I could tell him I googled it and it said that it wouldn't cancel out the Ritalin the Ritalin would cancel out the codeine, I don't know really but he doesn't have to know I take them at all, it just pisses me off when I leave my bag at school, the school counsellor searches it, finds empty co-codamol packets and emails my psychiatrist to tell him I'm abusing codeine again. They're all assholes really.

I guess heroin interacts with uppers so well because it has that extra acetyl group that increases the speed it reaches the blood brain barrier, or something, so it like gets to work fast and you get that same kind of rush you would get off an upper

I think if you mean for medical use only. Then no, it won't cancel each other out.

I can't see how taking Methylphenidate after taking codeine would stop the medical effects IE pain management. I also think that the withdrawals from opiates will still be kept at bay. I just can't see how Methylphenidate would cancel out Codeine medically. Vice versa. Of course you won't get the same effects but that happens when you mix any drug. What I mean is the codeine is still gonna bind to the mu receptors and Methylphenidate will bind to whatever that binds to.

You should be fine, unless Methylphenidate metabolises via CYP2D6 enzyme then obviously it will effect the codeine as it needs the enzyme as you know. Honestly though, I would take the Ritalin in the morning, wake yourself up and help with your problems with ADHD or whatever you are using Methylphenidate for, then take Codeine at night when you're finished with the day and have time to chill. I'd take it all at once since you get the best feeling out of it then, but if you're just looking to keep the WD at bay then staggering your dose daily will be best for you.

About the parents watching you take the pills, ever thought of training your throat to block half way? I've been able to do it a few times so I can swallow but keep solids half way down my throat and I can push them back up. Or you could always block your throat with paper or try and hide the pill in your mouth. I think the best option would be before you take it in the morning with your parents in front of you get some gum ready and put the gum behind the back of your front teeth then when you put the pill in your mouth stick it to the gum and swallow as normal. Should be able to get away with it, and just save up a few tablets to use for recreational purposes.

Tbh though, I don't think it's worthwhile as an upper. Speed is widely available in the UK and dirt cheap so a better alternative already. A lot better and cleaner high comparable from what I've read about Methylphenidate, like I've tried speed so I have experience with it but not Methylphenidate so I'm only comparing my encounters with speed and stories I've heard about Methylphenidate. A lot of people say it feels really dirty and you get a horrible come down. You could also try get your hands on Mephedrone but that shit is strong as fuck and no where near as subtle as speed/Methylphenidate and feels a bit dirty as well as being addictive as hell. I'd go through 3-5 grams in about 8 hours back in the day and could never say no until I was out of money or sources for more. Lovely high though comparable to MDMA.

Last edited:
Yeah I could save them up but I don't think I can be bothered, I mean I had to worry about getting codeine almost every day for the past 2 weeks because I was running out, I don't know how I did it but I found enough somehow. I don't want to have to worry about hiding pills, going there twice a day to put the pills there etc. I might try it once but unless it's great I won't bother again. I wouldn't mind trying speed but I don't have the money right now. I guess the reason it'd be comparable to MDMA is because the MA in MDMA stands for methamphetamine, also it showed up as amphetamine on my drug test. I'm stopping codeine now because like I'm really far into the w/d. Actually I just remembered I took 300mg today so I've got a long week ahead I guess that was a shitty idea but whatever

No no, speed doesn't feel like MDMA at least not for me. I'm talking about Methedrone. I can't talk prices here but when you check skype I've left you some prices.

My psychiatrist said they do. I told him I don't take co-codamol 30/500s anymore and he believed me so it's just been a delay on actually getting my Ritalin, it's just that he lies all the time and I was wondering if it was true or if he just doesn't want me to take them. He doesn't even want me to take 8/500s for some reason because I used to abused codeine (well I still do but he doesn't know that) and he's a bit of a cunt. Anyway offer your opinions up please personally I think he's bullshitting, I mean I know there would be some effect on the stimulatory effects of methylphenidate but 60mg of codeine vs 10mg of Ritalin, the Ritalin will obviously overpower it, so he just needs to fuck off. Just my opinion.

My good man, your psychiatrist is either completely inept or bulshitting you big time.

I am doing with my Masters Degree dissertation this year in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and I can honestly say there is now interaction whatsoever between the u'opioid receptor sites and the and receptor sites and regions Ritalin acts upon. They work on completely separate parts of your brain and don’t cross paths in any way.

"Methylphenidate primarily acts as a norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI). It is a benzylpiperidine and phenethylamine derivative which also shares part of its basic structure with catecholamines."

These neurotransmitters don't interact with any form of opioid, Codeine or otherwise.