• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine and Dihydrocodeine

Tolerance vs Withdrawal

Tolerance vs Withdrawal? This might be more appropriate elsewhere - sorry!

I take codeine and dihydrocodeine both for pain and for fun. I seem to have developed a fair tolerance for both but don't have any withdrawal issues. I wonder how normal this is and whether it will go on.

I used to do about 30mg codeine for a little pain relief (but more for serious pain) and 150mg to feel pleasantly stoned (more for total OTT euphoria - but that wasn't usually my aim). I now do 90mg for pain and 400mg or so to get stoned (a couple of times a week). The thing I find weird is that I can have days in between where I take nothing and yet feel fine - no craving. No withdrawal. Is this normal? Will I soon become a slavering idiot biting my own eyes out with addiction? Should I stop? It all seems easy to handle so far...

If you continue to take it on a regular basis, then yes, sooner or later you will experience withdrawals.

It seemed easy to handle in the beginning for most of us who are now addicted. Pain killers are devious like that - they seem so innocent and easy to control at first. I promise you that will change if you push it

Currently you say you do not experience cravings either on days you do not take it. This can change as well.

It is normal to feel the way you do now. You feel in control. You don't experience cravings. You don't experience withdrawals. It's starts out for everyone like that.

For many of us, by the time we noticed we were getting addicted it was too. It has a sneaky way of catching up to you when you think everything is fine. Then suddenly everything is not fine. It becomes much harder to stop at this point, and most of us just continued digging our graves even deeper once we realized things had become problematic.

Your best bet is, obviously, to stop altogether... But that goes without saying. The next best thing is to use as infrequently as possible. Do not dose daily. This includes both types of dosages you say you take (pain level doses and recreational doses).

For example, if you take a pain level dose every single day but only take recreational level doses every few days then you will still most definitely get hooked. You should ideally only dose one day at a time and have several days of sobriety in-between.