• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine and Dihydrocodeine

OpenGtuning

Bluelighter
Hi All,

My question is if Dihydrocodeine is metabolised the same as Codeine?

Last edited:
They both get metabolized via the liver, however while both are metabolized by cytochrome p450, codeine is metabolized only by family 2, dihydro is metabolized by family 2 and 3.. also dihydro is 2-3 x's stronger than codeine.

DPH will not give you the high you want! Its not fun at all, if youre going to go down the otc path, at least do DXM. DPH should only be used when trying to potentiate opiates. Well that and it's intended use! Lol

- Hopeless 7nos

So if I get this correct. For me dihydro won't get metabolised by family2 but will possibly in family3.
Will.the high be less because only one family is doing the metabolising?
Yea if already got some dph. I might just ditch it. I have 4x 2mg diclazepam left for worst case/ end of world emergency. If I combine say 2mg or 4mg with 100-200mg of dph would this be enjoyable. A relative question I know but I'm asking anyway. And any idea of duration. Best guess?
As for dxm, I'm a bit naive.... Won't the pharmacist question why I don't have a cold?

Combining CNS depressants like opioids and benzos can result in increased respiratory depression and in the worst case could kill you, just don't do it.

I don't know, everyone reacts different, better not risk it..
Imo it's not possible to take DPH recreational. Doesn't feel like a high, more like you just poisoned yourself (and you are more or less doing that)

Well that sucks. Because I have just got some and it will be hard to throw away without trying it. Also do you know if I could get high/metabolise dihydro if I can't with codeine. That would suit me better. I'd happily ditch the dph then.
Many thanks

Iirc dihydrocodeine is active on its own so even with the gene mutation and if it's metabolized by CYP2D6, you'd have no problem getting high off of it.

If a drug gets metabolized faster or more efficiently, its effects are diminished. A lot people have a polymorphism, meaning genetically, they either cant metabolize a drug well, or they do it too well. This could be the case.with you. Dph is a cyp450 inhibitor, which will help you feel the codeines effects.

As far as diclazepam, I dont have too much background on it, so idk which enzymes metabolize it. But dph could inhibit its metabolization, but there's no need to take that large of a dose.

Dxm is otc, so no pharmacist needed. You could go to a self check out aisle even.

- Hopeless 7nos

^Codeine needs to be metabolized to Morphine, so by blocking CYP2D6 you won't feel much if anything from it

No need to worry about asking for dxm if you dont appear like a drug abuser or being really insecure with your request..and even if....So what....I once asked for 4 packages of an antitussive (each containing 600mg of dxm) in a pharmacy...little talk about my "doctor" and got them....and several times i got it in different pharmacies just leaving my id there and paying a few days later...one time even without my id..i'm pretty sure they knew that i abused it.

Profit...That's in most cases all they are after.

I guess being manic from dxm made it easy for me...I once even asked for a ketamine injection in a pharmacy and argued for about 15 minutes with them.
Of course i didnt get it.

Never would do something like that ( asking for ketamine in a pharmacy without a script) sober.

But really...dont worry about buying a pack of dxm.

PS: of course you should check beforehand which product in the Uk contains dxm (only) and ask for that.

OK cool. Sounds like good advice. First time I asked for co-codomol otc was yesterday and I was mumbling shit about a bad back. Mountain.biking accident. Getting physio and acupuncture and stuff. She said that will be £ 2.99...... probably to shut me the fuck up.

Are you sure you have the gene mutation of the CYP2D6 gene making you a slow metabolizer?
DXM is metabolized by CYP2D6 and if you have said gene mutation you can't metabolize DXM well, that could lead to an OD and a bunch of nasty side effects and in the worst case could be lethal.
Even a therapeutic dose could make you trip and trust me, it's not fun. I once took one lozenge only and I was laying in my bed for 1-2 pretty dissociated and didn't know what the fuck was going on.
So if you insist on trying it, start extremely low, like in the therapeutic range.
Stay safe :)

How much codeine did you take? Due to variations in enzyme levels, there's a huge difference in what people recommend as a first time dose. If you took less and got no effect, I'd say try again with a full 32 tablet pack of Co codamol or ~256mg of codeine. I've heard of people getting high off 90mg, whereas me and I assume you need more to feel the same effect.

First, please explain what DXM and DPH are. I assume one is dihydrocodeine (DHC to me) and the other is something else. My experience is that DHC (Cold water extracted (CWE), about 150mg) gets me 'comfortably numb' and is genuinely pleasant (so not just numb - there's real pleasure) but that 250mg codeine (again roughly because CWE) gives on and off bursts of more or less orgasmic pleasure between comfortable and pleasurable numbness. I wouldn't say either was crap. My preference would be to get going with a bit (100mg) of DHC and then add codeine as required (especially if CWEing from APAC (paracetamol) for one and Ibuprophen for the other).

^ DPH is the active ingredient in benadrl and DXM is the active ingredient in cold medecine.. Theyre available otc, sometimes used for a buzz(not a very good one),.and sometimes used as a potentiator.

- Hopeless