• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine addiction

Korrit

Bluelighter
Hi,
I like to do something like 200mg of codeine every weekend.. I'm concerned about this frequency because I don't want to be addict to this drug. So is one time a week ok ? Or do I have to wait more?
Thanks.

Ok well, in all honesty 200mg of codeine a week is what I'd call an extremely small use of opioids.

Part of the question here is if your concern is dependence or addiction. If your concern is dependence, as in avoiding getting sick when you don't have the opioids. I don't know how long you've been doing this, but you'd be wise not to do it any more frequently than you are now if you wanna avoid dependence.

Addiction on the other hand is much more subtle. The question is, are you having trouble sticking to your once a weekend limit? If you are, that could be the beginning of an addiction. If you're not, then if you wish to continue using codeine all I can suggest is that you be cautious that you don't feel compelled to use more than you are now. Cause that's how addiction starts.

Hope any of this helps.

Ok well, in all honesty 200mg of codeine a week is what I'd call an extremely small use of opioids.

Part of the question here is if your concern is dependence or addiction. If your concern is dependence, as in avoiding getting sick when you don't have the opioids. I don't know how long you've been doing this, but you'd be wise not to do it any more frequently than you are now if you wanna avoid dependence.

Addiction on the other hand is much more subtle. The question is, are you having trouble sticking to your once a weekend limit? If you are, that could be the beginning of an addiction. If you're not, then if you wish to continue using codeine all I can suggest is that you be cautious that you don't feel compelled to use more than you are now. Cause that's how addiction starts.

Hope any of this helps.

Amen

In fact I don't have any problems to stick to this frequency...I even can skip a weekend.. I'm mostly afraid of physical addiction as I know that opiates withdrawals can be hell, and I don't want that!
I also noted that I have less libido the day I dose on codeine.. do you guys think that using this frequency can have a "permanent " effect on my libido ?

Last edited:
Hey Korrit! First of all, I'm gonna tell you about Kudos. When I was just a young junkie in my little sailor outfit going to grade school every day, my mom would pack these things in my lunch called Kudos bars. They were basically like candy. Think of a wicked good granola bar covered in chocolate. Eventually my mom started buying "Mini Kudos". They were great, just like the regular sized Kudos bars, but... miniature.

What's this crazy asshole rambling on about? Well, the fact is that your desire to practice responsible usage and Harm Reduction warrants a Kudos. However, this Kudos is of the miniature variety for a couple of reasons. Basically, the fact that you are thinking about Codeine, looking forward to it, concerned with it... you like it, that's the main takeaway here. Not the frequency. Not the dosage. Not any of that really. You like Codeine and the longest journeys always begin with a single step.

My first thought when I felt Opioids? I am home. How can I stay here permanently? If I do A, B and C then I will be fine. If I do this, that and the other thing, I won't become dependent. The psychological dependence comes way, way before any true physical symptoms. Even before you develop your first sickness, long before that, you will have developed a pretty serious psychological compulsion to use Opioids. If not using them, thinking about them.

I'm not trying to say I know everything about you and I can predict your every move, but I don't want to give you anything other than the straight shit here. You are being safe. I support you, but only a fool believes that they're the one who can make it work. Of course, there are people who can. There are also people who get struck by lightning, eaten by sharks and win the lottery.

@Keif' Richards , Thanks for the honest, and (in my opinion) correct answer! I have Lied to myself that my Small use is not a problem?? Then why do I think about it so Fucking Much?? The reason I never finish a taper is due to fear of the last step ..Jumping off! No mater how low I go, I just stang there till I give myself a reason to use a little more. OMG opiates are a Fucked Up drug. I work Harm reduction, always on a tapper, withdrawals, and obsession of when I will use it? Chronic pain does not help. But I went years with out daily use of Norco, I did a lot of other things to help pain, but now just lazy, Older I guess? also I like the result of the ability to check out, from opiates??
I HAVE NEVER WON THE LOTTERY, HIT BY LIGHTNING,EATEN BY A SHARK (swam very close to one!) , and will not be able to use opiates long term safely without the curse of addiction !!

You basically making me freaking out...
I don't like Codeine that much.. I really don't think that I can't stick to one dose per week whatever happen.
I like more MDMA and psychedelics .. tried tramadol and really hated it !! .. I find codeine a light opiate that I can use when I'm doing a break from psychedelics. And was concerned by safety and how to use codeine without being trapped in opiates addiction.. that's all.🤗
And I'm 45 years old so...

You basically making me freaking out...
I don't like Codeine that much.. I really don't think that I can't stick to one dose per week whatever happen.
I like more MDMA and psychedelics .. tried tramadol and really hated it !! .. I find codeine a light opiate that I can use when I'm doing a break from psychedelics. And was concerned by safety and how to use codeine without being trapped in opiates addiction.. that's all.🤗
And I'm 45 years old so...

If your question is "how do I use codeine without becoming trapped in an opiate addiction", I don't think there's a solid answer to that. Some people are prone to addiction to opiates and some aren't. So far you've given no reason i can see to think you're vulnerable.

So, my advice. If you wish to keep using codeine once a week, I haven't seen a reason yet that you shouldn't. Just remain vigilant that it doesn't increase beyond that.

Codeine doesn't have a particularly long half life, so if you were dependent on it you should know before the next weekend comes around.

Like I said I have absolutely no pb to space my codeine by a week at least.. and I do not suffer from any withdrawals when I take it.. I was only concerned if I continue using it at this exact frequency that maybe I will be physically addicted after let say 1 or 2 years
Thank you guys 👍

Pssst: I also noted that I have way less libido the day I'm dosing + 2 or 3 days after which really sucks.. is that normal ?

Last edited:
In the beginning her ion would give me a do pedi CK ( fuck all night and you can’t cum) but after 5-10 of being a junkie sex was the last thing on my mind, I was a junkie for over 30 years but the lack of interest in sex started early in my journey

And for the diminished libido? Is it a common side effect or is it just me ?

I am now realizing that this came off a little more extreme than I had intended for it to be. I don't believe Codeine use is a non-refundable ticket to prostitution and woe, but it sneaks up on people.

Addiction is often this way. Opioids, I feel, are a little more insidious. Often there are no obvious indications of dependence/withdrawal before youre alreadt experiencing it.

I am now realizing that this came off a little more extreme than I had intended for it to be. I don't believe Codeine use is a non-refundable ticket to prostitution and woe, but it sneaks up on people.

Addiction is often this way. Opioids, I feel, are a little more insidious. Often there are no obvious indications of dependence/withdrawal before youre alreadt experiencing it.

I tend to agree with you.

It's difficult to get the balance right and give people a proper picture of the dangers of addiction. Especially when the propensity towards it differs from person to person.

hi folks I know this is off topic but im looking for a bit advice,iv taperd down from 12mg of Subutex to under 1 mg,and I just seem to be withdrawing all the time I want of the bupe but the w/d are just mind numbingly painfull and just drag on and on iv been thinking about switching to codeine for 4 months,2months to let it replace the bupe and then a 2 month tapering off the codeine as iv heard the withdrawal may be as sore at the start but goes by so much quicker any advice would be great thanks

Hey jock! Really, I don't belive that there is any advantage in switching to Codeine for your withdrawal. Keep in mind that one of these is an agonist/antagonist and one is a full agonist. They work in similar but different ways. You could essentially develop a slightly different withdrawal syndrome due to the varying effects of these two drugs. Maintenance is a quest when you're trying to get off. It seems to last forever, I know.

Are you familiar with microdosing? Given the fact that you're already on such a low dose, you'd be a perfect candidate for this. To microdose you are going to take minuscule amounts of your buprenorphine. This is intended to soften the blow of the withdrawal process. I was just discussing this in another thread, but I really feel that steady, frequent and small drops have a much higher chance of success when compared to sudden, big and infrequent drops.

You will basically be eating crumbs until you are at a level you can tolerate. You have to commit to a little bit of discomfort, but I'm confident we can help you get through this with minimal bullshit. If you have any questions about comfort medications or stuff like that feel free to hit me up.

At 1mg it'd be better to jump off with comfort meds(Gabapentin/Pregabalin, Loperamide, Clonidine, Diazepam/Clonazepam) Reducing the dose of these meds over the course of 2 weeks, switching to codeine first of a I don't think would hold you since bupe is a strong opiod and codeine a weak one. Doing this would just make you suffer for a longer time unnecessarily, just jump off already with the comfort meds. Good luck with ur detox. 😊 U can do it.

Hey jock! Really, I don't belive that there is any advantage in switching to Codeine for your withdrawal. Keep in mind that one of these is an agonist/antagonist and one is a full agonist. They work in similar but different ways. You could essentially develop a slightly different withdrawal syndrome due to the varying effects of these two drugs. Maintenance is a quest when you're trying to get off. It seems to last forever, I know.

Are you familiar with microdosing? Given the fact that you're already on such a low dose, you'd be a perfect candidate for this. To microdose you are going to take minuscule amounts of your buprenorphine. This is intended to soften the blow of the withdrawal process. I was just discussing this in another thread, but I really feel that steady, frequent and small drops have a much higher chance of success when compared to sudden, big and infrequent drops.

You will basically be eating crumbs until you are at a level you can tolerate. You have to commit to a little bit of discomfort, but I'm confident we can help you get through this with minimal bullshit. If you have any questions about comfort medications or stuff like that feel free to hit me up.
thanks for the reply mate and its a good idea,as I just want this over with now,constantly cold and feeling under the weather has just taken a lot out of me lately,but im going to give it a try

Good for you man. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with!