• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine #4

2_Legit2_Quit

Greenlighter
I recently got 48 Tylenol #4. I use 20-30 mg of hydrocodone daily. How many codeine would I have to take to get the equivalent of 30 mg of hydrocodone?

I recently got 48 Tylenol #4. I use 20-30 mg of hydrocodone daily. How many codeine would I have to take to get the equivalent of 30 mg of hydrocodone?
Not sure, but be careful with the paracetamol (acetaminophen) in the Tylenol. Too much can cause acute liver failure.

There are opioid conversion calculators like this one which aid you with dosing. It says around 160-216mg codeine equal to 30mg hydrocodone.

But yeah, @RickDogMan is correct, check the acetaminophen content and consider doing a cold water extraction. You don't want to OD on paracetamol.

I know you're not going to like this, but this question is not as straightforward as you would like.

The most commonly cited conversion ratio for Hydrocodone (Vicodin; Lortab) to Codeine is going to be a 1 to .15 ratio. To extrapolate,100mg Codeine is equal to approximately 6.6mg Hydrocodone. There are different conversion factors cited by different sources. Over the years, I have picked one that I like most, that seems to make the most sense to me and this is that,

The tricky part is that Codeine's action is based upon its demethylation to Morphine. Fun-fact, Codeine is known chemically as 3-Methyl Morphine, hence the demethylation. THe problem is that the efficiency of this conversion is dependent upon different factors, primarily genetic factors. Enzyme CYP2D6 of the cytochrome P450 family is mostly responsible for the conversion of Codeine to Morphine. Some folks are more efficient at this process. They are termed "strong metabolizers" or similar terminology and on the other end, you have "weak metabolizers".

The general rule of thumb is that 10mg Codeine is equal to 1mg Morphine. Just keep in mind there is some variance. People from Asia or with Native American (non-european) ancestry are often stronger metabolizers and thus will feel the effects of Codeine more potently. There are innumerable cases of Opioid overdose effeting first-time users of Codeine simply taken from OTC cold medications.

This isn't the norm. If you ask enough people, you will find that most have a pretty simiilar, experience to Codeine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it slow and go low with the dosage until you know how the drug effects you. Take a couple of test runs and see how things go. These test runs will provide you with valuable information in determining future dosages.

As others have mentioned, there is a pretty quick and easy method for separating Codeine from the Paracetamol/APAP found in these tablets. It is known as Cold Water Extraction. Here is a quick link to the Wikipedia article regarding the process. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

I know you're not going to like this, but this question is not as straightforward as you would like.

The most commonly cited conversion ratio for Hydrocodone (Vicodin; Lortab) to Codeine is going to be a 1 to .15 ratio. To extrapolate,100mg Codeine is equal to approximately 6.6mg Hydrocodone. There are different conversion factors cited by different sources. Over the years, I have picked one that I like most, that seems to make the most sense to me and this is that,

The tricky part is that Codeine's action is based upon its demethylation to Morphine. Fun-fact, Codeine is known chemically as 3-Methyl Morphine, hence the demethylation. THe problem is that the efficiency of this conversion is dependent upon different factors, primarily genetic factors. Enzyme CYP2D6 of the cytochrome P450 family is mostly responsible for the conversion of Codeine to Morphine. Some folks are more efficient at this process. They are termed "strong metabolizers" or similar terminology and on the other end, you have "weak metabolizers".

The general rule of thumb is that 10mg Codeine is equal to 1mg Morphine. Just keep in mind there is some variance. People from Asia or with Native American (non-european) ancestry are often stronger metabolizers and thus will feel the effects of Codeine more potently. There are innumerable cases of Opioid overdose effeting first-time users of Codeine simply taken from OTC cold medications.

This isn't the norm. If you ask enough people, you will find that most have a pretty simiilar, experience to Codeine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it slow and go low with the dosage until you know how the drug effects you. Take a couple of test runs and see how things go. These test runs will provide you with valuable information in determining future dosages.

As others have mentioned, there is a pretty quick and easy method for separating Codeine from the Paracetamol/APAP found in these tablets. It is known as Cold Water Extraction. Here is a quick link to the Wikipedia article regarding the process. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Wow thanks for all the info! I’m definitely gonna try the cold water extraction wish me luck!