Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine 30mg + 500mg APAP in Dissolvable form

TripppAR

Bluelighter
I didnt think that paracetomol was all that water soluble?

I brought back a bunch of essentially Panadeine forte..only they are effervesant tablets

Pretty much no abuse available right?

I was wondering how they get the para to disolve..not being super soluble and all ?

:-S

Precciate the help guys..

^ No, because the tablets are effervescent.

You could try and use solvents, which is something I have been theorizing about (chloroform maybe), but I am having trouble finding the mechanism for how they are dissolvable in the first place.

I have someone I might be able to get the information from tomorrow... before then, anyone else have any ideas?

^ I'd agree with Mr Blonde. Don't attempt to do a CWE on these or use them by themselves for a recreational codeine dose.

What's the specific brand name?

edit: nevermind

I'm pretty sure the effervescent action is merely to break up the pills in water. The solubility likely remain similar (1g/100ml for APAP), though the effervesent could cause more to be able to dissolve by ionizing the water or something like that. If you dump 10 pills in 100ml of water you'll get a lot of fizzing but still end up with some APAP on the bottom. Test it for us and see how much perhaps :D

If this is correct then a CWE would still remove the APAP (perhaps not as effectively), but I'm not yet certain what causes the effervescent effect and I'm thinking it might not be so nice to chug a lot of.

edit2:
haha and of course everything brings us back to bluelight
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=493860
Thread on same topic. No solution just says don't do it.

Last edited:
have u tried saying you have stomach pains or something with these and want normal forte's i mean fortes are the easiest thing to get. u dont even have to prove an injury for any GP to give them out

Dude this was OTC in vietnam.. they got tonnes of shit.

just said i had a tummy ache and thought id see what they had.. she said "this is weak but should help"

saw it had 30mg codeine and was like YES! Until i realised...effervesent.

I guess ill just save em for a meam hangover/ girlfriends period pain!

:)

The increased solubility of acetaminophen in these tablets may have to do with some base (chemically speaking) added to the tablets which makes the solution more basic and increases the dissolution of the somewhat acidic acetaminophen.

I'll have to look more into this, especially if they start making more effervescent tablets like this...

You might find this article interesting. On fast dissolving drugs.
http://74.125.155.132/scholar?q=cac...nt+acetaminophen&hl=en&as_sdt=1,5&as_ylo=2008

I skimmed a few patents and think you're right about the effervescent being C02 released with some fun base and acid mixes. That being said I feel the overall solubility of the acetaminophen is only very weakly related to the pH of the water and that it will still be about 1g/100ml. The instructions that the OP's meds come with state to dissolve in a full glass of water before consuming.

I don't know what else is in the effervescent tablets that could be harmful in large quantities (left over salts perhaps) but if you dissolve a bunch in water I bet the acetaminophen mostly stays out.

^ That is correct, the solubility would not improve dramatically. It may be enough though to make a CWE dangerous.

The other major ingredient I would be concerned about is the sodium content. If you did a CWE on a pack of 24 tablets, that is about 9 grams of salt you are consuming at once. That may not be enough to kill you, but it could make you feel ill, throw out your electrolyte balance and possibly cause you some damage... especially if you already have kidney or cardiovascular problems.

you can't CWE soluble aspirin or soluble paracetamol. They really are soluble. I went completely deaf for 2 days by doing a CWE of soluble aspirin/codeine (300mg/8mg). That was my lesson learnt. And if you think it's because aspirin is more soluble than paracetamol then you'd be wrong. Paracetamol is 12x more soluble than aspirin (from memory) .

So there was nothing in the filter when you completed?

Why did you still drink the solution if you knew you hadn't gotten anything out?

So there was nothing in the filter when you completed?

Why did you still drink the solution if you knew you hadn't gotten anything out?

There is white material caught in the filter, but not the dense powder of normal tablets. Put a couple of disprin in a glass of water and you can see the stuff that floats but isn't soluble. So you do get stuff in the filter but in the case of aspirin, it ain't aspirin in the filter.

Yes if you put a couple of dissolvable aspirin in a glass of water you won't see any (or at least much) aspirin because it is in solution. 1g of aspirin effervescent or not can dissolve in 250ml of water or so.

You are saying however that if you put 50 effervescent aspirin in a 100ml of water they will still all dissolve? I am not convinced.

Y

You are saying however that if you put 50 effervescent aspirin in a 100ml of water they will still all dissolve? I am not convinced.

well I can only tell you that 40 aspalgin tablets (300mg/8mg) in 100ml of water and put through a coffee filter will send you almost 100% deaf for 2days. A loss of hearing is a common side effect for aspirin overdose. I OD's to such an extent i couldn't hear myself clapping my hands, so I would say I consumed a shit load of aspirin.

It won't all dissolve. It will be hella salty though, that's about 18 grams of sodium which helps improve the solubility of aspirin and acetaminophen somewhat.

And in regards to the solubility thing above, at 20C paracetamol is about four times more soluble in water then aspirin.

well I can only tell you that 40 aspalgin tablets (300mg/8mg) in 100ml of water and put through a coffee filter will send you almost 100% deaf for 2days. A loss of hearing is a common side effect for aspirin overdose. I OD's to such an extent i couldn't hear myself clapping my hands, so I would say I consumed a shit load of aspirin.

Well that pretty much convinced me thanks! :D

I guess aspirin solubility is susceptible to some sort of slight pH change or dissolved ions in the water due to other ingredients in the pill. Very interesting and I do choose aspirin over APAP in my normal extractions. I'd like to see how an acid base works on it. Something like...

Filter out insoluble, wash with nonpolar, bassify, extract with nonpolar, evaporate, recrystallize in acid, reduce volume, cool, filter (maybe), and evaporate off. Aspirin apparently makes it through the first filter and some could get through the nonpolar extract (not sure) but whatever is making it soluble (small ionic salts) probably would not so the second filter as a back up should remove it.

^ It works. Chloroform is the best solvent I believe. Opiate alkaloids as the freebase are readily soluble in it.

Yeah I use DMF. I'm just wondering if it would beat the effervescent tablets like I think it would. The basification with all the aspirin still in there might pose a problem too. Usually I have almost all of it removed with a mutli single solvent recrystallization procedure.