• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Sex + Drugs Cocaine + Sex Megathread

No of course I understand those but I understand little else about Shakespeare. Like why don't they translate him using contemporary language so high school and college students aren't bored to tears. I think it's done on purpose because those Humanities teachers thrive on being obscure
I prefer to have the original text because that is how the author bloody well WROTE it; and apart from that it's not SUCH a very great stretch for a modern day speaker to understand it. It may sound archaic and yes some words have fallen out of usage (but for that there's footnotes). It also helps if you're aware of the fact that all those 'thous' and 'thees' weren't any sort of incredibly literary or upper class language, but simply the ordinary equivalent to 'you' back in the day. English was a more grammatically inflected language then. (Some Northern English regional dialects use 'thee' colloquially to this day.)

.. That said there ARE some editions that make the text more immediately relatable and understandable to modern audiences; sadly if you're trying to find one that preserves the QUALITY of the writing at the same time, might as well go looking for a clean needle in a den full of alcoholic junkies.

No of course I understand those but I understand little else about Shakespeare. Like why don't they translate him using contemporary language so high school and college students aren't bored to tears. I think it's done on purpose because those Humanities teachers thrive on being obscure
Because if you did that you'd completely eliminate some of the finest poetic prose ever written?

PS plus I live for the occasion to tell some fuckwit bastard I hate (of which there are an adequate number) that I consider him too dirty to be spat on.

Doesn't matter because Shakespeare is being cancelled.

Apparently he's far too white and colonial and uses funny language.

Perhaps we should cancel The Bible as well...

Doesn't matter because Shakespeare is being cancelled.

Apparently he's far too white and colonial and uses funny language.

Perhaps we should cancel The Bible as well...
Well, speaking personally, I'm all for cancelling not only the bible but every single text that leads anyone to believe they are A) inherently superior to others and B) therfore perfectly and reasonably entitled to kill others.

Heh, this is what I love about Bluelight.

We've gone from 'sex on coke' to 'the relevance of Shakespeare' in 13 posts... :ROFLMAO:
By the way I popped round your mum's flat yesterday. She wasn't home but the door was open...
20220523-104625.jpg

By the way I hope all of you chaps are pulling for Forest on Saturday

don't even know where Huddersfield is

Sorry I forgot @The UltimateFixx lived in Wales:
Football is a game played with a round ball and 11 on a side
Yes. And you kick the damn ball with your FEET
(I mean like all the time instead of just by special dispensation for extra points in front of a goal) hence why it's called FOOTball.

If you ask me the terminology is just misappropriation. 'American Football' ought to be called 'American Rugby' since THAT'S the sport it is clearly derived from. Would save the international crowd the whole unnecessary football / 'soccer' confusion. And just re-name baseball 'American Cricket' while we're at it and we're done.

Last edited:
By the way I hope all of you chaps are pulling for Forest on Saturday

don't even know where Huddersfield is

I was born in Nottingham, so Forest was the team I always pretended to support when feeling left out of footie conversations.

But in a desperate bid to drag this thread back on track before the mods close it, I have always found coke to be like any other stimulant in that 'the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' - especially when behind @darvocet21 in the queue... ;)

I was born in Nottingham, so Forest was the team I always pretended to support when feeling left out of footie conversations.

But in a desperate bid to drag this thread back on track before the mods close it, I have always found coke to be like any other stimulant in that 'the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' - especially when behind @darvocet21 in the queue... ;)
I still have family in Nottingham, Leicester and Scotland

With stimulants, you can get off somehow but your equipment won't work. With opiates, your equipment works fine but you can't get off.

There's no winning this one Xd