• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cocaine nasal spray conservation

Mitsch

Greenlighter
Hi,

I recently figured out that mixing cocaine with distilled water or physiological serum would make an ideal replacement for the the solution usually found in nasal sprays. And indeed, it is very satisfying.

But being a (very) moderate user, if mix 0.5g in 5cl it can take up to 3 weeks to consume it.

So I'm worried about cocaine degradation and the possible development of bacteria in the solution. Could someone enlighten me about the chemical/biological processes that happen in such a solution, how to sterilize the vial (which unfortunately is made of plastic) and which conservatives would be appropriate ?

You could use isopropyl or ethanol to disinfect the vial but as far as keeping bacteria from growing again I am not sure.
You want to be careful to let the ethanol or isopropyl evaporate completely as they have a drying effect on mucous membranes and would likely be bad for your sinuses.
A bacteriostatic agent in distilled water could be used but I am not aware of one that is not toxic or mutagenic so that is another thing you want to watch out for.

A bacteriostatic agent in distilled water could be used but I am not aware of one that is not toxic or mutagenic

benzyl alcohol? potassium sorbate? parabens etc?

cocaine in aqueous solutions will degrade over a span of hours-days via hydrolysis. so store it dry and moisture free for best effects

Thanks for your answers.

I guess the best to do would be to prepare just a few milliliters for use over a couple of days and keep the vial filled with ethanol the rest of the time.

So bad cocaine is not stable in water, that would have been a very practical and safe way to store it. And I don't think any other liquid would be appropriate. Though, from my experience, it doesn't hydrolyse so quickly ; after 5 days it's still al least half as potent as it was when prepared.

maybe theres a way to keep the coke more stable in the nasal spray? like a certain ph level?.. or maybe using something else besides water?

my friend does this so I figured I'd look it up to see if its actually a good idea. It definitely does the trick still and its very easy on the sinuses, in terms of harm reduction I would recommend using nasal sprays frequently while you're snorting things to keep your nostrils working properly.

also nasal spray infused cocaine would probably be the most incognito way to do it %)

you can refrigerate it, try to buffer it at ph 7, add EDTA to remove any metal ions present, use distilled water etc but even then the best solution is just to prepare the nasal spray in small batches and use it within maybe 72 hours of preparation.

Yeah, as said above, pH 7 to really slow down the hydrolysis as well as low temperatures. Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning there will always be a bit of water but even if it didn't, transesterification could still take place and you could end up with cocaethylene (this isn't necessarily a bad thing), so I don't think ethanol would be a suitable solvent.

I'm thinking maybe store it in a non-nucleophilic solvent that will dissolve it, and which isn't that toxic to intake in the amounts that will be needed. But I'm not too sure what type of solvent could satisfy those conditions.